Rogan

Comics 2 Film thread

Ah, mr. J. McMahon? dunno, he never struck me as a movie guy, must be all the damn stupid TV-shows he was in...

And I think The Thing looks crap.

I totally agree. But on another forum, they are saying he looks awesome. I think he looks like a burn victim.

I remember once, maybe Reed, but someone tried to make the thing change back to human, and he got only halfway, had hell problems, got weaker, and mental-ier.

and thats what Ben looks like in those clips. Crap on a rock.

Without wishing to sound like the ubergeek I clearly am, I had that 'twist' pegged from the moment the first photos of Mr. Neeson in costume were released. It's true...I was speculating about it to people and everything. I've actively avoided almost all potential spoilers for this film, but had actually heard about this one, and was pathetically smug for a few days. Mind you, you don't need to have read many Batman comics to see the resemblance...

It doesn't sound like a particularly great idea, but given how unreservedly excellent every other piece of news about this film seems to have been, and how good a director Nolan is, I'm still holding my hopes high. The anti-Constanteen? The first decent non-Marvel comicbook film in over a decade? Here's hoping...

Yeah, when Neeson was cast, i immediately had him peged as Ra's, and when they said it was that Ken Wanton-babe chap, i nearly shouted at my screen how they already have a BETTER Ra's in their cast... then i realized what they might be trying to pull... still, not a surprise for comics fans, but might be a nice reveal for the uninitiated punters...

The first decent non-Marvel comicbook film in over a decade? Here's hoping...

I thought Ghost World, Hellboy (I know some people hate it, but I really enjoyed it) and American Splendor were rather good, actually...

But they weren't superhero comics. (Though I fully agree that all 3 films were good).

yeah, but that's not what he said :tongue: plus, I dunno, Hellboy is pretty damn close to a superhero...

It's what I meant, though. Oops. Yeah, add 'American Splendor' and 'Ghostworld' to the roster of good comic films. Still haven't seen Hellboy, but I want to. I've got some tentative hopes for Sin City too, because I generally enjoy Rodriguez.

Given that I've just spent half an hour going through the forum doing little other than clarifying or apologising for posts I made over the course of last night, I feel I should probably avoid coming here when I'm sleep-deprived. My already pretty lousy post-proofreading and tact just go completely to pot.

The first decent non-Marvel comicbook film in over a decade? Here's hoping...

I thought...Hellboy (I know some people hate it, but I really enjoyed it)...were rather good, actually...

Who didn't like Hellboy and why? Also I heard rumors that some folks thought it was to far removed from the source material! :o And which parts were those? Because the Hellboy I saw was a spot on comic-to-film adaptation, maybe even my favorite yet.

Well the characters actually had personalities and relationships, which was a pretty big departure from the comic. Hellboy and Liz were never an item in the comic. The relationship between Hellboy and Prof. Broom wasn't barely explored by Mignola. The BPRD are secret in the movie (which makes you wonder why they have logos...), whereas in the comics, Hellboy is a world-famous celebrity who's been on the cover of TIME. The comics rely much more on genuine mythology.

Plus various small things - the introduction of Agent Myers, the relationship between the bad guys, Kroenen being a clockwork Nazi rather than a polite paper-pusher etc.

It's worth listening to the del Toro/Mignola commentary on the DVD - it explains how Mignola advised del Toro to just do his own thing with the characters rather than stay 100% faithful to the comic book. And del Toro's love for the comic and passion for making a great movie really shines through.

I thought it was a great film, though, and in many ways superior to the source material.

Yeah...you're right, but all those changes were sorta small potatoes.

Well, Del Toro said something in the excellent "Seeds of Creation" documantary along the lines of, "Why would you want to see a carbon copy of that which has come before?". Makes sense. I've been trying to adopt that mindframe for Constantine but in that case it seems like they've taken it to an extreme.

The televison adverts for "Electra" are starting up here in the U.S. and as someone who has never read any Daredevil nor Electra comics, the movie looks like it might be prety cool. I think by not mentioning it's a spin-off of the DD movie and focusing more on the Asian Martial Art aspects, the movie studio will attract more of the action film audience. Apart form the Marvel logo there's really nothing to suggest that this is a "comic-book movie" which is probably a good thing for films like this one and "Constantine".

I'll vouch for that. The previews look great. Strictly nuts martial arts almost something like Crouching Tiger.

Meh. She's a fine foxy laydee, but the film's going to have to be lightyears better than Daredevil to do much for me. We'll see.

Agreed about the divergence from source material - there are some things we accept without question in comics which simply wouldn't work in a film aimed at a non-comic reading audience. By the sounds of things, Hellboy got it about right (I really want to see it - I think my girlfriend's got the DVD, so I'll probably check it out over Christmas), Spider-Man (especially #2) was pretty spot-on, and Catwoman was a steaming example of how not to do it. Like Constantine. It's not about retaining every last detail of the source material, it's about respecting the totality of what the comic represents.

If you listen to the Hellboy commentary and watch the extras, you'll see how enthusiastic del Toro was about the source material, and the lengths he went to when creating movie Hellboy's world. Each of the main characters from Hellboy to Rasputin has a nine or ten page biography complete with their likes and dislikes, and childhood information all invented and written especially for the movie by del Toro.

Tim Bradstreet reckons del Toro is a big Hellblzer fan, and I can only wonder what we'd have got if he'd taken over the project. I don't doubt that it wouldn't have been 100% faithful to the source material, but it would at least have kept the soul of the comic alive. Of all the things he changed about Hellboy, he at least got the character right.

Shit, I should go buy some del Toro DVDs from play.com. I still haven't watched Cronos all the way through.

Guest spiderlegs

Check out The Devil's Backbone for a really good Del Toro helmed flick (if you haven't). It has a certain appeal to comic fans.

David Goyer Takes on The Flash

I've always thought they could do a cool Flash movie. I get the impression Variety probably did shit research, and it won't actually be Jay Garrick. Unless they use that name and the Wally West or Barry Allen origin story. I think Goyer wants to cast his new boy-toy Van Wilder for this.

Not that I'm complaining though.

The televison adverts for "Electra" are starting up here in the U.S. and as someone who has never read any Daredevil nor Electra comics, the movie looks like it might be prety cool.

I'm in two minds about the Elektra movie, but I'll probably still check it out.

Is Hellboy out on DVD in the UK yet? Haven't seen it anywhere, but then I haven't been looking.

Check out The Devil's Backbone for a really good Del Toro helmed flick (if you haven't). It has a certain appeal to comic fans.

Oh, yes. i cannot recomend this flick highly enough...

Guest spiderlegs

I was jaw-droppingly amazed by that film. It was all at once frightening, beautiful, and compelling.

Platinum & Relativity Take on Dylan Dog

Source: Variety

December 15, 2004

Platinum Studios and Relativity Management have teamed with Vancouver's the Shop Animation Studios to develop and co-produce Dylan Dog: The Fourth Kingdom, based on the Italian comic book.

Variety says Platinum and Relativity bill the feature as the first CG thriller. Scheduled to begin production in March, Relativity handles foreign sales on the film.

The Shop co-founder Ian Pearson will direct, based on a script he co-wrote with Gavin Blair. The film follows the latest case of nightmare investigator Dylan Dog, who must stop a supernatural serial killer before the forces of heaven and hell unleash Armageddon.

Created by Tiziano Sclavi, "Dylan Dog" has sold more than 80 million copies worldwide since its 1985 debut.

---------------------------

Great news! If i was mr. Bradstreet, i'd try to get in on this job, especially with valuable experience from working on the CGI Anne Frank flick...