andy

Keeping Hellblazer Alive

Guest Hellboy

If Dc did can it wouldnt one of the Indies take it up like Darkhorse or Image ? Especially if some kind of 'fan pressure' could be organised ?

Well, more trades might help since interested =NEW= people would then be able to find out things that may get them buying. There are so many interesting things to glean from HB.

Availability would also be a factor. I have mentioned that HB is so difficult to get over here... If I hadnt found that bookstore I would still be fumbling around looking for them. And that bookstore is NOT mainstream. The sort of people who go there look a trifle weird.

I've gotten several people interested but they cant get to the books either (I was probably a tad more obsessed than they were....). I talk about HB a lot, and I tell interested people about this, and give the link to Vertigo (so they dont have to google)

Actually your debates over here help.... it makes the comic more interesting to a newbie. Anyway, that's what happened to me... I used to read all your arguments and discussions and wondered.

But then, I liked the movie. :D

Where's Rogan when we need him. He translated the 'Original Sins' trade into Serbian. Why is there a Serbian translation and not a Tagalog one? Does a publisher license each trade from DC and then publish it themselves and then take responsibility for how well it sells? Perhaps Hellblazer isn't a proven commodity and a local publisher doesn't want to take a risk on something that isn't a houshold brand like Superman or Batman. You'd think the movie would have helped in that regard. Something to ponder....

If Dc did can it wouldnt one of the Indies take it up like Darkhorse or Image ? Especially if some kind of 'fan pressure' could be organised ?

Not a chance; DC own the characters lock stock and barrel. Even if they completely cancelled Hellblazer, they'd still retain the relevant copyrights.

Nice idea though, and it's a damn shame that the world doesn't work that way.

Ahem. Many Pinoys (the colloquial term for Filipinos) can read and write in English. There wouldnt be any point in translating the work.

And sad to say, TomC - some publishers arent keen on the copyright.

I remember I was reading one of the local Tagalog publications - a comic one - and came across a story I recognized. The author translated one of the books of Harold Robbins (Cant remember the title - but it had Dax) and pretended it was his .... very bad dude. Cant remember his name either.

But a translated version would certainly appeal. Pinoys have this strange fascination for the occult, magic, and men like John Conn.

But I wouldnt like it to be translated. Many translators do such a poor job that sometimes I feel I might do better.

My trades are all imported.

I cant remember if the movie Constantine was a hit OR not.

I did "drag" a few friends into watching it (well, there was a time when all I was talking about was the movie and if they wanted to talk with me, they'd have to know something about it). I have recovered since then, btw.

werent the girl and her family in the opening scene pinoys too?

and i would gladly translate some hb into german, because thats what im studying and i could select that subject later on. and if i really end to be a translator, it would be a cool thing to do.

how got rogan to translate hb and hp?

i mean he is "fresh" isnt he? hows the situation looking there where he lives with all that?

I just bought the Original Sins tradebook on Amazon a few days ago after some encouragement from this forum... it should be here tomorrow!

Hopefully, I can do my part in getting the train rolling...

By the way, in a good move, I saw that DC Comics official site has the first issue in PDF form. That was the seller for me, and I would think, many other geeks on the web.

Even as I am just starting, I see some gaps in the tradebooks, and I really don't want to run into it halfway through. It would be a wise move to patch the holes so that newcomers can break into it easily.

I just bought the Original Sins tradebook on Amazon a few days ago after some encouragement from this forum... it should be here tomorrow!

I see some gaps in the tradebooks, and I really don't want to run into it halfway through.  It would be a wise move to patch the holes so that newcomers can break into it easily.

Yes that would be ideal but a good thing about Hellblazer is you can pick up pretty much any trade at random and figure out what's going on. If you dig "Original Sins" I would recommend your next trade being either "Rare Cuts", "Haunted", "Son of Man", "Telling Tales", or "All His Engines". This site should be able to fill in the blanks and answer any questions you may have.

Hagren -

What opening scene are you referring to? The movie?

