Lost_Johnny

War Lord

Guest John Shirley

re War Lord and timelines.

I reviewed the whole line of HB books to try and fit the novel in without mucking it up, even asking questions here to try and do that, but when I wrote it I hadn't seen the ones about Constantine's "wife" and his alternate world children and all that...I just think of it as something he's left behind to the best of his ability...as far as I'm concerned he's still in love with Kit--or more like in love with how she made him feel.

Basically I try to be "to one side" of other time lines that may be taking place in the graphic HB when I'm writing these novels...sort of in-between that continuity...

Wasn't i supposed to use Rich? Has he been killed? Did i miss something?

I put up another post with more info and selections from the new novel SUBTERRANEAN.

I mostly got the speech patterns right I think but yes there will be some Americanism and slight mis-use...I'll try to get it even closer in Subterranean...

The tie in novels are supposed to be a kind of bridge between HB comics and the rest of the world, utilizing *some* little amount of the feel of the movie (hence a bit of the use of magical Christian relics and a movie like pacing) without losing the real JC/Hb we know and love...

I can always be found through the message board at www.darkecho.com/JohnShirley or the blog and etc at www.johnshirley.net

Guest John Shirley

Just for fun, if you want to see the writerly process here, you can compare the following to the bit I posted above--the following is the revision of that little section. Shows how the prose evolves, a little. I just did it a moment ago...

"Look here, turn that other pint over, mate," said the copper, putting his hand out, "you've had quite enough. He didn't pick you up because you're scarcely standing, you're swaying…Now let's have it."

"Oh you want it, do you?" Constantine asked, slapping the bobby on the shoulder with a false bonhomie. Then Constantine grabbed his collar, jerked him close, his other hand shoving the open pint bottle, tipped over, into the top of the bobby's trousers. Irish whisky gurgled onto the bobby's private parts. Whisky can burn, too.

He swore that he'd avoid John in the future in order to protect his family, but I can't see it being amazingly out of character that he'd get involved with him again (I haven't read the excerpt so I don't know the details of their relationship in the novels - I'm waiting till I have the book in my hands).

I mostly got the speech patterns right I think but yes there will be some Americanism and slight mis-use...I'll try to get it even closer in Subterranean...

Ah, it's bound to happen. If you're not sure about phrases and want to get expert advice, this forum's full of us lovely Brits.

Looks good. When is SUBTERRANEAN is coming out? I think amazon said July, then November.

I personally loved seeing Constantine is different situations and loved having him wandering around Syria, Iran, and Paris. He's such a fluid character that I'm expecting to read "John Shirley's Constantine" and not necessarly a re-tred of any other of his past writers when I crack open the book. The political subtext is obviously timely but luckily it didn't turn into a self-satisfied preachy rant as can easily happen with such subject matter.

The use of magic in the book was more detailed than it ever was in the comics. I could tell there was a good degree of research of magical traditions and myths whereas in the comics much of the supernatural was used more as a plot device and such, but then I suppose the joys of prose is the ability to go into more detail.

Like I said before I enjoyed it as a fast-paced action orientated different sort of Constantine story. I'm sure John Shirley could have added a few extra hundred pages and gone into extreme detail a la Tim Powers but I don't think that's what the publisher wanted. In fact it did remind me a bit of Powers' DECLARE but that might just be me.

If you ever want to try some of the lingo out on us, you can ask here - we're proper discreet pieces of work, we are. Or email ;-)

Thanks for the excellent sample passages John, I am beginning to like that internal monologue which can be a lot more expressive in a novel - and I know some of my esteemed colleagues here LOVE it in the comicbook, but it always veers towards lyrical rather than realistic. Yours is much truer.

Hope I'll be able to pick up a copy this week.

Guest John Shirley
A Demon Constantine appearence would be great .

Demon Constantine was not destroyed?

If not I may well use him in a third book...if there is one!

A Demon Constantine appearence would be great .

Demon Constantine was not destroyed?

If not I may well use him in a third book...if there is one!

Erm he was taken out while in hell but there's a hope amongst some of us that as they say in the Princess Bride "he's only mostly dead"

Mike Carey responded to Slick's plea with...

Slick - I'm not sure that devouring the Demon Constantine removes him from the picture permanently.  He's not made of real flesh - more a kind of congealed spirit.  I like the DC, and I think there's potentially a lot more mileage in him.  In some ways, he's a tailor-made nemesis for the real John, but also I think it would be possible to build a really cool story around the idea of the two of them having to work together to achieve something.

Anyway, don't rule out the possibility of him turning up again.  "That is not dead which can eternal lie".

Right I'm off to finish House of Leaves so I can read this!

