Sign in to follow this  
sethos

Frank Miller's 300 - The Movie

I had to brief a friend about Frank Miller who was meeting with Miller and the producers just after they'd shown the director's cut of 300 to him (Miller, that is). He said he only had four notes for Snyder, but he didn't say what the notes were. So one of them could've been, "never touch one of my books again!" ;)

Actually, Miller was very happy with the film, it seems.

Wow balthy, thats much appreciated!

Or to put it bluntly:

FRICKIN JESUS SON OF GOD!

This film will be spleen-rupturing goodness.

Gargh! My school newspaper has a deal with Warner Bros. to receive free tickets for promotional purposes. The first movie we were gonna get tickets for was this one and I totally raised my hand before that other girl, but the arts editor gave them to her! She didn't even know what it was about!

Gargh! My school newspaper has a deal with Warner Bros. to receive free tickets for promotional purposes. The first movie we were gonna get tickets for was this one and I totally raised my hand before that other girl, but the arts editor gave them to her! She didn't even know what it was about!

Sounds like she needs a discrete karate chop to the neck on the way out of class!!! :icon_sam:

I agree on the imax; that way I can absorb more testosterone.

Heh heh, awesome, JMac, thanx for the clip. I just can't wait for the next few days, dammit! I'm going to see it with some dudes from my film class. Should be great.

I already posted this in the movie thread, but I'll post it here too...

Saw the midnight show on Thursday night, was a fun time indeed. Not one of the greatest films I've seen, but it was rather enjoyable and pleasing. Gerard Butler kicked ass in this role. This was his best role that I've seen him in yet, and the first scene of King Leonidas fighting at battle was probably the best scene in the film and one of the most kick ass ever.

I saw the midnight viewing as well. It was a good movie, not great. The fight scenes were nice, the music was oddly appropriate, and it was well-shot in that Sin City style. Gerard Butler was really great in his role, and it was a fun film, overall. Just not that great.

Yeah, it is a great time none the less to watch with a pumped audience. But if you're looking for a lot of logic and story, you could just pass it by as its basically just a slug fest of a film with lots of body parts pleasing for both sexes. I can see where some people are critics are disappointed, as I thought it was overly hyped in the end, but it was still very pleasing.

Yes, but I didn't mean it as an insult. What I was getting at is that you (Balthy) are a pretty forgiving moviegoer, especially when it comes to "fun" films (action, sci-fi, etc.) and if you were underwhelmed then I most assuredly will be. Plus, I've read a bunch of reviews now and they are (to put it mildly) mixed. The comparison to a video game frequently comes up, 9 out of 10 times as negative.

Tangentally, I started thinking about the GN (I just read it for the first time a week ago) and I realized that it's fairly silly and indicative of all the things I both love and hate about Frank Miller's work.

Anyway, I plan on getting sufficiently blasted before seeing it, checking my brain at the door, and going along for the ride. I'm just disappointed because I'd been looking forward to the film for quite some time and I honestly thought it'd be one of the year's best. Doesn't seem like things will shake out that way.

THIS IS HOMOEROTIC SPARTA!!!

Tangentally, I started thinking about the GN (I just read it for the first time a week ago) and I realized that it's fairly silly and indicative of all the things I both love and hate about Frank Miller's work.

I'd agree with that - there are some wonderful, memorable scenes, but plenty of Miller's weaknesses as a writer sneak in with them.

It's well worth owning, though, warts and all - if nothing else, it's a stunning book of art. Some of his best work, to my eyes.

I liked it very much, even the writing- The characters are interesting, the art and design lovely (Like the Immortals), a heroic tale about hope, battle and determination.

Sure, its unbelievable, but the real story is too to begin with.

And there are some cool quotes included.

Its far more serious than Sin City without being excessively so, to my mind.

Not that its rock steady that the films going to rock.