Keeyah

Authority/Stormwatch

I thought I would start this topic again. Since I found the old one pretty useful.

I'm making my way through the Ellis Storwatch series and I was wondering about a couple of things. In Lightning Strikes, in the Jack Hawksmoor story. (I can't remember much about it and it's at home) But he meets a woman and she tells him to take of his clothes, he warns her before he does it and when she sees him naked she is repulsed. How weird could he possibly look down there? His chest is fine and I thought the only other outwardly odd thing was his feet. Anyone know anymore?

That was just Warren having a laugh.

Be interested to hear what you make of Jack's progression as a charcter - if you compare his attitude to killing in the issue you mention to his actions in The Authority you'll notice something of a difference.

No-one spoil the possibly related bit from Change Or Die!

That's one thing I never understood. Hawksmoor's dong scared a lady bad enough to get him out of a jam in Stormwatch. But in Authority he's quite the ladies man. What gives?

Ah, yes, i can see what Keeyah meant by this thread being... "useful".

Note to self : join a superhero team ASAP.

That's one thing I never understood. Hawksmoor's dong scared a lady bad enough to get him out of a jam in Stormwatch. But in Authority he's quite the ladies man. What gives?

Maybe it's ribbed. Looks bad but feels good.

Eurgh.

That was just Warren having a laugh.

Be interested to hear what you make of Jack's progression as a charcter - if you compare his attitude to killing in the issue you mention to his actions in The Authority you'll notice something of a difference. 

No-one spoil the possibly related bit from Change Or Die!

I didn't mean for you guys to think about his dick that much! Yes Rogan that is useful.

John, Ive noticed a hell of a change an Jack's reaction to killing someone then compared to now. Seeing him cry about knocking off that crazy president's son was weird. Does he change after he kills Rose Tattoo? Is that the bit in Change or Die you told people not to spoil? Does he start sleeping with Rose? Could I possibly ask more questions at the same time?

I've never read "Stormwatch"....Hawksmoor....Does anyone know if this is an homage to Michael Moorcock by Ellis? He had a character known as Hawksmoon.

Have you read Change Or Die Keeyah ? If not, I'll leave you to your suspense, it's a corking story and not one I'd like to spoil for you.

Christian, I wouldn't rule it out, I seem to recall Ellis having a fondness for some of Moorcocks work.

Ellis said on the old WEF Forum a time or two that the characters were more or less reimagined between Stormwatch and The Authority. His contention being that he couldn’t write The Authority for Stormwatch readers, because there weren’t any.

Which is why Hawksmoor’s powers change between the two books.

Aye, but I don't think he was "quite the ladies' man" when Warren was writing it. The obsession with sex came in once Millar started writing I seem to remember (strange coincidence that). The strange pads on his feet, I'd would've thought that they're helping him interact with the city? But did he actually display any new powers between Stormwatch and Authority? His powers were never really fully investigated in Stormwatch - I liked that.

I was quite prepared to accept that, despite his vomit-inducing genetalia (as seen in Stormwatch), that Angie would have no problems with this - the Authority members I'd imagine are quite liberal and broad minded (and I'm sure the Engineer could create a satisfactory- ahem - "socket" that could accomodate whatever alien thing Jack had between his legs). That relationship never seemed weird. But Morrison's last issue had Jack having a sexual relationship with a "normal" girl, which jarred with the aforementioned puking scene. I just chalked it up to bad writing and no care for continuity.

I haven't read Stormwatch or The Authority, but I'd imagine that the name 'Hawksmoor' is Ellis tipping his hat to Nicholas Hawksmoor, legendary architect who designed, among other things, many of the churches in Central London. He's heavily and significantly referred to in one chapter of Moore's From Hell, and given Ellis' known fondness for London (judging from his Hellblazer issues alone), as well as for historical weirdness, it would make sense.

I haven't read Stormwatch or The Authority, but I'd imagine that the name 'Hawksmoor' is Ellis tipping his hat to Nicholas Hawksmoor, legendary architect who designed, among other things, many of the churches in Central London. He's heavily and significantly referred to in one chapter of Moore's From Hell, and given Ellis' known fondness for London (judging from his Hellblazer issues alone), as well as for historical weirdness, it would make sense.

Ellis made mention (again on the WEF) that it was actually a tip of the hat to both Nicolas Hawksmoor and the Moorcock (who he’s friends with) book King of the City

By the way, I like whatever the hell it is that you’ve done to your Avatar

But did he actually display any new powers between Stormwatch and Authority? His powers were never really fully investigated in Stormwatch - I liked that.

Fair point.

he choulden't/diden't merge into walls and such in Stormwatch.

I'm half way through Change or Die. I have decided I really like Winter, he seems like an all round decent guy. Isn't he trapped in the sun now? (I don't really mind spoilers, I pick most of it up around the net anyway.)

Which "Authority" Trade was it that had Millar's story-arc about East Timor?! That was a damn fine TPB! I read my friend, Dave's copy, but I can't remember which one it was!

Aye, but I don't think he was "quite the ladies' man" when Warren was writing it. The obsession with sex came in once Millar started writing I seem to remember (strange coincidence that).

Exactly. That's one of the things I don't like about Millar's stuff. He immediately has to establish the who's fucking who angle. He did it in Ultimate X Men too.

I'm half way through Change or Die. I have decided I really like Winter, he seems like an all round decent guy. Isn't he trapped in the sun now?

Big Winter spoilers....

At the end of Wildcats/Aliens, Winter does indeed end up trapped in the sun.  Possibly.  He returned as a bad guy, I think, in the last Authority run which I haven't read myself

WHAT! Winter's not bad! :angry: God, just when you find a decent guy they die and turn evil on you.

It's quite depressing reading a series when you know that they are going to die. Is Wildcats/Aliens traded?

Yeas, it's collected in the final Stormatch trade I believe.

More Wildcats/Aliens/Stormwatch SPOILERS

It's not that he's really bad but because he soaks up energy his time in the sun drove him mad.

I mentioned this in the old thread but hard-core Winter fans need to read the two-part Sword of Damocles series by Warren Ellis. It's part of a bigger crossover event (Fire From Heaven) but there's a cool throw-down involving Winter that turned him from a nobody to an interesting character and showed an obvious effection on Ellis' part for him.