Hey...are you reading front to back, or are you stopping to look at the appendix and whatnot? If you stop to read that and the footnotes when the text directs you to, the book is like a labrynth.

I thought his throat got chewed out, but not "killed" off, unless I missed something.

Yeah, it seemed ambiguous as to what happened to him as a result of getting his throat torn out. My bet is that he comes back.

He swore that he'd avoid John in the future in order to protect his family, but I can't see it being amazingly out of character that he'd get involved with him again

Rich is good-natured and not too bright, so his hanging with John again would be believable. 8-)

I'm about a third through the book right know, and so far im loving it. However, Im curious as to way lucifer is metioned instead of the first of the fallen? As far as I know lucifer is still a night club owner in LA and has no real reason to be angry with john at all. Have JC and Lucifer ever even met? Also, being someone who is in Army ROTC, and may end up over in Iraq one day, I dont think that our soldiers are that paranoid over there. I am speaking of the scene where the soldiers are checking the house for weapons. However, considering one of the themes of the book is about people being mistakingly caught in the crossfire, I can understand it. Aside from that this book is turning out great. Can't wait to see what happens. Looking forward to SUBTERRANEAN.

Slick - I'm not sure that devouring the Demon Constantine removes him from the picture permanently.  He's not made of real flesh - more a kind of congealed spirit.  I like the DC, and I think there's potentially a lot more mileage in him.  In some ways, he's a tailor-made nemesis for the real John, but also I think it would be possible to build a really cool story around the idea of the two of them having to work together to achieve something.

Anyway, don't rule out the possibility of him turning up again.  "That is not dead which can eternal lie".

:blink:

He Lives !!! Mike Carey says so ! He is to damn cool to die !

Random uber-nerdy thought: I thought John gave his love for Kit to the Demon Constantine?

That he did but I'm sure some sort of feeling for her would remain . John is way to selfish to give all anything away .

Im curious as to way lucifer is metioned instead of the first of the fallen?

I just knew this was going to come up. In WARLORD the devil, aka ole scratch, is referred to as both "Lucifer" and "The First of the Fallen". It's the same all-purpose devil. A person reading the novel shouldn't need to know the convoluted story about the Vertigo difference between Sandman's Lucifer and Hellblazer's First of the Fallen, especially since he's not a part of the storyline.

As for the scenes in Iraq. It's a fictional novel. I wouldn't worry about every single detail being factual. If you want to know what's going on talk to returning soldiers or recent Iraqi refugees to get a wider understand of the whole situation.

Random uber-nerdy thought: I thought John gave his love for Kit to the Demon Constantine?

That he did but I'm sure some sort of feeling for her would remain . John is way to selfish to give all anything away .

Also, if you are in love with someone, even that love is becoming destructive to you, it's still hard if not impossible to get rid of that love. Even if you have an avenue in which to discard it, the fact remains that you still love and you don't want to stop.*

So I can believe that he kept some for himself.

*OR SO I'VE HEARD!

He swore that he'd avoid John in the future in order to protect his family, but I can't see it being amazingly out of character that he'd get involved with him again

Well, since Chas has sworn to avoid all contact with John at least three times now, and Gemma's done it once, I don't think it's that implausible for another supporting character to go back on such a promise too.

As to the "death" of the Demon Constantine - since Mike's stated outright that the character hasn't been unequivocally killed off, and could easily come back in future, I don't see any reason for concern there either.

Hey...are you reading front to back, or are you stopping to look at the appendix and whatnot? If you stop to read that and the footnotes when the text directs you to, the book is like a labrynth.

Jay, I'll take this over to the "what are you reading now" thread so as not to derail this one too much.

Guest Guest

Hell that's right he did, didn't he. I'll either have to change girls or say that you don't get rid of love that easily. He made the mistake of seeing her agian and it all came rushing back...

I'll think about that.

Someone asked about the first of the fallen and Lucifer--sometimes it has seemed to me that this meant Lucifer, other times I wasn't sure. If it's not Lucifer who is it?

Demon Constantine could come back imo because he's just a spirit, in hell, anyway. Can you really kill a spirit? It doesn't have a body to literally bleed to death, exactly. Or does it? It's all very murky.

BTW I liked Bradstreet's cover for War Lord and will encourage them to ask him to do Subterranean too.

I don't know when Subterranean will be published I hope this summer--but I'm still writing it!

John hasn't seen Kit again since he did his magic to give his love for Kit to Demon John.

Of course, in issue #200, he has false memories of being married to Kit, I'd bet that'd bring it all rushing back!

Look at it this way, Kit was John's one true love. John is a horny bastard. The nights are long and lonely. If Kit was the most beautiful woman John has ever seen, wouldn't he at least want to keep some memories of her to get him through those nights alone?