The only reference I know in the HB trades is the one in Highwaters or Freezes Over (am awful with titles) ... at any rate this is the one about a killer and an "inn". The wife of the proprietor was Filipina if memory serves .....

Andy -

Not much Constantine merchandise, is there?

Even as I am just starting, I see some gaps in the tradebooks, and I really don't want to run into it halfway through.  It would be a wise move to patch the holes so that newcomers can break into it easily.

Like Andy said, that really isn't something you need to worry about. As long as you read the various books by different authors in the correct order (read the first Ennis trade before the second Ennis trade, and so on), you shouldn't have any trouble at all following what's going on. Most of the individual runs on the title have been self-contained.

Andy -

Not much Constantine merchandise, is there?

I'd like to see more to promote the comic but then Hellblazer doesn't really lend itself to a whole lot of merchandising potential. There's been a statue, an action figure, a shirt, a few posters, a pin, a couple of novels, and I think that's about it. We've yet to see the "Official Hellblazer brand cigerettes" or "Constantine's Own Gin".

It's probably just as well. I don't know what I'll do if I ever see DC use John Constantine to sell stuff like they use Batman and Superman.

Page 90, Freezes Over (hey i got the title right!) the proprietor says "... She's been my wife for 7 years ... since i got her out of a catalog --- Cherry Blossoms. "Philippine women seek american men for love and marriage... Her name was Nateeh..." etc. etc.

The woman is drawn as an Asian. a bit sloe-eyed. If that was true, her name would have been spelt as "Naty" but pronounced exactly how the proprietor pronounced it...

I dont know about the rest of Frusin's women.

I like the Tee that Bonnie gave me.

Admittedly it was one I requested (Brad Pitt was the Constantine in the Tee).

I also like the Tee that was over here...

No music, for example? (I dont remember any)

what is a tee?

and yes, i talked about the movie :)

but we dont need constantine cigarettes, because he already smokes an existing label (silk cuts) and i heard its not much of a cigarette for those who like to smoke the hard way (aka ladys cigarettes- i wonder, why did they choose this type then? was silk cut back then otherwise? or am i wrong?). but the idea itself isnt bad. i would want to have some cool merchandise (constantine trenchcoat, tie, lighter, matches such things spring into my mind) along with the standard (posters, pics, buttons etc).

oh. the way i used it - a t-shirt. we call it tee for short. tees - well, you also call the thingamabob you put the golf balls in order to tee-off (or drive off).

I would like the trenchcoat ....

If they can kep his lungs cancer free, they should get Silk Cut as a sponsor for Hellblazer.

Suppose we all want merchandise, but they're usually just dished out to smaller companies to make and you get... you know underwater action John, Battle damage John (although Cancer John would work for me) etc.

Personally, I like the longer 30 to 40 ish mega arc runs on Hellblazer, no matter how much of a pain it is in the trade world.

I want more than a dozen issues by a writer, because you get the possibility for genuine character development.

As covered already, everything about Hellblazer just isnt condusive to massive mutant bashing sucess.

Seriously.

I feel that an authentic HBO esque television series that stuck pedantically close to the comic, would help.

Relaunch the comic as Constantine, name the series Constantine too.

Use the DVD format properbly.

Get as many extras that link up to the comic as possible etc.

Then you could run the two formats alongside, feeding off each other ancillary

like.

Series one

Delano run.

Series two.

Ennis

Etc.

Fine some tinkering would have to be done.

But this wil leave only smal niggles for the likes of you and me to complain about.

May not be the biggest fan but at gunpoint force Neil Gaiman to write a Hellblazer run, so that every goth girl can crawl out of the shadows to purchase the title.

May not be the biggest fan but at gunpoint force Neil Gaiman to write a Hellblazer run, so that every goth girl can crawl out of the shadows to purchase the title.

This is - I think - the best suggestion on the thread by far :biggrin:

It wouldnt just be the goth girls but everyone with...y'know...good taste :p

Seriously, I'd kill for this to happen, given that Gaiman has written a) the best comics I've ever read b) one of the best HB issues I've ever read c) my first (and among my most beloved) rendition of Constantine - in the original Books of Magic mini.

