Kejoxen

Bristol Comic Expo 2006

You coming?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. You coming?

• Yeah baby, rocks off!!
    • Nah, wouldnt been seen dead.

Er, I thought I confirmed it with you? I called Joe as soon as I got that message...

Hurm...maybe my spam folder ate it, anyway booked it so all's well etc.

Glad you're coming Keeyah, now someone drop Zhaan a line and see if she'll be around :biggrin:

Me and Leila need to book - go knows where - so many places full.

Anyone know of anything near the venue that's still going and not ludicrously expensive. Have to have money for curry and beer as per usual.

Tim

S'okay - have booked in at the Jury's for time being - have until 12th to unbook without being charged. For anyone stuck, Jury's are doing £68 a night - online booking special.

Tim

cheers John - I did go to the rather cool thread that was started on the 7th. I was really busy that day and came back home a bit pissed at around 9pm. I was passing out by about 11.30pm - coz I'm an old man ;)

J. Mac made a typo.

He's referring to "kinky curry and pints"

incidentally do we HAVE to go to the usual place ?

They were annoying last year.

Can anyone give me an idea of how these expo's work with regards to the timings of events and how much time you reckon is best spent wandering about browsing etc. as opposed to the events (I know it's a bit subjective in relation to what the events are but any idea would help). The reason I could do with getting an idea is that it looks like I'll be crashing at my wife's sister's place and they've got a great kid of about 9 who's just getting into comics etc. and would probably be really interested in going for a bit of a look, but I'll need to take him in and then drop him back home and on a selfish level I don't want to miss too much :biggrin: (at least I'll get to be the cool uncle who takes him to ace things!).

On a social and completely trivial level do you lot tend to go for a curry and then hit the beer on Saturday night or is the curry at the end of days. I'm going to try and meet up with my brother in law for a drink (insurance on getting back to their place) so I'm just wondering how things usually pan out. Now back to the Jack Daniels... got to get in training.

J. Mac made a typo.

I thought it said curry and pies, now that would be a night to remember

That waiter rubbed some folks up the wrong way, didn't he ?

I'm easy.

I vaguely remember this, something deffinatly happened, i remember the toilet sink being full of sick, but i was really quite pissed by the time we got there (theres a finite probabilty that the sink sick was mine).

Can anyone give me an idea of how these expo's work with regards to the timings of events and how much time you reckon is best spent wandering about browsing etc.

As far as i remember last year the events were shit, apart from the excellent AV work by a Mr A Brown during the Mike Carey retrospective and then Hypotheticals (which is the must see panel of the con). We spent a lot of time in the main hall spending money on stuff, taking the piss out of James and pretending to be interested in manga.

Looking at the Guests for this year i serisouly doubt you'd kick yourself if you missed any of the panels or events. The Events run pretty continusly for the two days from 10 till around 4 but like i said 90% of these arnt worth your time, too much of the con is taken up with clueless people talking about stuff they have no clue about to other clueless people, a sucession of panels the panelist forget to turn up to, people pluging sci-fi shows that a year later still have yet to find an outlet and a zine launch to which the creators forgot to bring any of thier publications. (the preceeding, of course, are hilarious in jokes that only me, James, John and Lisa will get)

~edit~

OMFG Sophie 'Ace' Aldred will be there, SCHWING.

I'd agree with what Matt said there bbbbuuuttttt the thing's under new management so hopefully they'll bring a level of professionalism to the proceedings.

The C rate (and below) actors are a new addition, aren't they ?

The Events listing doesn't actually contain any events at the mo but hopefully we'll be getting another Hypotheticals and maybe a Living In The Gutters - with Geoff Johns there, they'll presumably throw together some kind of IC panel.

If you spend more than 2 to 3 hours at 'events' then I'd be surprised - don't let Matt drag you to any dodgy upcoming sci-fi tele show ones!

Curry tends to happen anytime between 9 and 11 - someone will set a time and we'll eventually get together two afters late - we don't bite, so there's no reason your brother can't come drink and eat with us. As for alternative curry venues, there's a place just up from the canal, lot nearer than the other place but obviously I've never been in it.

...the thing's under new management so hopefully they'll bring a level of professionalism to the proceedings...

Isnt the same people as last year? we went in 2004, that was Kevin Sutherlands last year (after the PA rental debacle and the Grant Morrison no show in london), then Dez Skinn and Area 51 took over in 2005, this'll be thier second year.

J. Mac made a typo.

I thought it said curry and pies, now that would be a night to remember

Curry pies !

wrapper.jpg

It's the same people organising, John.

And Just 1 Page has to go out with a bang or something because they've adopted a new charity.

There should be a Hypotheticals if Budgie is to be believed, but Rich needs to SHUT UP and let his panel speak judging by Brighton.

That waiter rubbed some folks up the wrong way, didn't he?

I vaguely remember this, something deffinatly happened, i remember the toilet sink being full of sick, but i was really quite pissed by the time we got there (theres a finite probabilty that the sink sick was mine).

I remember that James was balancing on his chair and a waiter tried to push him off. No Matt, the sick wasn't yours but you did have the pleasure of finding it and describing (in detail) what it looked like to the rest of us. I also remember taling about Robin's pubic hair combined with his little green shorts.

If you spend more than 2 to 3 hours at 'events' then I'd be surprised - don't let Matt drag you to any dodgy upcoming sci-fi tele show ones!

God no! And someone, at some point, has to mention sausages.

bet they got pretty pissed when Hyperdrive came on BBC2, pretty much thier exact idea done for more money with more talent.