Slickevil

Spidermans new costume.....

I hope Civil War is better than House of M.

I think Mark Millar has a better handle on out-and-out superheroics than Bendis does.

I still prefer DC though.

I'm sure I'll not like the answer, but here's the question anyway: where did all MJ's modelling/acting money go and why can't she afford to take care of May's bills?

Cocaine for sure .

Looks like ol Spidey will be on a different side than Stark . Maybe he will kick his ass yet .

Iron Man looks like he's just popped in for a cup of tea in that image up above - "Coo-ey, anyone home ?".

Again, reading that JMS interview, it all seems so false - "See we're giving him the new suit so we can make him closer to Iron Man because we need them to fall out for the next big event".

JMS said this will only last till sometime in 2007.

One other thing is this whole "Super Hero Registration act". Didnt it already happen. Only it was called The Mutant Registration act.. :icon_rolleyes: How soon will this Civil War thing be pushed under the rug. Because comics tend to have so many damn "BIG MAJOR SHIT YOUR PANTS EVENTS" but then like 2-3 months later they are completely ignored or retconned.

I like the idea of the new suit. Tho I think it's kind of a bullshit reason for Iron man and Spider-man to be friends. "I made you a new costume. So now we can be drinking buddies."

What's Captain America doing with his right hand in that sketch? No doubt the colourised version will allay my fears.

CHRIS:

I wonder if the suit would be as shit if it didn't have the gadgets and arms.

Yeah, it would.

I'm hoping he'll punch out Tony Stark and yell "I'm not wearing your lame ass fucking costume anymore!"

That'd be nice, but how much sweeter would it be if he performed Monkey Grabs the Peach and yelled "Onaniiiiist!"

No, really, how much?

Ah shite! When I read "Mark's Civil War", I was sure he was referring to Mark from this Forum.

"Civil War" sounds awful already. I'm so sick of these cross-overs. "House of M" was a complete mess, and I can't see the idea of revealing a group of superheroes who are like "The Illuminati of Marvel" really being a particularly good idea, even on paper.

On a side note, Christian, what part of Jenkins' Spectacular run is supposed to be any good? Because I just read the bit where Spidey somehow bursts out of a giant spider-corpse(?!?) and apparently has new powers...all in all, it was maybe a hair less shit than the OTHER recent storyline where Spider-Man actually eats someone's head.

And until Spider-Man is cruising around in the Spider-Mobile again, I'm not happy, goddammit.

Rocket Racer....

So, you're just asking about Jenkins' issues of "Spectacular"? His best work, by and large, was in "Peter Parker:Spider Man", mind.

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority here, but I really had no interest in reading editor mandated stories about Peter Parker turning into a spider, so I skipped those issues.

#21, 22 & 27 are the only issues of Spectacular that are worthy of most of Jenkins earlier work on "Spider Man".

21 is hilarious!

22 is a touching tale about what happened to Spidey's old obscure villain The Mindworm.

27 is an issue that brought tears to my eyes.

#14 is ok, although Jenkins already touched on those themes earlier in his Spider-run, and I still haven't figured out what the hell Morbius had to do with a story about a child with Down's Syndrome....

Let's see....what else is there....

Venom gets cancer. A good Venom story, but a good Venom story is still a sucky story by any other conditions.

Dr. Octopus becomes a terrorist. Pretty much a tie-in with the second Spidey movie.

A three parter about the Lizard. It's ok, but I just liked it because I like the Lizard.

There ya go. Jenkins run on Spectacular in a nutshell.

"One Small Break" back in Peter Parker: Spider-Man was awesome.

I think you've said that somewhere before, right Christian?

Anyway, I agree completely and wholeheartedly. Which is a hard thing to do when Christian is involved.

Sex with mice is amazing!

Yes, "One Small Break" is the best Spider Man book I have ever read.

(Christian makes it even harder to agree with him)

I'll have to seek out the older stuff...but I'm wary.

I really want Marvel to back the hell off with this "The Other" crap and let Peter David do his thing. The man has stunk as a writer at times, but I adore his previous Spider-Man work. He "gets" the character, and more importantly at this point, the importance of having a strong supporting cast.

I hated it so much when they brought Mary Jane back.

Read the "Spider Man" book around that period. Jenkins writing is crisp and fun, then comes the cross-over where Mary Jane returns, you can just see the life drain out of Jenkins as he tried to write his part of the cross-over, and then as soon as it's over, the writing picks right back up.

The description for David's next issue of Spider Man sounds really good. I'm going to give the book a try, even though I only just found out about the new costume and spider-totem crap....I was hoping that would be over by issue #5.

Yeah, and he had that good story line going with the hot chick and the dog that was building something. It just kinda evaporated.

I want Spider-Man to go back to that exact point in time. Living alone in an apartment, no Mary-Jane, no Avengers. I seem to recall he even had a supporting cast outside of Mary-Jane and Aunt May.

See, now THAT makes me want to read more of Jenkins' run. The clone sotyrline ultimately pushes me away from Spider-Man, but even before that the complete disregard and misuse of one of the superhero supporting casts had really alienated me from what I liked about the character in the first place. And I've never been a fan of Peter & MJ being married...yeah, fine, it's fantasy and he's gonna shack up with some ridicuously attractive women at points, but when a huge part of your character's appeal is that he's a bit of an outcast plagued with everyday stress and worries on top of being a superhero, well, shacking him up with a fashion model completely chucks so much of that out the window.

And that kind of leads to a larger issue...I am torn as to whether characters like that should "age." I think once Peter got out of college, he almost should have been "frozen" in time...

Spider Man was tampered with by the WEAPON X PROGRAM TOO!!!! :icon_evil:

Marvel seemed to keep back-tracking on Peter's age. He graduated from college, then he went back to working at the Daily Bugle, then he went back to college, then he ended up in elementary school, then he went to work for McDonald's, then he became a private detective, then he went to college again, then he died, then he went to high school taught by his father, then he was born, then he went to college when he should've been a Sophomore in high school, then he turned 30, then the next week he turned 25....and that's where we are right now according to Marvel!

Figures. When they celebrated his 30th anniversary, it was presented like HE was turning 30 in the comic, too. That was the last time I remember reading anything age-related before giving up on all of the Spider-comics.

Always liked Spiderman, to me he had a REASON to exist, sort of an exploration of what we might do right, or do wrong, if we suddenly could punch like an errant freight train, escape capture, and maintain anonymity as we did so.

Like, the Big Blue Boyscout never really interested me at all, because, he wasn't human.

A teenager, well, I was one once, and I am human.

However, long long since, they ran out of things to say that were to the point. So they give him a psycosis, or a new set of undies, or some robot limbs, instead.

And ACTUALLY, he doesn't NEED a new uniform now that he is a grannie-head-eating monster, does he?.

The UNIFORM was to hide his identity. Now all he needs to do, is grab anyone that sees him well enough to identify him, bite 'em, and hang them from a branch, in a web-shroud.