Mike Carey

Outgoing writer here

Have nothing creative or delightfully whimsical to say here, so will just sycophantically bow down to the man, for Red Sepulchre anyways, saving the other trades til my birthday....

Just wanted to say I enjoyed reading the trades you've written.

"Red Sepulcher" (am bad with titles so I hope I got that right) was rather "neat". I've had other readings about the mythos so ... this was just like icing.

Okaaaay, this is gonna take a while...

Ade, let's never speak of Slough again. It's enough that we escaped with our lives.

Mark - as you say, it seems like my perspective on the run overlaps a lot with yours. I honestly don't feel that Down in the Ground was at all padded, though. It has an odd structure, yes - the big flashback in the middle was a risk, but on the whole I felt happy with how it came out. It was a cards-on-the-table story which - particularly for long-term readers - set out and defined a cast and a situation and then kind of implicitly invited you to second-guess us. The pulling-defeat-from-the-ashes-of-victory ending required an extended quest structure - a winter journey. I agree that that may come across better in trade form than in the monthly issues.

Yes, I deliberately didn't provide any closure for Angie. I hope she'll come back in at some stage. Certainly if I ever come back onto the book I'm likely to bring her in again.

We may very well be able to have a drink in Oslo. I'm there on both the Friday and the Saturday, doing signings at each of the two stores, so Friday night ought to be free. On Saturday I have to get back to the airport like a bat out of hell to fly home - something I'm doing a lot of at the moment.

TomC - that must have been a hell of a marathon. Glad you enjoyed it. You've saved the best till last.

NightPunch, I think the point where the Third World stories falls down is probably The Pit - we need to be in on that conversation between John and the ghost warrior, and to get at least one more key item of information about the dog. I agree that being over-explicit is a mistake, especially in a book like Hellblazer, but maybe in this instance I just elided a pay-off that was important for the narrative.

James, I'd forgotten that [over-used word] altogether. If it was there, it was mine. But it might have been put in at the lettering draft stage, which would have been *after* the initial scripting of the [over-used word]bubble episode. Maybe what happened was that after getting away with [over-used word]bubble, I slipped a [over-used word] into an earlier script when it came up for lettering.

Abhimanyu, I'm fascinated by all mythologies, and I love to play with mythological themes. It's a near-certainty that I'll return to Indian mythology somewhere, sometime. I hadn't heard of The Simoqin Prophecies, but I'll check it out - thanks for the heads-up.

MojoPin - again, thanks. It was my pleasure. :)

FireGriffin - it's interesting that you were cool on most of the run, but enjoyed Down in the Ground. It seems that a lot of people who were enjoying the run up to that point thought that Down in the Ground sagged a little. Hmmm. :huh:

Switching from Lucifer to Hellblazer and back again was okay so long as I built airlocks into my work routine. I never - or almost never - worked on both books in the same week. The exception would be rewrites and lettering. I'd try to give myself stretches of time where I could focus on one book and forget about the other. Recently, Castor has become my airlock: I write comic scripts at the start of the week, then I break off and spend a couple of days writing Castor - then I can move on to a different comics project.

Christian, James - you're very welcome, and thanks for the good wishes. I hope you enjoy the climax and codas, because that's where we are now. After Morningstar, things move very rapidly to their inevitable conclusions.

Rogan, more stuff like Frankie is already in the works. I've written a book called Re-Gifters, which has the same art team and much the same tone, although it has no fantasy elements in it. Marc's almost done with the inking now, and they're looking around for someone to greyscale it. I'm really pleased with it, and I think it's going to turn out to be one of the best things I've done. It should come out in the tail end of this year.

Twilight - [bows back]

GenGris - thanks. Icing on the cake is how I see myself. Azzarello was the sort of bittersweet chocolate underneath the icing; Warren was a thin layer of brandy-laced cream; Garth was rich fruit sponge, probably way too alcoholic; Jamie is the crystal cake stand that supports us all.

Tom - keep that fanboy love flowing. Denise is going to knock your socks off (in a good way - I'm not saying she's psychotically violent or anything. Although she might be. I barely know her). And your sacrifice with regard to the Constantine movie will not be forgotten...

Rogan, more stuff like Frankie is already in the works.  I've written a book called Re-Gifters, which has the same art team and much the same tone, although it has no fantasy elements in it.  Marc's almost done with the inking now, and they're looking around for someone to greyscale it.  I'm really pleased with it, and I think it's going to turn out to be one of the best things I've done.  It should come out in the tail end of this year.

That sounds great, ven better if it'll be sans the fantasy elements - is this just a comical drama thing, or...?

Who's the publisher, Vertigo, or...?

And grayscale it...? Shouldn't it be in color?

James ? I'd forgotten that [over-used word] altogether

Edited for cheap humour.

Mike, where'd the "Best Supporting Character" award yoke you got for Chas end up ?

Guest Guest

Rogan, it's for Vertigo, and the greyscale is very much an experiment - but I think it's really right for the book.

The story is about a Korean girl (in her teens) living in LA. She's meant to be competing in a hapkido tournament, but uses her entrance money to buy a gift for a boy she likes. And things sort of get more and more complicated from there on out. It was one of these stories where an initial decision - almost arbitrary - yields huge storytelling riches. Setting the story in LA was an off-the-cuff idea because I knew there were a lot of Korean families living in So-Cal. But then when I started doing the research I found out all this stuff about how the Korean community had been affected by the Rodney King riots, and I wove it all in.

