Mr. Tom Willecome

If STH went to San Diego would you come too?

If Straight To Hell went to San Diego would you come too?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. If Straight To Hell went to San Diego would you come too?

• Hell Yeah!!! I love angry Welshmen, friendly Irishmen and wry, laconic Northerners.
    • Nope, you can piss up a rope, Taffy.

Go on. It'll be fun.

Basically I'm seeing if we could possibly get a global forum get together going.

John says he won't be able to make this year's San Diego Con and that the only way he'll be able to do it at all is if a load of us go.

So, is anyone up for San Diego 2006?

Ooh, "wry." I like it when people say I'm wry.

I'd like to go, but to be honest it's pretty unlikely. By 2006 I'll have finished my journo course and (best case scenario) I'll have started work on some local paper somewhere. I'll probably be saving up for a flat or something and will have exhausted everything I've saved up this year. I won't have enough for a return flight to California, travel insurance, food, bed, breakfast and beer. Not to mention money for tacky gifts.

2007 though...

:sad:

As much as I would love to go to SDCC and meet everyone I'm sure it's not (nor will it become) economically feasible for me. I'm several thousands of dollars in debt to the federal gov for my education, I'm currently unemployed, can't find a decent paying job and with Bush back in the big seat I can't see my situation changing for the better anytime soon.

You guys wanna come to the MotorCity Con instead? We got...um...Scott Rosema! And....Guy Davis and JO Barr! We also got.....um.....oh nevermind.

:mad: <-crabby

That's the most sinister thing I've ever read.

When is the SD con, exactly? Which month? its very unlikely though as I too am in debt for my education and by 2006 I'm either going to be in grad school and entrenching myself Further into debt. Or I'll probably be unemployed. And going all the way from Pennsylvania to California may be a bit inadvisable for me.......possibly even India to California if I can't get a job/scholarship.

There's no chance of meeting somewhere closer to the East Coast is there :icon_frown:

Why does all the good stuff happen far away from me? I really wanted to go to Fiddler's Green too.

I wish I could go, but money is a big issue. I'm not exactly sure how I'll be paying the extra semester at the uni I'll be needing, let alone a plane ticket to the US. I really, really wish we could all meet, but unless someone wins the lottery to pay for a few plane tickets, it won't be happening, at least not with me included. :icon_cry:

Guest spiderlegs

2006 is not out of the realm of possibilities for me. It's far enough in the future to plan out, plus my brother is stationed there and my wife has not met him yet, so she would be easy to sell on a trip to San Diego.

If this is a go, I will seriously try and make it.

I'd love to say yes, so i will, but i think it's WAAAAY too expensive, unlike UK, whic is just around the corner...

I'd love to go for a ride on a plane.

However, I'm not sure it's worth the money when all I'll be doing is sitting around in the hotel bar talking shit with John, Tom and whoever else turns up.

I'd love to go for a ride on a plane.

However, I'm not sure it's worth the money when all I'll be doing is sitting around in the hotel bar talking shit with John, Tom and whoever else turns up.

Surely you're joking? San Diego's con is somewhat bigger than London's or Bristol's, and San Diego is really beautiful. I'm sure you'd find something to do other than bar boozing. :cool:

I really wish I could get over to London, because I've always wanted to go there, but I'm leery of the expense given that I'm not working and don't know when that will change. Michigan would probably be the most central place in the U.S. given that so many of use are there or only a state or two away, though I'd rather not do that plane trip or spend that money either. San Diego is the biggest and reportedly the best convention, and SD is totally worth seeing, especially for British and Irish people used to rainy weather. I have wanted a sufficient excuse for years to take the trip down there, and it would be lovely to see you all there, or as many as could make it.

i heard San Diego sank into the sea, and that it's now called Sub Diego, policed by Aquaman.

Usually the last Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in July. I've checked out parts of the last three cons here and it's always heavy on the Vertigo/Hellblazer writers...Gaiman, Carey, Azzarello, Bradstreet, Diggle usually always show with Karen Berger keeping everyone in line. It's friggin' huge and there are plenty of people dressed up whose plastic swords always wind up hitting you in the head as you walk by.

I'd love to go. If I do it will be part of my grand scheme to travel the US. I wouldn't just go to SD. If I cross the pond, I'll knock about for a few weeks - might even hit Vegas or Detroit ;)

By all account though the Con is actually something worth visiting in its own right and San Diego's meant to be a cool town to hang out in. Realisitically mind the European-centric nature of the forum means that any UK gig is more likely to have a higher attendance.

We've been growing year on year (all two of im) and I'm looking forward to the time when I can regale a crowd of 20+ Staight To Hellers with how it all started with myself and James in the lobby of the Bloomsbury Holiday Inn.

Prefably this regaling won't be taking place behind (metal) bars.