JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #216

Your marks out of 10 for #216  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for #216

Though he does look grat while talking gibberish, i must admit. He certainly IS worthy of the "ropckstar of comics" title.

Probably the fact that he tells us that you need to take drugs on top of holy mountains to see aliens and those pages where he used to go on and on about him and Milligan getting fucked up before plotting their stories didn't help his cause any, ya know?

Meanwhile, poor Milligan is sitting in the background, "Yeah, Grant. Great. Just tell everyone about our drug use, go ahead. I don't mind."

Either way, it matters little. The guy writes great comics. The only point at which I'd give much of a shit about the man's drug use is if it started affecting his health.

Yeah, fuck it! Who gives a damn?!

Does the fact that he takes drugs or not take away from "The Invisibles"? Hell, no!

If he had to get loaded up on drugs to churn out a book like "Invisibles", I don't give a damn, because the story is amazing and affecting, either way.

It's still Grant Morrison's mind and talent that are writing stories. He doesn't become a different person if he did take drugs before writing something like "Kid Eternity".

As long as it doesn't take away from his talent and creativity, it's nobody's business what Grant Morrison is doing.

Yes. And because of his ability to fade into fiction and back into reality any time he chooses, because fiction is a reality existing simulatenously with our own, he can pop out of the pages of your "Animal Man" comic book to give it to you! :p

Hurm!

Spoilers for upcoming issues and a description of the comic that'll cause Tom to punch the person next to him :

Glasgow council demons beware!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-2015188,00.html

Gayle Ritchie

HE IS a demon hunter who battles the forces of hell to save our souls. Now, he is to face his most terrifying adversary yet — Glasgow city council.

Constantine, the hero of the Hellblazer comic series played by Keanu Reeves in last year’s film adaptation, will battle demonic forces at the City Chambers in a series of comics penned by one of Scotland’s best known crime writers.

Denise Mina has been chosen by DC Comics, the New York-based publisher of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman, to write 13 issues of the cult comic, which was created by the British writer Alan Moore.

The Hellblazer series follows the adventures of John Constantine, an English detective who is trying to bargain his way into heaven by ridding the earth of demons. Mina, author of the award-winning novels Garnethill and Sanctum, will transport him to the streets of Glasgow, where an evil magician is stealing souls from the dying.

His nemesis is a powerful magician working as a council planner who is seeking permission to build on Park Circus.

“Constantine is the ultimate noir hero: a heavy-smoking, broken-hearted idealist,” said Mina. “He comes to Glasgow with an amnesiac friend but when they get into the friend’s house they find a lot of scary stuff there.”

Mina said she jumped at the chance when she was asked to write the series by Jon Vankin, the editor of DC Comics. “I’ve loved Hellblazer ever since my boyfriend made me read it on the grounds that it was everything I was into: detective stories, swearing, a lot of Silk Cut and Canon Law.”

Mina added that she had been forced to adapt her style for the comic book format: “It’s so different from writing prose.”

"The Hellblazer series follows the adventures of John Constantine, an English detective who is trying to bargain his way into heaven by ridding the earth of demons."

....He is? What comic am I reading again?

“Constantine is the ultimate noir hero: a heavy-smoking, broken-hearted idealist,” said Mina. “He comes to Glasgow with an amnesiac friend but when they get into the friend’s house they find a lot of scary stuff there.”

Wow! I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone even think to use the term "idealist" when talking about John Constantine.

Not sure if it comes across as well as it could do, isnt that always the way with press.

BUT its a great bit of PR and fair play to Mina or whoever at the times got the artice off the ground.

there is surely a buzz about her taking over, I hope its infective

Jamesb

Not sure if it comes across as well as it could do, isnt that always the way with press.

BUT its a great bit of PR and fair play to Mina or whoever at the times got the artice off the ground.

there is surely a buzz about her taking over, I hope its infective

Jamesb

James, you really have to get over the misguided impression that all publicity is good publicity and that a positive review is always a good thing.

Sure, some people will pick up the book realise what it is and stick around.

But if mistakes are made, it means the reviewer is not to be trusted and that's more likely to put people off their reviews. If Saddam Hussein said that Hellblazer was great because of that one issue where Constantine went to Iraq (sic) would that be a good thing?

And anyone convinced to pick up the book by some of the inconsistencies in one of the reviews above is not going to be the discerning folks that we all are.

In the case of the mistakes in that Times article, enough of it is familiar from online interviews that I would say the "reporter" should be done for plagiarism.

