Sign in to follow this  
sethos

Frank Miller's 300 - The Movie

The movie had a lot of extremely uneccessary stuff that wasn't in the book. I didn't like the music, but that's only because I heard different music in my head when I read the book.

Still, it was fun as hell.

I thought the film Rawked!

Many people describe it as a cross between Sin City and Gladiator but it was much better than either. I would say it's the opposite of Troy, whereas that film took a myth and tried to make it realistic, 300 takes a real historic event and turns it into something mythic.

Plus I would say it's the most accurate comic to film translation so far. So if you didn't like the GN, or if you want a historical documentary, or if you can't not view things without any modern day baggage, then perhaps you should stay home and rent Beaches instead. :)

Oh and I loved the score...the best music to work out to since the Conan the Barbarian Soundtrack.

Didn't care much for it. I'll go into detail later; it's late and I want to watch something good before I go to bed. Maybe Sin City....

Today I will watch 300 in Kinepolis Gent with the best company one can ever have for such movie:

Kostantinos, a Greek guy from Corinth.

Before the movie begins I'll remark several times that it's a comic adaptation, not a historical recreation.

SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God I want the comic.

Kosta usually was saying, 'yes, that's what it's told they said', 'I don't know if they are following the story in this point... wait, wait... yes, women usually said that to spartans before battle' and so on and so on.

I liked the movie. A lot.

So no one cared about the "acting"?

I thought the acting was pretty much suited to the style and content of the movie. The one major objection I did have in that regard was that the queen's Rousing Monologue was severely lacking in rouse-factor and they should've picked someone that could have delivered it better.

I thought the acting was pretty much suited to the style and content of the movie. The one major objection I did have in that regard was that the queen's Rousing Monologue was severely lacking in rouse-factor and they should've picked someone that could have delivered it better.

So no cringing?

I and my sister were pretty unhappy with some delivery and body language.

"Traitor! Traitor!!"

Uff...

To be fair to Dominic West, he sure didn't have much to work with, that script was pretty bad. His character was a fucking cardboard, basement bargain, cutout of a villain.

Oh, you meant the Queen. Her acting was so-so. I forgave her for any missteps she may have taken on the basis that I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I thought she was beautiful, but in a non-obvious way (as opposed to most female leads in movies).

Ohhhh, you meant the Senators. Meh, the script was pretty bad so unless you have a bunch of scene-stealers (actors like Alec Baldwin, Jack Nicholson, et al) you're going to get some bad acting. The dialogue throughout was boring.

Honestly, I thought The 300 Spartans was a better film of the same battle. At least in that movie you got some characterization of Xerxes and his people, not to mention Leonidas and his generals.

But for sure there are more mutilations in 300.

Anyway, how close to the comic is the movie?

Fairly close. The comic is short so the filmmakers had no choice but to add in a bunch of stuff (the monsters and beasts, the Senate, the "traitor" subplot, etc.). I can't think of much that was left out, except maybe the *cough*cough* subtlety Miller was going for.... which was to turn the volume down to 9, whereas the filmmakers went way past 11.

300 Spartans and not one chest hair among them.

:icon_evil:

I bet half the budget went on chest wax.

I so agree, totally underwhelming speech. It was pretty nice to see Theron get gutted though, that'd rouse me.

I'm not reading this thread for i care not of your puny mortal opinions but i will say from a technical point this film was rubbish, the print i watched a week after UK release was scratched and grainy as fuck god know what kind of telecine they used when going from the digital masters but it was totally arse. Perhaps it was a stylistic choice but the film looked really washed out to me but I'm putting money on it being the monkies at Cineworld who fucked it up.

Digital production still can't hold a candle to plain old Polyethylene, maybe when Digital Cinema really takes off in this country things will get better.

Our hungarian copy was fucking grainy and blurred too- The former phenomenon being visible prominently, the latter in the background.