JohnMcMahon

Lack of content on the Constantine site

So? We got that with the Keanu fans and they were all great!

It's the Shia fans you've got to watch out for.

Try replying to my post above Ade's.

It's going to be so much fun watching this site get overrun by new fans turned on by this character once the film comes out.  So many sleepless nights by those here trying to convince the newbies how stupid they all are for loving this terribly inacurate movie.  I can guarentee you it will happen.

Oh, you know us so well.

We'll just send new folks to read these threads.

The attitude to people seeking out Hellblazer is more likely to be "if you enjoyed that film, you'll enjoy this comic even more". But you'd know that if you looked at the debate about which stories people like and which they do not like.

The trouble is we cannot un-experience the last fifteen years of Hellblazer whereas new folks remain to be excited by it.

To be fair a goodly number of Shia fans have turned out quite nicely too, once we've got them to actually read the comic.

Since most of my other points have already been taken (I agree with James, Adrian etc. above), I'll expound:

When it became known among the Keanu fan-base that Keanu was to star in a film called "Constantine", a good few of them ended up on this forum, among others Krix, as die-hard a Keanu-fan as any I've met. In the beginning, there were a few clashes, as the Keanuites couldn't understand our criticism of the movie or Keanu's involvement. As we got past the initial misunderstandings, and several of them read the comic, MANY OF THEM AGREED WITH OUR CRITICISM. (Not of Keanu, naturally, but of the changes made to the character and story)

The same happened with a gaggle of Shia-fans.

There's a lesson there for you, oh honored Guest, if you care to see it.

It's going to be so much fun watching this site get overrun by new fans turned on by this character once the film comes out.  So many sleepless nights by those here trying to convince the newbies how stupid they all are for loving this terribly inacurate movie.  I can guarentee you it will happen.

Pay attention old bean, that's already started to happen.

At the end of the day, the influx of interested (and interesting) persons will probably be the only real upshot of the flick. 'Newbie' is such a stupid fucking word and has long since picked up all kinds of negative connotations, especially in online use. As James said, we've gotten on great with the Keanu Reeves fans who've come this way and it's really hard to imagine two more disparate groups of individuals.

Your comments seem to reflect a general ignorance of the many varied and interesting discussions that have ranged over this forum and the last about Constantine, in fact it seems to ignore some of the responses made to you in this very thread!

Should this happen, and I'll make a wager with you should you care to put money where your mouth is, we will in fact introduce the new fans to something that's even better than the Constantine film--the Hellblazer book. We won't tell them they're stupid for liking the film, they'll figure out how much better a faithful adaptation of the comic would have been on their own. On the other hand, how fucking great will it be if they all turn out to be like you? That'll make this board so much more worth reading!

Of course Constantine will be like the Lord of the Rings adaptation. I mean, despite it having much more in common with, hm, Lost in Space, I'm sure it'll turn out like it was worked on by geniuses.

And the change in Spidey's web-slinging came from James Cameron, from the script he worked on nearly a decade ago, before it got passed, changed, and eventually handed to Sam Rami. Sorry to introduce facts to your little rant, but some of do still like them. Do go on, though. You're wildly entertaining. I mean, have you actually read an issue of Hellblazer? Or did Akiva Goldsman once pay for your blowjob, and now you flack internet message boards for him?

Guest Guest
And the change in Spidey's web-slinging came from James Cameron, from the script he worked on nearly a decade ago, before it got passed, changed, and eventually handed to Sam Rami.  Sorry to introduce facts to your little rant, but some of do still like them.  Do go on, though.  You're wildly entertaining.  I mean, have you actually read an issue of Hellblazer?  Or did Akiva Goldsman once pay for your blowjob, and now you flack internet message boards for him?

Watch it, you;re showing your true geek nature. You get the minute details so accurate and yet seem to be blind to the overall ideas. I mention that Micheal Keaton was the best batman - you ask yeah, so? How soon they forget the lessons from the past. What you fail to realize is that many of those who jump into reading the Constantine "novels" discover that in the later issues John essentially does nothing and they get bored. There is no evolving of the character or the mythology surrounding him. He just mopes and gets the shit beat out of him and feels sorry for those he's gotten killed. All of his best stuff was over in the first few issues. Afterwhich the writers - note, the writers -- decided to force him to live in the past and cling to the pain - just like those here that hate to see any change. It may be why some love him the way he is because he is a direct reflection of their own sorry inactive lives. But in real life people sometimes do change - they evolve and it's that evolution, even if it's being forced to talk to God, that makes them worth watching.

Taking one point as an example: The Holy Shotgun which has revieved so many threads on its own. --

John is dying, about to take his last breaths and he's gotten so pissed off at taking it up the ass from BOTH SIDES that he loses it and decides to take out as many fuckers as he can. So he jury rigs a piece of shit looking weapon from religious and not so religious artifacts - so fucking what? Trust me, if the filmmakers hadn;t done it, the writers of the comic eventually would have. And you may not admit it here but you'd all sit up and say - yes, about bloody time, John!

It's the same with John's use at magic - hinted at through out the comics - but we only see him do one tiny thing in twenty nine issues. It's all eluded to as in -- off camera, wink wink. And yet he does travel in those worlds. So it is not a stretch at all to see how he does get his info - how he does travel to hell (as in the comic), how his magic is used instead of just hinted at. So the filmmakers expand on that idea and without using the cliche pentegrams or candles or any of that bullshit, they invent ew things - like the use of water as a media that John uses to cross over. Some have balked at the scene they've heard of John sticking his shoes in a bucket of water but trust me - it fucking works and it's within his character and the audience will abosultyely love it and love him because it's surprising and allows them into John's world, no matter how bizarre. That idea is totally within the tone that has been set forth in the comic and HINTED at but never shown. But film is a visual media so there is a tendency to show something, not just talk about it. And if your arguement is that some things are left to the imagination - yes - but not everything. As long as John doesn;t give a shit about stopping to explain his actions, it's captivating and makes us want to watch this guy even closer.

The problem is because these ideas were not YET shown in the comic, you look at them as mistakes and yet they reside naturally in the world that has been created up to this point and actually may improve on it. Even John's past and how he got his abilities is shown in the film. The comic only eluded to it, the film visualizes it and invents what was missing and does it in harmony of the tone already established in the comics. There are many ideas in the film that had they first been seen in the comics would be ideas many here would have embraced because they further the mystery and depth of a character you've grown to love. It's just sad that these inferior screen writers beat the comic writers to the punch.

I noticed the lack of info on the main, site yea. I just never really cared too much because John's got everything we would be needing now to satisfy curiosity.

So what's this fucking argument all about?

Its wonderful the way in which characters like you claim to speak for me when you say things like 'you may not admit it and say yes its about time'. I've usually wanted to vomit when I see similar scenes in movies where the hero has taken a kicking and then decides, right, here is where I pull myself together in a supercool montage of training/equipment building a la The A Team and then kick the bad guy's ass. It's stupid. It stopped appealing to me at age 14.

Explain to me the connection between Michael Keaton being the best Batman and your tremendously amusing (and wrong) comment that John doesnt develop after the early issues. Have you Read all the issues????

And for someone who constantly refers to film you don't seem to know all that much about them (and dont retort to that saying you're a film exec or some such shit cos I've met a lot of film industry people that know fuck all about films and a lot about making money, and its not the same thing). You go on about how being obvious and SHOWING things is necessary in a visual media such as film but that is such Bullshit. Some of the MOST successful, CLASSIC horror/scifi/fantasy/thrillers in History were precisely that cos they Hinted instead of showed. Look at the Blair Witch Project as an example. Or the first Alien movie. Or Predator. I could go on and on and on. Movies (especially those with fantasy/horror elements) are VERY OFTEN more successful when they hint at things rather than show them. I can find you a billion articles from a billion critics/scholars/filmmakers if you dont want to believe an unqualified person like me.

And there's a reason that magic is so often alluded to instead of shown in these comics. An essence of his character is the fact that he's a con artist. he uses out and out magic when he HAS to. its a last resort. When he can get out of spots using his conning skills, he does. And also when he does magic, not releasing every spell he has in the most gory and exhibitionist of fashions is ALSO part of his character. That way his enemies rarely know just HOW powerful he really is. He himself said once (dont remember when) that most of magic is to make people look the other way. I'd add on to that making them see what really isnt there. The human imagination is a much more powerful tool than you give credit for. In terms of good cinema, the imagination conjures up better creatures/FX than more or less any FX company. Same with comics. Same with the character of COnstantine and his use of magic. See Gaiman's Books of Magic where he clears a club filled with the most dangerous members of the occult world by doing precisely Nothing. Thats the power of the character. Something you seem to know bugger-all about.

John - any way of unscrewing that quote mess from my last post? i can't do it meself...

Guest spiderlegs

Dear guest, now that you are a fixture in this particular thread, won't you take the time to register and respond to other topics in this forum? Even if you just continue to post in this thread only, I wonder what keeps you from registering.

yeah, being a guest means any of us can just log off, and post an apology for your previous posts, pretending we're you... :D

Any chance of you putting a name (or pseudonym) to your posts ? Feels a bit silly engaging in an ongoing discussion with a nameless chap or chapette!

What you fail to realize is that many of those who jump into reading the Constantine "novels" discover that in the later issues John essentially does nothing and they get bored.

Why not save yourself the quotes and call them what they are matey, comics!

I'm baffled as to why anyone wanted to make a movie out of a story which is apparently so terribly unworkable in that medium! Did someone opt to make it before cracking open one of the comics ?

Constantine, the movie, reads like an interesting enough occult action thriller that just happens to nick a bit from the Hellblazer : Dangerous Habits trade (while at the same time twisting it in such a way so as to miss the point of that very scene in the first place). "Keanu Reeves, God Botherer" would've made a better title for the flick and done away with any need for the Hellblazer association, from which it gains bugger all anyway.

John is dying, about to take his last breaths and he's gotten so pissed off at taking it up the ass from BOTH SIDES that he loses it and decides to take out as many fuckers as he can.  So he jury rigs a piece of shit looking weapon from religious and not so religious artifacts - so fucking what?

