Jon

favourite HB artist???

so..whos is your favourite Hb artist???...i gotta go with Sean Phillips....manco is damn good, i really like frusin too...but to me sean is the guy

Well. I would say Dave McKean but he has only done a couple of issues....

I really love Leonardo Manco's art, I do like art by Marcello Frusin but I think he was wrong for Hellblazer, I am loving his stuff on Loveless though.

Sean Phillips I see as a solid artist, competant but not one of my real favourites. Steve Dillon, well his style does little for me and he seems to have a very limited range of faces outside of the grotesque.

I would have to get a pile of comics in front of me and have a good flick through to decide on an overall favourite penicller though. I think Manco would just about scrape a 'favourite regular artist' award from me.

My least favourite was whoever was responsible for the Azzarello prison arc.

^Richard Corben.

Sean Phillips original work on the book is probably mine, but I hated the art he did during Jenkins' run. Strange.....

Manco now.

Frusin at his best.

Sean Phillips any time.

Manco was always going to be my favourite ever since I saw his work on Hellstorm, and he hasn't let me down.

John Ridgeway, David Lloyd, Sean Phillips during the Jenkins years, and Manco I thought all did a good job expressing the mood of the book.

My least favorites would be boring old Steve Dillon, horrible Mike Hoffman, the excessive shadings of Warren Pleece, and the clay midgets of Richard Corben.

the excessive shadings of Warren Pleece

Aaaagh! You... you said the name!

cower.jpg

i´ve been thinking and yes...frusin is a great artist but maybe not the best for HB.....his john looked like a 30 year old psichokiller

Sean Phillips.

Excelled at body language and facial expressions - his John always seemed so alive, especially when he was pissed off or breaking down.

What's he doing at mo ? Oh, Zombie Superheroes with Rob Kirkman, right ?

Bradtreet.

Anyone know where the testacle who illustrated Har tiem lives? I feel a HellblazerJihad coming on. :icon_twosgun:

Har tiem?

Oh, Hard Time - that was illustrated by the grotesque Richard Corben...

As to his whereabouts :

untitled19wz.jpg

Steve Dillon, Will Simpson, David Llyodd and John Higgins. I think in that order, but it would vary depending, I reckon all four are brilliant artist anyhow.

I would have loved Fabry to have done an issue.

I like Sean Phillips artwork a lot, but his hellblazer never caught me.

jamesb

How Corben is still in the business is beyond me (I knew I last saw him for a little bit on the current Swamp Thing, even though he somewhat improved but not enough for my tastes. Yikes). There are people who actually like his work...?

I think something is wrong when I'd rather read the script to a comic because I can't stand to look at the art.

Corben is, quite deservedly, somewhere between "revered" and "legendary" in comic art circles, and while I don't think either Hard Time or the recent Swamp Thing are anything like his best work, I still rate him very highly indeed as a horror artist. Your mileage may, and apparently does, vary.

I thought Corben's art on Hard Time was the best thing about that book but i think my favourite HB artist has got to be Bradstreet....pure magick(sic) :biggrin:

Corben's DEN is a brilliant piece of work, that i read when i was but a kid, and loved the weirdness of it...