John, the award is still sitting here on my shelf, I'm afraid. I haven't yet bumped into anyone I can pass it along to. Maybe in Bristol, if Jamie's there...

Wow, that sounds excellent, Mike!

Re-gifters, eh? Does that mean that the gift will be making the rounds, or...?

Too bad that award's not for J.C> but for Chas, otherwise Ade could give it to Alan Moore to sign if he goes to the Moore/Moorcock thingie...

Well I'm late to the party so any questions I had concerning your run on Hellblazer have been pretty much covered Mike.

So all I shall say is thanks very much for reinvigorating my interest in comics with both Hellblazer and Lucifer. I very much look forward to your future work.

Mike, sorry just one last request. If you get a chance could you drop by and let us know dates and locations of any signings in the future (or point us to the details if the publishers list them) especially when the Castor novel comes out.

On a selfish level, it would be especially great if you get to do any in Liverpool as I can then drop the kids off at their Grandparents, get extra brownie points and have somewhere to crash if you happened to be free for a quick dram :biggrin:

Thanks, Electricinca.

Rogan - yeah, every character in the story gets the gift at one point or another, and its final destination is the crucial plot twist. It doesn't give too much away to say that.

Johnny, the only signing I know of at the moment is one at Forbidden Planet in London on the 8th of April. I'll definitely post any other dates and venues here as/if they come up. It's about time I got back up to Liverpool, for a million reasons.

Tom, are you saying Akiva didn't get there yet? Stay home this afternoon, okay?

while i dont know much of your writing, mr.carey, i want to thank you for the beautiful (hard cover+ the marvelous art of mr. manco), creepy (the aztec god of death) and funny ("because otherwise the tampons would need some explanationing") all his engines graphic novel!

(am i the only one who think that the (color) tone of it looks like the movie? i hope you dont count that as an insult :lol:)

My pleasure, Hagren. By the way, do you own that V mask? Very nice...

We certainly weren't aiming to copy the colour palette or look of the movie, but I'm not one of those who think the movie was an abomination. There were things about it I thought worked very well (although it helps if you don't think of it as a Hellblazer adaptation...).

I'm aware, though, that there's a lot of blood under the bridge there. Probably best to save that discussion for another time.

no, i dont own that mask :)

its a pic from some exhibition that it will be available to buy sometime :)

and because i like the graphic novel and i hope the film will be good too

(im one of those who like good interpretations/versions of work, thats why the c. movie worked for me too, i like it very much, tough of course it hasnt got the weight of hellblazer- but its no 0% product either imho so yeah, thats true) i chose it as avatar.

but is that true btw that the all his engines gn came out because of the film? or would it have come out nonetheless? are some nice sets like this planned for the future?

if we would start this discussion, this wouldnt be a mike carey thread anymore, but a swearing thread, though theyre are quite few people who liked the film on standalone basis. and there are some lovers, and haters o course. but youre right, thats not the place nor time (will there ever be? :lol: i mean, i quite understand them. a bit. what i dont understand is why so many people in america (at least on imdb) hated it so much without knowing hb.)

I think it's fair to say that the movie coming out was the clinching argument for doing a hardcover OGN - and doing it in that way, ie as a stand-alone story that owed very little to existing continuity. I was just lucky to be writing the book at that time. I got a call from Will asking me if I was interested in doing a 100+ page Hellblazer story, with no strings attached except that I couldn't make heavy use of the monthly book's supporting cast. It was like a kiss on the cheek from God. Not that I believe in God, but still, you get the picture.

[That sounds ominous, is Akiva Goldsman going to turn up at my house and break my legs?

I hear Akiva's next script is an adaptation of your life so far.

You live, you love, you learn.

8th of April sweet, my birthdays on the 7th. So i'll expect a drink in the west end.

Incidentally my favourite Constantine line is his remark to Swampie in Third Worlds:The Wild Card.

"No, mate. It's your lucky day. Iv'e got a job for you."

You've done sharper, but given the context of their relationship, it's perfect.

RANT TIME.

I may have shouted blue murder in some of my posts,

but ultimately my only niggle(MY niggle), was the emotional continuity of some of your breathlessly tight pacing.

For example after the amazing plotting of "Staring at the Wall", John's guilt after almost leading humanity into an extinction level event would have been more than overwhelming.

Fair enough, he then developed amnesia (either as a byproduct, through Rosacarnas' manipulations or profoundly his own repression).

Then there's the, again great stories of John in Hell and his Constanteenies,

the rapid execution of his friends and ultimately his sister's damnation.

The events that have transpired (entertainingly) have been at a breakneck pace, and sometimes I feel that that undermined the emotional impact there.

Some of my niggle may have to do with the writing approach, that of other characters many perspectives of John.

After the great events of your run, another writer could very well spend their entire run just having Constantine deal with all those events.

Personally, Hellblazer is about the downtime too, the interrelatedness of John's monotany and his supernatural traipsings.

The similar example for me, was Azzarello's opening story-great idea but only what five issues?

If you're going to do it, do it.

This is not a need for exposition.

No it's a need for some further exploration-Sticking your head into it's guts like.

Your runs been amazing in so many ways (a post of praise is due too) and is definetly richer in trade.

Your my third favourite writer-only behind Delano and Jenkins.

Your run however has been the most consistant and possibly the most entertaining.

And I think you mastered John's mouth.

You've clearly left John's world in a bigger mess than when you found it- And it's been a pleasure.

Sorry this feels like Hellblazer-Idol :icon_evil: or something.

Drinks april. :happy: