Rogan

Comics 2 Film thread

The Elektra movie opened at No. 4 at the box office on Friday, according to figures posted by ShowBizData.com.

Elektra pulled in an estimated $4.5 million, trailing Coach Carter ($8.3 million), Meet The Fockers ($5.6 million) and In Good Company ($4.5 million).

thethingew.jpg

batmanbeginsewpreview.jpg

Mark Steven Johnson on Ghost Rider!

Source: Mark Steven Johnson, BIGGUN

January 15, 2005

Ghost Rider writer/director Mark Steven Johnson has left another cool update on the Superhero Hype! message boards. Here's what's new!

Sorry it's been so long since I've checked in, but we start shooting in about four weeks so you can imagine how busy things are! Jesus. Four weeks out. Hard to believe, eh? Especially for those of you, like myself, who have waited for this movie for such a long time. These updates are always hard to write as I have to toe the line between wanting to tell you everything while having to keep the details under wraps.

So, first off. Casting. Mr. Cage will be Johnny Blaze. Take it from me. That's a done deal. And I could not be happier. Nic is in the shape of his life. Lean and mean, like a motorcycle stunt rider should. I've cast a few more parts but I should wait until the official announcements come (very soon). But safe to say, when in doubt? Listen to Biggun!

The Budget. Nice to see that we've been "upgraded" from a $40 million dollar movie to a $51 million dollar movie! Maybe that's enough for a Dazzler movie but not for a Ghost Rider movie! Seriously, this is an event movie. And Sony knows how to make them right. Rest assured. That is not the budget. Not by a long shot.

Johnny vs. Danny. The great thing about making a Ghost Rider movie is that I get to take the best from both the Johnny Blaze and the Danny Ketch versions of the comic. So even though I am telling the Johnny Blaze origin story, there are elements of the Danny Ketch stories that I love and will include in the movie (so don't worry, Flamehead! Your beloved Danny Ketch will be there in spirit!). Caretaker will be there. And Blackheart. But so will Mephisto and Roxanne and the Quentin Carnival.

The script. People have mentioned the old David Goyer draft. Goyer wrote two really interesting versions of a Ghost Rider movie. I'd go to see either one of them. But my version is my own. The script is much closer to the comic. But at the same time, it's much more of a Western. A Supernatural Western is, I think, about the coolest idea ever. The Ghost Rider needs that open road as well as the city. I feel that is what makes him unique -- that he's a rider. Think Mad Max. Unforgiven. We have huge battles in the city but, ultimately, they will end up out in the desert.

The Hellcycle. Well, it's simply unbelievable. It's sculpt is finished and it went into the molds last week. It's the Chopper from Hell. No doubt about it. This is the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. The toys and the video game are already in the works and they are going to kick ass!

Better go. Sunday morning here and I have to get back to work. Will check in again later and soon, hopefully, with some artwork. Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts and criticisms. I'm making this for us!

It's always cool to hear it from the man himself! 'Retroman' also alerted us to this link which lists the possible plot of the movie:

In order to save his dying father, young stunt cyclist Johnny Blaze sells his soul to Mephistopheles and sadly parts from the pure-hearted Roxanne Simpson, the love of his life. Years later, Johnny's path crosses again with Roxanne, now a gogetting reporter, and also with Mephistopheles, who offers to release Johnny's soul if Johnny becomes the fabled, fiery Ghost Rider, a supernatural agent of vengeance and justice. Mephistopheles charges Johnny with defeating the despicable Blackheart, Mephistopheles's nemesis and son, who plans to displace his father and create a new hell even more terrible than the old one.

--------------------

Sheldon Turner on the Magneto Spinoff

Source: XMenFilms.net

January 13, 2005

XMenFilms.net has posted quotes from Magneto screenwriter Sheldon Turner which appeared in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly:

Turner's intent for the film is to examine Magneto's "psychological roots". The plot will also deal with the character's friendship turned sour with Charles Xavier. The man who went on to form the team known as the X-Men.

"It's going to take place from 1939 Auschwitz up to 1955 or so," says Turner. With that in mind, that would make the film, MAGNETO a 'period prequel' to the X-MEN movies.

Since a major bulk (if not all) of the film will take place during this period, it is doubtful that actor Sir Ian McKellen will return for the film, though there are still possible ways of having the actor in portions of the film. The film will chronicle the character's early life, and what turned him against humans.

Thanks to 'Anthony' for the heads up.

-----------------------------------------

Marsden & Laurie Aboard Singer's Superman

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

January 13, 2005

Director Bryan Singer has cast James Marsden, who played Cyclops in Singer's two "X-Men" movies, and Hugh Laurie, who stars in the Singer-executive produced Fox series House, in Warner Bros. Pictures' Superman.

The Hollywood Reporter says Marsden will play Lois Lane's love interest, Richard White. Laurie is in final talks to play Perry White, editor in chief of the Daily Planet. The two characters are related, though the studio declined comment on if they are father and son.

Brandon Routh is set to play Clark Kent/Superman, while Kevin Spacey, who won a supporting actor Oscar for his performance in Singer's The Usual Suspects, is set to play Lex Luthor. Kate Bosworth is in negotiations to play Lois Lane.