And it's inaccurate.

Now, we know that one of your cause celebres is the need for more publicity for Hellblazer, and you're right that Denise Mina's run should have been given more of a plug, but consider how much publicity the book got when someone recently made a film with a lead character of almost the same name !

Result of all that publicity ? Not much.

Ok, well done, you broke me - I've added "the" into the word filter.

Seriously, three times in one small post and you didn't get it right even once!

Are you putting " t' " in there to victimise Other James too ?

All publicity is good publicity.

is it going to have the exact result I want when its badlty researched and written, the answear may be a resounding NO. In this case, it may bring more readers to Hellblazer, it wont turn any current readers off ( i would have reckoned) and anyone who was potential before reading the article, well I reckon that would be few.

If someone reads that poor Times reveiw, yet then picks up Hellblazer, GREAT.

They may realise that it is a poor review, or that the reveiwer is not so good, BUT they may also find they like hellblazer and stick to it. A badly written reveiew does in no way reflect the quality of work in the last issue of Hellblazer.

If they dont, then they dont. But unless people know about the comic, unless people are positive about their reading experience and pass that on, people will not be turned onto the comic.

Waiting for the comics just to be taken away, has so far in hellbalzers case, proven not to be a solution.

You are right about publicity not always being helpful, and of course there is an element of thruth to that if one looks at the movie, but then again, the few who are still readers were legitimatley turned onto Hellblazer. Is that bad?

Whats importnat in my mind, is that Mina is recieving positive reviews, and these are in places where comic readers read, and thats more targeted and a grand thing, IMHO.

Sure, there will be badly written, badly spelt and even reviews which beggar belief.

BUT so far the positive reviews that people have mentioned and others I have seen, are overall a good thing, IMHO. Let there be inacuracies and errors, its the press, its always full of mistakes, but at least Mina is getting some spotlight.

Hellblazer may gain some readers.

I am well within my remit to decide NOT to read future poor reveiwers as are others who after arriving at issue 216, find that they are unhappy with the review. I may not actually read any other review by the guys who have so far made mention in this forum.

Of course, a review is often just a mention of something, and to me I ususally base my opinion on what I read myself, rather than retrospectively comparing it to the original review. But maybe people do that, and stop reading something good cause the reveiw is at odds with their experience.

I am not going to NIT pick errors, and whinge about mistakes, when if the authour concerned has real isue with it, she has the right to take the reviewers to task.

The real question, and I am thinking from a writers point of view, despite errors, would Mina prefer the publicity, or not.

Jamesb

Now, we know that one of your cause celebres is the need for more publicity for Hellblazer, and you're right that Denise Mina's run should have been given more of a plug, but consider how much publicity the book got when someone recently made a film with a lead character of almost the same name !

Result of all that publicity ? Not much.

I thought this was because of the changes they made to the canon in the movie; a lot were expecting Keanu Reeves. I don't have the sales figures but I figured that there would be a short spike in readership from people trying the comic out. Or because it was based off a comic book, the taboo against Western comics as being a smelly basement nerd hobby is still there.

If there had been an "accurate" Hellblazer movie, there might have been more long-term readers, but you guys might know better. When I did some skimming around the movie fandom for fiction and the like to see if they'd try writing for the comic, a lot of movie fans seemed to have enjoyed the comic. A little shocked by the changes, but a mostly positive response. Although, it sounds as if they had mostly bought trade paperbacks.

Usually when a movie based off a book, isn't there a sparked interest in the source when the movie rolls around? Although, almost no one seems to be aware that "The Neverending Story" was based off a book... (I read that the author was so appauled by the movie, he wanted his credit pulled.)

On a random note, I like publicity, but I don't like false advertising. A title like Hellblazer doesn't deserve that.

Just some random thoughts.

Ah yes, like the cynical, misanthropic Communist.

Or, like Jonathan Swift.

More like Philip Marlowe, really. ;-)

Today a guy named Philip Harlow got a book from the library where I work. I was somewhat amused; would have been more amused if it had been a detective novel, though. (He got business textbooks instead. Yuck.)

And: Denise Mina will be doing 13 issues? Wow - wasn't it 6, the last time we heard any concrete numbers?

"If Saddam Hussein said that Hellblazer was great because of that one issue where Constantine went to Iraq (sic) would that be a good thing?"

Yes.

See discussion about Osama Bin Laden quoting William Blum's book "Rogue State".