JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #215

Your marks out of 10 for #215  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for #215

Finally got to read it, and I rated it a 9. I agree that the art was, although very beautiful, not very good storytelling-wise.

That's why I had to give it an 8. The angel part was just too confusing. Carey's writing made up for that fact with Clarice's dialogue but I thought it would of read better if there were captions, along with the two-page image, to explain what was happening in John's words. That, I think, would have added some much needed clarity. Other than that, Manco's art was dark and brilliant as always (I loved his 'dark smile' in shadow during his speech) and Constantine's dialogue.

I think he appeared to be acting pious outwardly, yes, but we readers know that he was bashing the club for doing what he does himself, and IMHO, I think he bashed them viciously because he was bashing himself at the same time. He could've delivered that speech to himself in the mirror, but he uses it to smack some sense into some young magician's that don't know where they'll end up...which is right where he was that day...

And there you have it.

I'd like to tell you what I thought of the issue but DC has been lagging on comps. The last one I got was issue 211!!!. I am about to get Medieval on someone.

Again I'd like to thank you one and all for the constant support during my run on the title.

It was without a doubt a fantastic ride with JC and company. Biggest thanks to Axel Alonso, Karen Berger, Will Dennis, Jon Vankin, Casey Siejas, Jenny Lee, Warren Ellis, Brian Azzarello, Mike Carey and the rest of the gang.

I love seeing Mike go out on such a high note, and with that last cover I feel I did the same.

I bid you all adieu for now as this chapter has come to a close, though I'll never be far away and will most certainly be checking in from time to time.

And with that I leave you with my parting gift. Those so terribly hurt by my leaving the book take heart ;) I've got wind of what I think is very special news indeed about the next "regular" cover artist. I wish I could be the one to break the news but everything will come to light in due course.

Suffice it to say that my blessing is on this WHOLE HEARTEDLY, not that anyone needs my blessing. I have already seen one of the covers and I literally swell with pride. You will be in VERY good hands my little sweethearts.

Cheers to all and to all a good night!

- TB

And with that I leave you with my parting gift. Those so terribly hurt by my leaving the book take heart ;) I've got wind of what I think is very special news indeed about the next "regular" cover artist. I wish I could be the one to break the news but everything will come to light in due course.

Suffice it to say that my blessing is on this WHOLE HEARTEDLY, not that anyone needs my blessing. I have already seen one of the covers and I literally swell with pride. You will be in VERY good hands my little sweethearts.

You'll keep dropping by though, wont you?

Encouraging news, this, about the new regular cover artist. Though, the person that would excite me the most on the lines that you seem to be experiencing would be Dave McKean! Now *that's* a dream.....

McKean's been there and done . . . God I hate that expression.

Anyway, no, not McKean . . . Even better.

And I mean that in a "Dave's already played on this playground" kind of way.

I mean in the sense that this will be fresh.

Not in a "Dave VS this other guy" - artist VS artist kind of way.

What I mean is . . . . McKean would be AWESOME, but here's something you haven't really seen before.

- TB

Tim!!!

So happy to see you drop by. Don't be a stranger. Just because you're not on the title any longer doesn't mean we don't adore you all to pieces. If you were here I'd give you a hug. And then you'd run away. ;D

Thanks for the tidbit about the new cover artist. I can't wait to hear the news, if you're happy with it, then I'm happy too. :)

Hey, Tim - glad to hear such great news... we trust your judgement (well, *I* do) on this...

Christian - i thought Sienkiewicz is Marvel's boy now? Don't ghet your hopes up too much.

What's he doing now?! I haven't seen any work from him in ages! I think that issue of "X-Force" he did the cover for back in 2000 was the last I've seen of him, unless I'm totally forgetting something! Did Marvel give him an exclusive contract and then lock him the basement???

He's doing art on the 2nd Black Widow mini, finishing Sean Phillips's layouts, and he does covers for that as well. Also, he did covers for the brill DD : Redemption... plus, i think he did a few pages for the Young Avengers Special #1 recently...

Now if that's Tim Bradstreet I missed a day ago I'll be damned. I'm going to have to do some mindswipes pretty soon. Speaking of #215, that was awesome. Like everyone else though, I too did get confused at the angel part, but then the magicians in the back of the club waiting to beat the shit out of John really got my knickers tied in a knot. I say f'em all, John Constantine!

Like everyone else though, I too did get confused at the angel part,

I still don't understand what people thought was confusing about the angel.

I'm confused about what Josh thought was confusing about the people who thought the angel was confusing. The confusing thing about this confusing situation is that I don't understand why people don't understand, I mean it's confusing! I understand how some people would be confused, but what I really don't understand is why they would be confused by this particular bit. THAT'S the confusing part, and it's the part I don't understand. And then there's the angel. Talk about confusing! Then throw in Josh, then the people (confused) who didn't understand and were confused. It's hard to understand where the confusion began. It's even harder to understand where the confusion will end.

Confused?

Me too, but it's only because I don't understand.

What were we talking about?

- TB

What I mean is . . . . McKean would be AWESOME, but here's something you haven't really seen before.

Excellent. I can't wait. I think Hellblazer has benefited from the variety of styles that have graced its covers these last 200+ issues.

A (wishful) thought just occured me - maybe we'll get Jock as a regular HB cover artist after mr. Lauren...?!

A (wishful) thought just occured me - maybe we'll get Jock as a regular HB cover artist after mr. Lauren...?!

Man, I'm with you on that. Jock Hellblazer covers would be outstanding. Having him on interiors would be even better.

Read the issue a little too late to add anything new. The littlle crossdressing jibe at the ever-suffering Swampy had me in stitches for a while. Overall, a fantastic issue. I'm only giving it a 9 because the blocking in the angel scene was a bit confusing (ie. the people in the room all suddenly disappeared, except John and Clarice). Perfect script.

Look I love Jock's work, however i dont think that it is suitable for Hellblazer.

A game of cat and Mouse contained foar too much posturing for me, it needs to more grounded.

Again, i adore his Losers work, inside and out (Fuck they're on my wall), but I dont think that it's Hellblazer style.

My two pence worth.

Again, that is not to say that he cant do a more laid back and realistic style.

But i'm only familiar with his fantastic pop covers and Loser art.

New artist after Lauren's 7 issues I presume?

Where is Tim's avatar from?

I mean is it a prexisting image?

Again Jae Lee for Hellblazer inside or out.