GothamGlobe_Banner.jpg

http://www.batmannews.de/gotham_city_centr...ics/batman1.jpg

http://www.batmannews.de/gotham_city_centr...ics/batman5.jpg

http://www.batmannews.de/gotham_city_centr...ics/batman2.jpg

http://www.batmannews.de/gotham_city_centr...ics/batman4.jpg

http://www.batmannews.de/gotham_city_centr...ics/batman3.jpg

http://www.batmannews.de/gotham_city_centr...ics/batman6.jpg

http://www.batmannews.de/gotham_city_centr...ics/batman7.jpg

you might have to go to the main webpage to access those pics. am I the only one who thinks that in that pic marked batman6, Bats looks an awful lot like The Midnighter? hehehehehehe

yeah, they're on to my linking, those batsards! ;)

still, this once agaion shows that a foreign website gets all the good stuff, while the official is a joke...

Laurie on Perry in Superman Returns       

Contributed by Cindy White   

Tuesday, 18 January 2005

Hugh Laurie was in attendance at Fox's Television Critics Association press party on Monday night to promote his critically acclaimed show House, but we couldn't resist asking him about his recently announced role in the upcoming Superman film for director Bryan Singer (who, not so coincidentally, directed the pilot episode for House and also serves as an executive producer on the series).

Laurie confirmed that he will play Daily Planet Editor in Chief Perry White in the film, but more than that the British-born actor couldn't reveal – even if he wanted to. Warner Bros. is keeping the story so carefully guarded that he hasn't even been allowed to read the script yet. “I have to read it in a room with an armed security guard,” he says. “They're terrified. These things get on the Internet.”

Still, Laurie is looking forward to working again with Singer and speculates as to what his character might eventually sound like. “'Goddamn it, Clark. Where were you?' will be my life,” he jokes. “That's all I know. You know as much as I do now.”

The official Fantastic Four site has been opened - http://www.fantasticfourmovie.com/ - there's a trailer in there too.

that trailer looks like utter crap.

Crikey, it does, doesn't it?

Cheese-tastic, too - "5 people will be changed 4 ever", indeed.

Blargh. But I really don't care, since I've never really been a FF fan.

The Fantastic Four always seemed a little too comical to me. I never took them seriously.

I was fancinated with Dr. Doom. He could be written as a twisted fucker.

Guest spiderlegs

That FF website is pretty cool, though. I'm a sucker for tight Flash programming, though.

Whoa, back up! That Ghost Rider movie sounds pretty cool. I'm not crazy about Nick Cage as Blaze but I love the character so I'm willing to see what they have to offer.

You're all bastards.

I love the FF. Not sure what to make of the trailer, I still think it shows promise.

see how badly WB must have screwed up with Constantine, when Tom is still optimistic about this flick.

(not that i'm putting down the FF flick yet, but i dont dig the character designs so far, and i think they may get on the wrong side of camambert with the realization if they get the family chemistry wrong...)

Guest spiderlegs

The rumors about how bad this movie is going to be are spilling out of the woodwork like termites.

It's a bit artless, though. There's no build-up in the action montage, just a series of shots of flaming torches and blue swirly stuff. Most of it was unrecogniseable in a Quicktime window.

I don't think anyone was expecting this to be the next Ghost World, though. Artless, loud and flashy, with lots of flaming torches and blue swirly stuff, is about what I'd be expecting from even the best imaginable FF movie.

Wasn't the Ghost Rider movie what helped push Cage out of Constantine? After Tarsem left he opted to play Johnny Blaze which is a more likely choice since GR is pretty well known.

I don't like how they are doing Dr.Doom in the movie. he always was one of my favourite comic book baddies, but I don't know how good he'll be without his diplomatic immunity, intellect and gadgets (in the movie he goes into space with the FF and his armour is said to be "organic").

I'm not complaining about the content, I'm complaining that the way it was presented.

I know, but it didn't seem that offensive to me. Just a generic flashy vacuous action trailer. They're rarely works of art, even for really good trashy action films, which is pretty much what I'd expect an FF movie to be.

Doctor Doom is just such a totally 'comic-book' creation that I can't imagine him working in any other medium. Just say that name out loud a few times, and imagine not having any frame of reference for it. "Doctor. Doom." I love the guy, but come on. Non-comic readers are going to laugh at him.

Bryan Fuller, the mastermind behind critical darlings DEAD LIKE ME and WONDERFALLS will next script an adaptation of Mike Mignola's AMAZING SCREW ON HEAD, which "chronicles the outrageous adventures of a robot secret agent charged with defending President Lincoln against a band of evil villains." So says an interview over at Suicide Girls.

BF: Mignola is as involved as he possible can be. A lot of the character designs and drawings are done because we want to stay close to the comic book. There is some adapting to do and there are new characters that aren’t in the comic so hopefully he’ll be designing those. He wants to do that but it’s just a matter of his schedule. We’re also talking about getting Dave Stewart, who does the color palette for the comic, to do the palette for the cartoon. It’s all about bringing the comic book world to life.

http://suicidegirls.com/words/Bryan%20Fuller/