Gaiman grew bored with comics year ago. Haven't you heard? He's legit now! He just graces all us comic readers with his presence every year as a token of his affection for us fans who made him into a multi-media success.

And, to get all the Goth girls reading "Hellblazer", John needs to wear black, put on make-up, listen to "The Cure", and mope around a dark mansion all night, whining about how much he hates the curse known as life.

I don't know how to keep "Hellblazer" alive. From what's going on with "Swamp Thing", I say pull for a whole series of "Constantine" movies! Vertigo will keep a book with 5 readers going for years if it means movie tie-ins!

I want to see "Hellblazer" become more like "Legends of the Dark Knight" in the coming years. Have different creative teams for every story-arc, and let creators tell stories from any point in J.C.'s history.

What they should make is one of these, but in John Constantine shape.

[Picture of an awesome monkey]

ook.gif

Maybe. I don't think the market for smoking plastic hobos is that large yet.

But I'd buy it.

And what could they do? What could they do? One thing I'd like to see this series accomplish is a better issue dealing with werewolves. The one Jenkins wrote was disappointing (and a little vague, but I need to reread Jenkins' run) and the Swamp Thing one had little to do with Constantine. Heck, write about werewolves and their ties to the devil. Write about the supposed Lupus affair mentioned in Sandman. Maybe have John deal with lycanthropy with his usual arrogant yawn and get bitten (oh, I'd love to see that). Hell, this being Vertigo, I see plenty of ways this can be spun on into something fresh with an odd twist or two.

If any writer out there is listening, do something better with werewolves!

I personally think the comic is too "weird*" to be massively appealing. Here I am trying to convince a friend that hates Hellblazer from its portrayal of angels in the movie and bits and pieces from the comic book that it's a lot more open than that, but then again (she'll never bother with it, but she doesn't hate it anymore by the way), I've hooked some people that would be unlikely readers. I think the best way to attract new readers is through cameos and guest appearances; I found introducing Constantine, and just Western comics in general, to a friend easier through Sandman and then Books of Magic. She was thrilled when she found out that he indeed had his own comic book series. Sadly, even references work otherwise I would have never listened to the Police.

The parody stuff I'm for. =D

* This is my brilliant "summing up a better explaination in a post before me" powers at work.

Nothing should be done. I want hellbalzer to be cancelled. :) :(

Its sad, but why should the comic be changed to make it acceptable for those who'd've never enjoyed it anyways///

:lol: -Werewolves=Ratings, dammit!!!

What happened to "Human Target"? Cancelled because of low sales. What could Milligan have done differently? An issue where Chance became a werewolf would've save the damn book!

And, what's the best-selling comic book of all time? X-Men #1? Hell, no! Werewolf By Night, baby!

:D

I've always been intrigued by that Lupus affair also, but I've always taken it that it had to do with the disease, not werewolves!

Hellblazer will never appeal to the mass comic book readership because it's about a normal guy with no super powers who dresses in a trenchcoat and smokes fags. The majority of comic book fans buy books with huge guys in tights on the cover or mutants. So, I really don't want "Hellblazer" to conform in order for it to get bigger sales and keep going.

In todays comic book marketplace, a Vertigo book reaching over issue #200?! Damn, that's amazing!

Everyone always acts like "Hellblazer" is a book on the verge of being cancelled. Perhaps it is, but at the same time H.B. isn't a book like "Human Target" or "Losers" scratching to make it's way to year # 2. It's already an anomaly.

I don't think Hellblazer has to change to make it more acceptable to the proverbial "masses" but I think it does need a little more variety in the types of stories it tells. I felt Mike Carey treaded a bit too much on past ground in his run and while that make longtime fans comfortable it has a tendency to create a sense of staleness in the story telling department. I don't want to see Hellblazer become like "Law & Order" where you know how each story will have the same structure.

Whatever you may think of Azzarello's writng abilities he probably helped Hellblazer in the long run by generating a buzz for the title and the fact that his entire run is traded beefs up the Hellblazer TPG selection in the stores and at least exposes the character to a wider audience. I hope Mina has the same effect.