Keeyah

Authority/Stormwatch

I just finished the first trade volume of Authority: Revolution that collects the first 6 issues. I used to be so sick of the Authority, as they started to come off as cliches. But this series, thanks in no small part to Ed Brubaker, is an improvement. I really enjoyed the plot of Midnighter having to be the one that has prevent a terrible future. Is Bendix just screwing with Midnighter faking the whole Apollo from future thing? Also, I don't no why but I like Apollo and Midnighter as parents. 2 of the most powerful humans on the planet but they need to be sure to take care of their little girl.

My only complaint is the art, it is not Dustin Nguyen's best. It almost seems unfinished at times.

I can not wait for volume 2.

Guest spiderlegs

OK, how will it end? Who will live? Who will die? What things will change? What will become of The Authority after this arc?

Any takers?

(For the sake of those who haven't read this far, please use the spoilers quote.)

Guest spiderlegs

And so endeth The Authority: Revolutions...

I thought it ended ok. It was a slow build up. I wish the patriotic bad guys at the beginning were used more--I thought they were funny--though, this time last year I was bitching about this arc. It has to be difficult stretching out a story arc over a year. So many things happen in everyone's lives, that your audience has to change as much as the characters and there were some changes.

SPOILER:

Two new Authority members: a new doctor and Red Rose being changed from the Spirit of Life to the Spirit of Death.

I felt Shen was so underused in this arc that she should have been killed off. Her character is so complicated, and I don't think any of the writers ever developed her worth a fuck. I would have liked to see more of what guided her decision to become a monk.

Midnighter and Apollo fighting: I would have drawn it with more close-ups, more frantic. I mean, they fucked each other up. But where was Apollo at the end. He wasn't even in the last issue at all! I know he got fucked up, but not even a frame to show Mifdnighter tenderly comforting hima nd saying "I'm sorry I fucked you up so badly, schmoogums."

Midnighter's dispatching of Bendix was nice and gory. Brilliant piece of art in that frame.

I like Jenny as a teenager. I'm still not sure about the new doctor. Apollo and Midnighter-back together or no? Hawksmoor and Angie are getting stale. Sure, we always get to see them fucking, but they are turning into Jackson and Christine from Stormwatch: cool, yeah, stable, yeah, boring, OH YEAH. Shen was not even used in the last 2 issues, and she got fucked up and almost died in #10. Red Rose as the spirit of Life? Yawn. I don't want 8 Authority members. I'm thinking they might jettison Shen for Rose since they are barely using Shen.

So what's next? The Authority: Resolutions? Some more character shake-ups? I am of the opinion that The Authority has run its course. It no longer is groundbreaking. The characters have changed. They made then lost and now have back their "finer world." That can't be a continuing theme: "a new menace threatens to destroy the Authority's "finer world."

I would like to see one or two more issues that resolve and tie up loose ends, then semi-retire it, but not kill it completely. I'd still like to see a nice oversized special from time to time, I don't know...

As far as I'm concerned Kev is the only true Authority right now.

I was semi-disappointed with the end of Rev. Ennis on the other hand offers a beautiful answer as to why Shen is completely underused.

"I'm just an Asian chick." :lol:?

Guest spiderlegs

Has anyone read Stormwatch: Final Orbit? the traded version of the last 2 issues of Stormwatch and a WildCATS special sandwiched in between?

I would like to discuss it if anyone else is game.

That the one with Aliens in it? I'll give it a re-read tonight and we can talk it over.

Also, I'm really excited about Grant Morrison taking over.

Wasn't there another Kev mini that's supposed to come out very soon...?

Guest spiderlegs
That the one with Aliens in it? I'll give it a re-read tonight and we can talk it over.

Also, I'm really excited about Grant Morrison taking over.

Yeah, that's the one.

Never had given The Authority a chance, but I came across "Magnificent Kevin" and have to say that's one of the greatest things I've read in years. Kevin, as written by Ennis, is a politicaly incorrect unlucky bastard with a personality far more complex than he let's show. Love that character, gonna buy the other trades in which he's featured.

The other two are Kev (book one) and A Man Called Kev (book three).

Kev's a lot of fun, but A Man Called Kev is a bit flat. Feels like Ennis had completely lost interest in the character.

Guest spiderlegs

AUTHORITY PRIME sold out at my usual comic shop, so I had to hit another one. It was decent, the cover is really cool. BUT...

The writer had a pretty big continuity error, I noticed (maybe 2, but the other one would be Darick's bad).

The first was just a drawing reference to when Jenny Sparks killed Henry Bendix the first time. Jenny is so shrouded by energy, I can't tell it's her.

But the glaring one is Winter is there with Stormwatch. In STORMWATCH: FINAL ORBIT, Winter crashed Skywatch into the sun when it became overrun with ALIENS (as in Ridley Scott). Then in AUTHORITY: SCORCHED EARTH, Robbie Morrison resurrected Winter as having absorbed the energy from and became the sentience of, our good old sun. He battled the Authority, asked Hawksmoor to kill him, and then was imprisoned by the Engineer in the core of the sun. But he's not the same Winter. And yet, there he is, with Farenheit and Fuji and the rest...

Also, the writer writes Apollo and Midnighter a little TOO "bitchy" gay instead of real gay.

Haven't read it yet, but maybe Winter's been resurrected as part of the Worldstorm re-boot? Grifter was killed in Armageddon, but he's back now too.

Guest spiderlegs

I hate that shit. But I just discovered, it was explained in STORMWATCH:PHD. Darick emailed the writer when I made a big stink about Winter being imprisoned inside the sun and that he was made of fire. Shot me back this email:

I e-mailed your post to Christos and this was his reply:

As for his questions, yeah, that was Jenny Sparks killing Bendix the first time. As for Winter being alive, it was all explained in STORMWATCH: PHD #5 (not yet collected in TPB form), but we briefly recap it in AP #2 (where Winter is feeling guilty about destroying St. Petersburg). Rather than you having to explain it, tell the guy to either seek out PHD #5 or wait 'til next issue!

So, fuuuck me