Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Girl, by Milligan & Fegredo

I just re-read Milligan & Fegredo's "Girl" mini from 1996. It's poorer than I recall from first reading.

Things I was gonna comment on, but won't:

1. The hit-and-miss nature of Peter Milligan's writing. It's consistently inconsistent.

2. Peter's tendency to start with a great premise and not know where to go with it.

3. The grating narrative box that seemed to be dropped onto the final panel as an afterthought, thereby undermining the (already iffy) ending of the story. Nothing to say about that.

Thing I will bring up:

1. Is that John Constantine in issue 2, page 15, panels 1, 4 & 5?

— Jason

I think it's just a J.C. lookalike. They're all over the comics world.

"Girl" never impressed me. Perhaps because I hunted it down later instead of buying it when it came out. I had just read too many comics like this by the time I got to "Girl".

Milligan is a very hit or miss writer. When he's on, he's one of my favourite comic writers, other times he ranges from "a good read" to "barely passable".

I'd say he is very much an "idea writer", in that he comes up with these brilliant story ideas, but then leaves them as just vague ideas floating around a plot. He doesn't know how to develop those crazy ideas to their fullest (which I see as being the problem of doing too many drugs! :lol: ). Morrison has this problem, at times, but not as much as Milligan. When Milligan does manage to follow through on those ideas, he crafts some of the best comics....although, come to think of it, I'm not sure I've read a Milligan multi-part comic where the last issue hasn't let me down....

Still, he's penned enough amazing stories to make up for the misses along the way, I think.

Girl was fucking awesome, you're both insane. Early-to-mid Vertigo Milligan was unbeatable. Shame he's not done anything outrageously odd for years.

Yes please. :) But now that you mention it, even X-Statix was lame compared to the gobsmacking beginning of Pete's X-Force. S'pose you can't blame the man for losing enthusiasm after the Princess-Di-story debacle.

James, Girl just didn't work for me. Lovely Fegredo art, but the script could've done with another draft. Your mileage may vary. By the way, I got you the Boosh season 2 DVD for Christmas.

— Jason

"Girl just didn't work for him"

I love all of "X-Statix" and Milligan's "X-Force"!

I guess all that remains to be said is that if Girl don't work for you, there's always boy! :biggrin:

James, Girl just didn't work for me. Lovely Fegredo art, but the script could've done with another draft. Your mileage may vary. By the way, I got you the Boosh season 2 DVD for Christmas.

:D

It might not be as good as I remember it, actually - I just read it through the once, but I honestly don't recall having any problems with it at the time. What did you think was wrong with it?

Apart from that caption clumsily added to the final panel, I can't point to any specific objective flaws; I just thought it didn't quite hang together.

Of course it's meant to be (for want of a better word) disorienting, but even within its own context, it isn't really coherent. For me there was no moment where the penny dropped fully. Somewhere you have to draw the line between "intriguingly open to interpretation" and "incomprehensible".

I could also point to the lack of a climax, and to that seemingly throwaway resolution.

It almost feels like it was supposed to be 4 issues, but Pete was told to wrap it up in the third. :)

Hmph. This isn't satisfactorily expressing what I thought was flawed about the comic, but I'm trying to avoid re-re-reading it.

Maybe I just don't get it. I mean, the pat ending, and even that final caption, might be clues that it should be approached differently from the way I approached it.

James, I didn't have any problems with it on first read, either. I'd be interested to hear your reaction to another reading.

— Jason