JohnMcMahon

The Life & Works Of Francis Lawrence

Videography.

Flicked on MTV earlier this week to see a gentleman by the name of Francis Lawrence talking about the Gwen Stefani video he was directing, so it looks like he's gone back to his day job while waiting for the accolades for his movie debut to come a thumbling in.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but apparently he did the video for Avril Lavigne's Sk8ter Boi. In fact he seems to have a fondness for working with dyslexic artists ((Freak) And U Know It, Come Widdit, Sk8ter Boi, I'm A Slave 4 U, C U When U Get There) so fair play to him for putting a little time into care in the community.

To give the chap his due, he directed Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" which did have a rather nifty video (and I love the Timbalake bit near the end of the song).

That Gwen Stefani video is amazing! It's really arty and original. I think the film will :look: great. Dunno about the rest but I'm sure hell and heaven will look great.

I'm also sure Keanu will look great.... *sigh*

Yeah, to be fair, both "Cry me a river", "Sk8er Boi" and "Hands clean" are good videos, no matter if you like the music or not.

And I'd have thought you'd appreciate Shakira's "Whenever wherever", eh, John?

Shakira%20-%20Wherever%20Whenever.jpg

"Lucky my mounds are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains..." :lol:

That Gwen Stefani video is amazing!  It's really arty and original.

I liked the bit where Alice went down the rabbit hole.

And I'd have thought you'd appreciate Shakira's "Whenever wherever"

On the advice of my attorney, I'm not answering that question.

If Fincher were not a video-music director, I would't trust in Lawrence to be a good movie director. Maybe he is. Which it doesn´t mean anything cause movies are made by not only directors but also... my friends the producers. They still have to come and collect :icon_cry: .

America bless Bush. I mean... Bush bless God.

Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich) and Jean Michelle Gaudry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) are both pop vid directors as well. And Chris Cunningham's going to make the transition to movies too.

On the advice of my attorney, I'm not answering that question.

You mean, "on the advice of my wife's attorney, since he doesn't want to have to fight a murder rap."

Watched the Gwen Stefani video ("What You Waiting For", right?). It's okay. Liked the bit with the chair that refused to fall over, but it could have done with an actual narrative (or cutting that stupid first minute off).

I can't wait for the cell-phone generation to grow up and start fucking up the language even more.

"Ur In$urnce r8s hlp U g3t @ L0@|\| fa$t..."

i also rant about the dumbing down of conversations due to text messaging when i'm drunk.

This rates among the things I truly hate. You know there are kids today who spell "er" (same as "are" in english) as "r" in SCHOOL!

Add to this the massive abuse of X and Z...AAARGH! In Norwegian, the kidz (sic!) write "koz og klemz" all the fucking time. (Translation: "hugz and kizzes")

We're starting to sound like a pack of sad old bastards now!

Surprisingly enough, I don't spend much time around young teenagers but I don't think their bad texting habits have spread to their face-to-face conversations, despite what Warren Ellis would have you believe.

Anyway, moving back on topic, as James quite rightly points out it is possible to parlay a music video career into a movie one.

Moving away from the topic, back to kidie abuse of the language

Here, kiddies started recently saying "Eeeeeeeeeeextra!" - with the mewaning of something "cool, special, excellent", it sounds like an even more prolonged and annoying version of Mr. Burns' "Eeeeexcellent"

this has begun ti irk me so, since they first started using it ironically, since the diesel primitive boys were using it, but then instead of it being a joke, they now (ab)use it more than those primitive bastards, and i always lash out at them. Shit. Serves me right, for going to college with folks 4 years younger than me.

Anyway, back on topic - Gondry, Jonze, Fincher - bueno. but i think that getting music directors to start doing films is not the answer, you listening, Hollywood? There are so many other talented people who DON'T have jobs direting, even though they aced film school. Broaden your horizons.

Yes, avoiding teenagers is one of life's sweet pleasures as you grow older,

Except for you poor suckers who are getting married and having kids! You're going to have to deal with relating to teens all over again, and it'll be worse this time because you're NOT one of them! MWA-HA-HA-HA!!! Who says God doesn't have a sick sense of humour?!

:biggrin: