Guest spiderlegs

One of my favorite comic creative teams:

FURYPEACE001_COV_COLOR_t.jpg

FURY: PEACEMAKER

Written by GARTH ENNIS

Penciled by DARICK ROBERTSON

Inked by JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Cover by PAUL GULACY

Before he presided over S.H.I.E.L.D., before he ran with the Howling Commandos, Sgt. Nick Fury fought on the blood-stained sands of the Tunisian desert. When his entire platoon was massacred by General Stephen Barkhorn and his 21st Panzer Division, Fury stumbled off into the desert toward certain death. Instead, he came face to face with his future. Now, he’s on a desperate mission that is integral to defeating the Nazi regime.

Anything to wash the vision of David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury from my mind!

Fuck that.

Ennis' solo take on Fury was the only time I've given a damn about the character, and that impressed me. And as shitty as Ennis can get, he nails the war stories almost every single time.

Wasn't that the mini where he spends half his time trying to kill his cripple spastic nephew or something...?

Wasn't that the mini where he spends half his time trying to kill his cripple spastic nephew or something...?

Complete with yet another Arseface riff, this one called Fuckhead or something similarly witty.

It was shit from start to finish.

Oh, and had lots of Asian whores.

Complete with yet another Arseface riff, this one called Fuckhead or something similarly witty.

It was shit from start to finish.

Cleary it hit John where he lives.

It's a damn fun series. Vive la Ennis!

Cleary it hit John where he lives.

Well it did offend the one minority for whose rights I spend my days fighting - Asian hookers!

Garth Ennis is an incredibly talented writer, his stock comedy characters turn me right off though.

Typically, I agree with you. Ennis seems to think he's the funniest man on the planet, and he's very obviously not. But something about this series just seemed to work...though the subplot with the nephew IS ridiculous, pointless and the complete opposite of funny. I had pretty much blotted it out until it was mentioned here. But the presentation of Fury as a bitter, hateful old warmonger seemed right for the character. I prefer NOT liking him, in a weird way.

Actually, the only time I've enjoyed Ennis' "funny" stuff have been the Kev series. And The Pro had its moments. But other than that, he's a goon with a nail-studded bat, whacking you over the head with his attempts at "the funny."

Yeah, and sometimes he's just...odd. Odin Quincannon, anyone?

Garth Ennis' sense of humor works best when he's making fun of British and Irish traditions/quirks, utilizing his irrational hatred of the French, tearing down superhero conventions or just letting the humor come out naturally when two characters are getting drunk at the pub.

I've gotta cop to being mildly amused with the scenes of Fury pushing his retarded nephew around in the zoo. But Fuckface was just stupid. Actually, the comedy elements in the last one were all pretty jarring, given the serious nature of the overall story.

"Peacemaker" looks like it'll be an interesting prequel sort of story, maybe along the lines of "Born." I'll definetly be buying the first couple of issues to see how it looks.

Garth Ennis' sense of humor works best when he's making fun of British and Irish traditions/quirks, utilizing his irrational hatred of the French, tearing down superhero conventions or just letting the humor come out naturally when two characters are getting drunk at the pub.

I'd go along with the last one, and he's occasionally got some decent gags out of the first one. But the French thing, and the superhero mockery? Do me a lemon.

That issue with the horse-eating fat French guy was the absolute, cringe-inducing, monstrously-bad low point of Preacher, which is saying something. As for the superheroics - fuck off, Garth. Stick to what you're good at. Punisher just about works, just for the sheer over-the-top ludicrosity of the whole thing (I don't enjoy it much myself, but I can see why so many people do), but otherwise, I can't think of a single superhero-centric story Ennis has written which has been less than crap.

I enjoyed his take on Green Lantern and Batman when he was still doing Hitman.

I hope this is another Born. That one was stellar.

What the fuck was I talking about? The Superman issue of Hitman is fucking ace, and the Green Lantern one was alright. Ignore the absolutist tone of my previous post, it's clearly nonsense.

I'll check it out because I love Garf's War Stories.

He is very funny (check out Dicks 2), but a lot of the times I find him rehashing the same jokes (Arseface, Fuckface and now Buttview from Ghost Rider - yawn). Regardless, I'll check it out because I'm looking for that stone cold war story.

I think someone should copyright all the remaining naughty-faced characters, only to stop Garth from making use of them in the future - Dickhand, Shitbrain, [over-used word]nose...

Marvel doesn't do "Elseworlds".

"Fury" was a MAX title, and those books are all out-of-continuity, but Marvel doesn't really care about continuity anymore.

Let's see....What Ennis did I find funny?

"True Faith" was his funniest work!

"Hitman", "Demon", and "Preacher" had their moments.

I think that's all.