Jimmy Corrigan

Have you read it?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Have you read it?

• Yes, I love it.
    • Yes, I didn't like it.
    • No
    • I have not heard of it.

The book is "Jimmy Corrigan (The Smartest Kid on Earth)" by Chris Ware.

The poll is self-explanatory.

Tell me what you think.

I truly believe this is the greatest comic book ever written and I know it is the most haunting story I have ever read.

I read this book in November 2005, and I have not been able to get it out of my head once since I read it. I think about it every day.

If there is only one comic book I could recommend to you (which would be hard, because there are so many great ones!), I have decided this would be the one I would pick.

Now, if you want a happy, up-beat, or escapist story that would be a problem for you....

ok, I have a confession to make. for all my love of Fantagraphics, Drawn & Quarterly, etc. heavy duty graphic novel stuff... I cannot get into Chris Ware. something about his work is just so unappealling to me. I really can't stand his stuff. the stories are just too depressing, his artwork just seems like he's going mad with a ruler and various other drawing tools. I don't like it.

I read Jimmy Corrigan but I didn't like it. AT ALL. (sorry).

I know....I know....you said it before. You love Daniel Clowes, so I'll forgive it, this time.

At least someone replied, eh?

And, as much as I've come to worship Chris Ware, his panel lay-outs can give you a headache! I find the stories worth reading enough that I take the time to figure it out, but if you didn't enjoy the story, I could see why you'd be more turned off by the fact that you have perform geometry to get the story.

And, as depressing and bleak as his stories are, which I love, and feel was the only way to do a story like Jimmy Corrigan (but I will say that Jimmy Corrigan does have a slightly happy ending, for the story it is), there's always those fake advertisements he creates to keep you laughing.

I know....I know....you said it before. You love Daniel Clowes, so I'll forgive it, this time.

At least someone replied, eh?

you should see my threads on Love & Rockets! only John McM ever replies...

And, as much as I've come to worship Chris Ware, his panel lay-outs can give you a headache! I find the stories worth reading enough that I take the time to figure it out, but if you didn't enjoy the story, I could see why you'd be more turned off by the fact that you have perform geometry to get the story.

well, I guess that is a good summation of my problems with him: his stories are bleak, which I don't mind at all, but with art being as intense and complex as it is, I just find it more trouble than it's worth: I could never get into it, and in the end finishing the damn book was more of a chore than anything else.

And, as depressing and bleak as his stories are, which I love, and feel was the only way to do a story like Jimmy Corrigan (but I will say that Jimmy Corrigan does have a slightly happy ending, for the story it is), there's always those fake advertisements he creates to keep you laughing.

the ads are cool, I\ll admit it.

Your poll options are too broad - read it and thought it was alright, certainly didn't fall in love with the thing.

As an object, it's really quite spiffy but the story never really engaged me - the ending did make me go "awwwwwwww" though.

I'll cop to having left it out on the coffee table when I've had certain folks over, catches the eye and often elicts "ooooos" and "aaaaahhhhs", like the cut-out carousel type thing.

It's...alright, I guess. I'd probably like it more if people (sorry, Christian) hadn't hyped it up as BEST COMIC EVARR, which it just isn't. At all. It's reasonably well-crafted (although definitely not as visually accessible as it should be...no book should be an actual effort to read, which this was), but didn't really connect with me in a particularly meaningful way. I freely acknowledge that it's a decent piece of work, but I don't feel any real compulsion to check out any of his other work based on Jimmy Corrigan. Overrated.

It's...alright, I guess. I'd probably like it more if people (sorry, Christian) hadn't hyped it up as BEST COMIC EVARR, which it just isn't. At all. It's reasonably well-crafted (although definitely not as visually accessible as it should be...no book should be an actual effort to read, which this was), but didn't really connect with me in a particularly meaningful way. I freely acknowledge that it's a decent piece of work, but I don't feel any real compulsion to check out any of his other work based on Jimmy Corrigan. Overrated.

Mark speaks truth, again.

I didn't love it, but I liked it a lot. I think there were a couple of places that could have been shortened...I plan on reading it again, though.

(although definitely not as visually accessible as it should be...no book should be an actual effort to read, which this was)

I actually like the more twisted designs of Ware and the more associative flow which take quite some time to read and understand. Its what I like most about him. The "How to read Comics section" in pictures only is hillarious, and trying to figure out the cut out instructions (is it possible to make that thing work?). "Quimby the Mouse" excells at this.

I agree with Mark that it doesn´t seem to mean anything (besides Wares sentimental idiosyncrasies). I remember having read an Interview with Ware where he says that Jimmy Corrigan is a character he found interesting in his mid-twenties, but thankfully he had moved on and now thinks of him as one dimensioned. I think so, too, but the novel gets better, or even good when it shows the "speechlessness" and isolation of other characters than Jimmy Corrigan, which happens not often enough imo.

I absolutely adore the Jimmy Corrigan book, but the rest of Ware's work bores me to tears. There seems to be zero emotional involvement...it's all precision and sterility...more like a geometry test and not a piece of literature.

Cut out my 5 years with Terri, and yeah, sadly it is....

Mojo-I agree with your comments most of all.

I love all of Chris Ware's work, but nothing comes close to "Jimmy Corrigan". Now, granted, he hasn't written a huge library of work, but he has pet characters he keep around, and out of all of those characters, I can't see any engaging me to read a whole book about them.

I totally disagree with Ware's own comments. Corrigan was certainly the most interesting and mature of his creations.

Apparently, those two childhood friends....the one is a naive nerd who settles down with a family eventually and the other is an introverted pervert who never grew up and lives in his own selfish world (what are their names?)....is the next novel Ware's writing, and dear Lord, I don't think I can take a whole book about them. The one guy pisses me off to no end (yeah, Ware, I know you tried to humanize him by showing his past, but he's still a completely fucked up bastard) and the other guy is boring as hell. Reading a short story about them every so often is fine, but nothing more.

This is why I don't rank Ware as high as Gaiman or Morrison or Clowes. I worship him and "Jimmy Corrigan" will always make his name shine in my eyes, but he doesn't have the depth or range of my other favourites.

Yes, I love it. [ 3 ] [33.33%]

Yes, I didn't like it. [ 3 ] [33.33%]

No [ 1 ] [11.11%]

I have not heard of it.

1, 2, 3, 4....Four. Four poll options!

:lol: ;)

I loved the Acme novelty library comics, the variety of all aspects and the wonderful writing, is really nice, while there is such a huge tongue in cheeck type of thing going on at times.

Jimmy C is great too, but I think my GF likes it much much more than I do.

Jamesb