Sign in to follow this  
Rogan

Pinch 'er by the TORSO...

Torso... Torso!... TORSO!!! Fincher... Fincher!... FINCHER!!!

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here... sorry for the headline... those cheesy '70s import horror trailer fans out there will get it... all 7 of you. But it is true... there's a project called TORSO that is being adapted by Ehren Kruger (boo, hiss) from a graphic novel by Brian Michael Bendis and Marc Andreyko and David Fincher's name is being mentioned as directing the thing. The story was based on the true story of Eliot Ness (yeah, the UNTOUCHABLES guy) and what happened to him after he moved out of Chicago to become a public safety officer in Cleveland. Ness pulls together a team to track down a serial murderer who keeps dumping the torsos of his victims in the river.

This sounds right up Fincher's alley, what with ZODIAC and SEVEN already under his belt. Sounds like a sweet fuckin' movie to me (if Kruger can deliver a non-pedestrian script). What do you think?

What's so bad about Ehren Kruger?

Sounds interesting though, I've glanced at Torso in the comic book store but never got around to buying it.

I'm quite looking forward to Zodiac though he's one of my favourite serial killers.

What's so bad about Ehren Kruger?

Sounds interesting though, I've glanced at Torso in the comic book store but never got around to buying it.

I'm quite looking forward to Zodiac though he's one of my favourite serial killers.

You have favourite serial killers?

Speaking of ‘Zodiac’:

128fa42ff74c8259cdf4eb41dc018bb7.jpg

I highly doubt Fincher would jump on something like Torso after just completeing Zodiac. Directors like him rarely willingly pigeonhole themselves like that. Maybe as a producer, sure...and honestly, as much as I like Fincher, I'd rather see someone else with a more classic noir style take on Torso, just because of the setting and time period in the book.

Maybe someone in the vein of Sem Mendes (though not him, he already did his time adaptindg comics depicting that period with Road To perdition)

I highly doubt Fincher would jump on something like Torso after just completeing Zodiac.  Directors like him rarely willingly pigeonhole themselves like that.  Maybe as a producer, sure...and honestly, as much as I like Fincher, I'd rather see someone else with a more classic noir style take on Torso, just because of the setting and time period in the book.

Except that he’s not jumping straight on it. Next he’s doing an adaptation of Fitzgerald’s Benjamin Button with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett and then he’s expected to make Torso.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't know he had a flick in between.

Still, I don't know if he's right. Who directed LA Confidential again?

Ooooh, Torso would look GORGEOUS in black and white. The Coen Brothers NAILED noir with The Man Who Wasn't There, and shot in the most beautiful B&W I've seen in the entire era of colorized films. The contrats between the light and dark is jaw-dropping.

Curtis Hanson (Wonder Boys) directed L.A. Confidential, which was written by James Ellroy. Incidentally, i'd thought Fincher was working on adapting another Ellroy novel, "The Black Dahlia," in which the victim is killed in a very similar fashion to the victims in "Torso." I don't know if he's still attached to that project, though.

The Coen Brothers NAILED noir with The Man Who Wasn't There, and shot in the most beautiful B&W I've seen in the entire era of colorized films.  The contrats between the light and dark is jaw-dropping.

i thought i was the only soul alive who liked that film...

It's a great movie one of my favourite Coen brothers flicks.

I thought Fincher was doing The Black Dahlia as well but perhaps he decided not to because there was a rival movie about the same murder but not based on the Ellroy novel in production.

Back to why I'm fascinated by the Zodiac killer, it's similar to my fascination with Jack the Ripper as they both taunted the police with letters and neither of them were caught although there have been many theories about their identitites that have arisen afterwards.

I've never heard of the zodiac killer.

Well the wikipedia has.

The Zodiac killer was the nickname of a serial killer who found his victims in and around San Francisco, California, in the late 1960s. In 2004 the San Francisco Police Department officially "deactivated" the case, though the killer's identity still remains unknown.

I thought Fincher was doing The Black Dahlia as well but perhaps he decided not to because there was a rival movie about the same murder but not based on the Ellroy novel in production.

Fincher tried off-and-on for a few years to get a ‘Black Dahlia’ movie off the ground, but had a few problems: there was never a script he was satisfied with, the wanted to shoot it in black and white and, after neither ‘Fight Club’ or ‘Panic Room’ made money, needed a hit, which Dahlia is in no way guaranteed to be.

Thanks for that Gordon. I had wondered why it never happened.

No problem.

It’s actually a great shame, as at one point the Fincher version had Brad Pitt and Edward Norton attached (which, in my view would have been great casting)

The Brian Depalma film’s got Mark Wahlberg and Josh Harnett, which isn’t intended as a slight. It’s just a different scale, know what I mean?

I wouldn't mind seeing Costner casted as Ness again for Torso .

Fincher, C'mon... It's Fincher... I am sure he would not dissapoint us. If he doesn't choose Costner it's because he knows what he is doing... For example, maybe he doesn't want to make an Untouchables II... Or maybe Costner doesn't want it... By the way, what's ol' Kev doin' nowadays?