Rogan

Џон Константин - Хелблејзер

I didn't even know Neil wrote an intro to O.S.!

Good job, old son!

I love your title also: ??? ??????-?????? :lol:

Neil did indeed write an intro to Original Sins, and a quote from it can still be found today on the current trade back cover...

And maybe your browser can't pick up on the tile of the thread... i used cyrillic writing.

Can ANYONE supply me with this Gaiman intro?

Damn! That's great, Rogan. Won't they have to get you the issues you don't have, so that you have the full story for translating the trades?? Not that you dont know the full story but still.......

I already have all issues of HB, and they know it :(

all i need is for Slick's two issues to arrive, and i'm all set for the future... :p

Jamie's e-mail address is available on his site

i'll look for it there, then... thanks!

He's a great guy to talk to also! Very nice and personable.

You can mention my name to suck up to him, Rogan....Just kidding! :biggrin:  I'm sure he doesn't know my name.

I'm sure of that too... ;)

still, good to gear he's willing to reply to folks, i can now nag him for an interview or something...

So the Serbian version will be full of awful puns and hieroglyphs then...

KIDDING! :D I'm very happy for you, Rogan! Must be cool to be Serbias greatest capacity on all things Constantine, eh?

Does the job pay well then?

Puns are already there, but it's hard translating them ("nice day for the race. What race? The human race, sucker" - giving me problems... )

i don't know how much they pay, i don't do it for the money. i'd do this for free.

Congrats Rog.

Keep the crap puns to a minimum though, eh?

I'll try. i DO take my translating job seriously.

Congratulations, Rogan. You've got a lot of work ahead of you with Delano's purple prose...

Does your editor plan to collect 9-12 if this book sells well?

He IS considering it, so that's why he's thinking of dropping the #9, so he can push out trades of complete HB, if the first one sells well, maybe even with those swampy episodes crossover included...

Does this mean you'll get free Hellblazer comics then ?

only aseveral copies of my translated work in serbian, when it's poublished... i can send one to you, then... :p

i'm sorry, John, you're still my main dealer.

Is there a Serbian word for 'Scabo'?

:tongue:

Yes, we say "Grebator" - he who scrapes stuff from others, Scratcher...

Rogan has not been on the forum much at all since he got his new job :(

Does this mean we have lost our most prodigious and entertaining poster to <gasp> the REAL WORLD?????? The Corporate world at that??? What's the world coming to.

nah, i'm still here, Abhi...

Can ANYONE supply me with this Gaiman intro?

Try asking John Goodrich from the Ultimate Hellblazer Index. He has tonnes of Constantine related stuff.

it seems i'll have to... i still hope aginst hope Ade will have it, r any of the old-school folks, who bought their first trades way back during the early/mid 90's

it seems i'll have to... i still hope aginst hope Ade will have it, r any of the old-school folks, who bought their first trades way back during the early/mid 90's

Rogan, by the intro, do you mean the bit of writing that the following link has an excerpt from:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1563890526...203#reader-page

I don't think this is an intro, but a review.......

I have the early edition of Original Sins and I vaguely remember something by Gaiman in it, but my copy is in India and I won't get to take a look in it till Dec.

Sorry :(

Hey - I can read the title of this thread!! (John Constantine - Hellblazer). Four years of struggling through Russian classes at school were not entirely wasted then. Congratulations Rogan.

Congrats on this, Rogan.

A quick question - how will you go about interpreting the dialogue - do you aim to make JC obviously English, or will you use Serbian colloquialisms?

well, i'll rely on some serbian slang, though i'll try and use the one that was spoken by my dad and his crew, during the 70's, and not this modern Gen-X crap the youth nowadays have. though, truth to be told, most of the direct translations of J.C.'s colloquialisms are more than appropriate - "me old son", "mate", etc.

some will most likely require analogies in my own language, but i'll try to find appropriate ones, and not the first that comes to mind, if i don't find it adequate ("hair of the dog", "pull the other one"...)

Well congratulations Rogan on getting this gig. Good for you, and for all future Hellblazer fans who read Serbo-Croatian. 8-)

Hell, i'll even TRY to sneak up the forum adress, maybe write an accompanying piece, and list this forum/website as one of the resources for all things J.C.

Hell, i'll even TRY to sneak up the forum adress, maybe write an accompanying piece, and list this forum/website as one of the resources for all things J.C.

Ha, yes. Until I can get Tim Bradstreet to work me into a Hellblazer issue, I shall depend on my good friend Rogan who is dependable and good and a friend. The Serbo Croatian issues may have a smaller circulation but hey, your name in a Hellblazer comic is your name in a Hellblazer comic :wink:

I can (re)name that pakistani quik-e-mart shopowner after you...? ;)

(i kid... i know you don't like such stereotypical generalisations)...

i need to ask Bradstreet if he has some more unused material, like that design for Mucuous membrane album lying around, and if he'd give us something we could use for free (a perfect way to suck up to the editors...)

Little help needed from Ade, James or McMach - "Venus of the Hardshell" - is there any slang meaning to it, what's a hardshell in this context?

(i hate trnaslating poetry. it forces me to be creative :angry:)

It's hardsell not "hardshell".

The hardsell is an aggressive advertising technique where the product is practically forced down the consumer's throat as a vital part of their lifestyle rather than an optional extra - "Drink lemsip or your boss will sack you", "sort out your hair with this shampoo or nobody will like you", "only this car can make your life worthwhile."

In this case, The Venus of the Hardsell is some kind of totem figure for 80s Western Capitalism, replacing mankind's love for fellow man with a self-serving lust for the accumulation of wealth. Or something.

The only pun I can think of is that in Botticelli's famous painting of The Birth of Venus, she is rising from a shell.

thanks, James!

i dunno why, but i always seem to see the text as "venus of the hardshell", which now annoys me...

now all i have to do is think up a serbian word for hard$ell...

my uni doesn't have marketing lecturers... :(

i know a few terms that could be applied, but they'e too lenghty, so i need a one-word thinge, to make it work as a real song lyric...

Rogan, perhaps you could try and send a charming little e-mail to this lady... It's just one word you need, maybe she won't charge you for it.

:wink:

my pride, my finances and the fact she is from MACEDONIA (not Serbia) stop me from doing that...

No.

It's a specific advertising term.

Okay, imagine you're selling a product designed to relieve the effects of the common cold.

ADVERT 1: The Softsell

A woman at home on her couch, wrapped in scarves and blankets. Everything is grey and miserable. She has a runny red nose and piles of used tissues around her. She's quite the most pathetic sight you can imagine.

Then she makes herself a cup of your delicious lemony drink and takes a sip. Suddenly, her congestion clears; she smiles and lies back as she kicks off the blankets and loosens the scarves. The scene blooms into warm reds and yellows.

MESSAGE: You should buy our product because it will make you feel better.

ADVERT 2: The Hardsell

A woman at home on her couch, obviously suffering a horrible cold. A man in exactly the same position. The man drinks your delicious lemony cure-all and goes back to work.

A week passes, with each day shown in split-screen. On the left hand side, the woman sits on her couch snivelling. On the right-hand side, the man gets on with his job, with the vim and vigour of someone who's at the height of physical health.

After seven days, the woman returns to work only to find that she's lost her job, since they've decided that they only need one person to get the job done. The man who drunk the lemony drink gets on with work whilst the woman packs up her stuff.

MESSAGE: You should buy our product because the world is full of vile bastards and you'll lose your job, home and happiness if you dare take a day off work. Only we can save you from bankruptcy and suicide! Buy it! Buy it!

crap. we practically didn't know what marketing was, up until 3 years ago. we still haven't formed a "marketingspeak", or at least, not one that would be as widely known to people who might buy Hellblazer.

so i am looking for my options, but if push comes to shove, i might just go with propaganda, which is a term used a lot here for agressive advertising for larger firms, as well as regimes.

Hmm, do you have any "enforcement" type words that might work? I just remember a friend of mine, a marketing major, describing hardsell to the exchange students.

"Imagine you have a product, and you want to sell it. With the softsell you'd make them want it. Fluffy bunnies and babies and flowers and stuff. With the hardsell you'd make them afraid not to have it. Think the mafia showing up to your door and saying you WANT to pay them for protection, 'cause if you don't they're gonna break your knees."

hmmmnnnh... i'll look into it, but i'm still skeptical. i'm sure i'll find a suitable one soon. Thanks!