Keeyah

Authority/Stormwatch

In fairness if even there was a villain that was going to come back from the dead it was him.

Also, we don't even know if it's the same fellow, he could be from another part of the multiverse.

So, I guess you guys are thrilled about the return of Henry Bendix?puke.gif

I was just like "Oh, no!" I don't want him back, and we ALL know he's dead. It's just the cliché comic formula of, "wait...he's not dead?" It's too convenient, overdone, blah, blah, blah...

...And please understand, I love The Authority. It's the only "super hero" comic I even read.

To be fair, he's been "back from the dead" in previous Authority, The Monarchy and Wildcats, so I don't think anyone really believes he's dead in the first place.

I love the Authority too, but the last ongoing series was worse than Millar's run - which even though that was pish too was at least fun at times.

Brubaker's version of the team is the best post-Ellis.

Guest spiderlegs

I admit my experience with The Authority has rather large lapses over the long haul, but how have I missed...er...what's his name...coming back from the dead previously? I mean, he pulled the "Jason/Freddy last gasp before dying attack on Jenny at the end of Stormwatch, but I don't recall the others. I don't read WildCATS or The Monarchy.

Well, we'll see what #6 does.

I'm a Revolution fan too and have been following The Authority since Ellis was writing it. I was sort of expecting the identity of the hooded figure, I guess that part was predictable, but I love the confrontation between Jack and Midnighter. I haven't been able to wrap my mind around Future Apollo vs. Future Jenny Quantum yet but I want to believe that Apollo is the one who has been right all along, and that's only because I like him. Brubaker's take on the series has been keeping me interested so far but what Mystery Man in the Hood does in #6 might make or break that.... By the way I love Jeroen, he's the most whiney of all The Authority but when he decides to whip out the big guns he's pretty frightening. That's what I like about him, a coward and cunning at the same time, even if he's the former more often than the latter.

I'm a new "Authority" fan, just got the first 3 Trades for my birthday. Those were the only "Authority" comics I was really interested in owning.

I like the series a lot. It doesn't seem as innovative as I'm sure it would have were I to read it when Ellis originally started it, as it's probably the most often-copied superhero concept in contemporary comics.

But, Mark Millar's run (or at least his first two story-arcs) was my favourite. I liked it better than Ellis' run. Especially that first Millar story-arc, that was so good. I had read the first issue of Millar's run at a friend's house one time, but never followed up.

Just wanted to give my two cents on the series.

I used to read Stormwatch, pre-Ellis, and lost interest. However, I always liked Jackson King, and even after Stormwatch whenever he popped up in the Wildstorm Universe.

I know he took off to form The Monarchy, but that is all.

So can someone tell me:

-What was The Monarchy all about?

-Was it any good?

-Where is Jackson now?

Guest spiderlegs

Why, that's a spoiler!!

SPOILER:

Yes, it IS true.

Uh...I was responding to Andrew and then his post was deleted. Strangeness wafts at me backwards, it does...

Guest spiderlegs

'S all good, yo...I used to read the old STORMWATCH too back when it sucked ass, with Jim Lee and I forgot the other guy. But Lee was writing, not drawing (thought he helped with the covers. I got the first 8 issues before losing interest until Ellis started on the title. He sure has a way with resurrecting a dead franchise, doesn't he? I've been reading his take on Iron Man and while I'm not hooked, I'll give it another couple of shots before I abandon ship.

read all 5 Stormwatch trades + the Absolute Authority oversized gimmick thingie with Ellis's 12 issues on the title...

...and it didn't suck.

Stormwatch clearly suffered from it being a crap superhero title prior to Ellis's meddling, so it had a bumpy start, and when Bendix left the team and that Samuel L Jackson King guy took over it became a bit meek. didn't like how they killednearly the entire team in a Wildcats/Aliens crossover, just to set up The Authority.

The Authority is fun, especially in the widescreen oversized format that i got from me mate... how's Millar's take on it? Worth reading?

The Human on the Inside OGN is a spin off Millar's run. I thought Millar's take was an entertaining read but the artwork really threw me off. Either way it was fun watching The Authority vs. New Authority during his run. Some people accused it of being over the top in terms of violence and sexuality (it had to be censored). "Earth Inferno" was my favorite Millar story but that's because I like Jeroen.

Yeah there were some scenes edited with regards to Apollo being abused and Shen being made a sex kitten... but I don't want to say more because it might spoil the story.

Naw, they made Millar/Quitely edit it (I shoulda said edit, not censor...) but you can find some of the unedited material floating around on the internet. There's also some kind of myth about Apollo being raped during Millar's run but I've never found evidence for it.

A pretty comprehensive article on the censorship of Millar's Authority can be found here, complete with some panel-by-panel comparisons to the original content. *LINK CONTAINS AUTHORITY SPOILERS*

Don't forget spoilers! Well, sort of.... that link does spoil a few scenes but it's a very good read. I don't think I've seen the Sequartsite before. The last site I saw had only the original pages, no article or anything. Seeing those pages makes me want to kill the the New Authority all over again.

I thought the mention of 'panel-to-panel comparisons' strongly implied that there were spoilers over there. Sorry...

thanks. i'll read this as soon as i get my hands on Millar's Authority oversized hardcover thingie...