So it portrays a character whose strongest trait, whose one ace-in-the-hole is his cunning and guile falling back on the crutch of the all-American action hero - guns'n'bullets. Treading into spoilers here, the ultimate resolution of the scene involving the shotgun makes it all the more frurating as it's totally superfluous to what happans!

So it is not a stretch at all to see how he does get his info - how he does travel to hell (as in the comic), how his magic is used instead of just hinted at.

We've seen Constantine use magic dozens of times! It's something that we've seen covered in countless pages of the comic - the most recent example I can think of being the use of a biro and an empty packet of fags in an act of divination magic. The water to hell stuff all sounds very silly indeed - the logic behind it that you put forth is really quite laudable but the exection...well, marks for effort I suppose!

Even John's past and how he got his abilities is shown in the film.  The comic only eluded to it

Um...no...this has all been covered in the comic - John's magical abilities aren't inherent, they're learned. It's a skill, not a superpower. John's past, from his early childhood up through his teens to his now old age has all been covered.

You're showing a real ignorance of the source material here which, of course, wouldn't be a big thing if you weren't trying to speak with authority on the matter!

There's a bit too much embarrassing passive-aggressive tomfoolery going on in here, from John Goodrich's blowjob jibe to your own-oh-so-subtle "sure ye all only like Hellblazer cause you're a pack of sad geeks" effort.

Guest spiderlegs
yeah, being a guest means any of us can just log off, and post an apology for your previous posts, pretending we're you... :D

:lol:

Yeah, we can all cut out the smart-arsing and insults now, cheers lads.

Rogan, can't fix that botched post of yours - doesn't like something in that final quoted paragraph.

okay, i took out that last paragraph, so i'll try and post it here now

If you're ever lucky to make your living in that world, you'll understand or as Spacey so elequently said at the end of American Beauty -  "I realize none of you have any idea what I'm talking about, but don't worry, you will."

oooh, add a messianic complex to your long list of "virtues" apparent from this single post...

well, it was juts a left-over form my old post, not a new one!

Guest Guest
Its wonderful the way in which characters like you claim to speak for me when you say things like 'you may not admit it and say yes its about time'. I've usually wanted to vomit when I see similar scenes in movies where the hero has taken a kicking and then decides, right, here is where I pull myself together in a supercool montage of training/equipment building a la The A Team and then kick the bad guy's ass. It's stupid. It stopped appealing to me at age 14.

Great, you've 'evolved.'  Pat yourself on the back .

Explain to me the connection between Michael Keaton being the best Batman and your tremendously amusing (and wrong) comment that John doesnt develop after the early issues. Have you Read all the issues????

I  can;t belive I have to explain that.  It was in reference that most fans of a comic seem to know what's best.  They were in such an uproar when Michael Keaton was cast as the lead and yet now embrace him as the best of all choices.

As for Constantine not evolving - You somehow connected those two ideas together, not me.  Yes, I have read ALL the issues.

And for someone who constantly refers to film you don't seem to know all that much about them (and dont retort to that saying you're a film exec or some such shit cos I've met a lot of film industry people that know fuck all about films and a lot about making money, and its not the same thing). You go on about how being obvious and SHOWING things is necessary in a visual media such as film but that is such Bullshit. Some of the MOST successful, CLASSIC horror/scifi/fantasy/thrillers in History were precisely that cos they Hinted instead of showed. Look at the Blair Witch Project as an example. Or the first Alien movie. Or Predator. I could go on and on and on. Movies (especially those with fantasy/horror elements) are VERY OFTEN more successful when they hint at things rather than show them. I can find you a billion articles from a billion critics/scholars/filmmakers if you dont want to believe an unqualified person like me.

You're like the bad actor waiting for other actors to stop talking so they can say their lines.  Problem is - you're not hearing what the other is saying.  Reread my letter and point to me where I said EVERYTHING needs to be shown or explained.  Of course the imagination is the most powerful tool a filmamker could use but you have to show SOMETHING to intice the imagination to begin with.  The hint of the alien around the corner - the glimpse of the fin of the shark.  And those revered  films you mentioned did not hold back when necessary.  Imagine if they had just talked about it --  "There's an alien on board and if it gets inside you it may BURST out of your chest!  Ekkkk... don;t let it near me, Captain."  "There's this shark that is sooo big it could almost captsize this boat.  Well gosh I hope we never see it!"  "You won;t, you'll just hear about it."  Please don;t lecture me on suspense and imagination, it's insulting.

And there's a reason that magic is so often alluded to instead of shown in these comics. An essence of his character is the fact that he's a con artist. he uses out and out magic when he HAS to. its a last resort. When he can get out of spots using his conning skills, he does.

They're eluded to for the most part because of the mystery, yes, but also because comics canj not convey the same terror/horror/wondermeant that a moving visual image can.  It's just the limitation of the comic.  If you think I'm wrong then maybe you should make movies where a narrator is filmed just reading the book.

There is a scene in the film that has even been talked about here - in good light by the way - of John using a Bible to give a demon his lasts rights - thereby threatening to send his soul to heaven - it's all a big fat ass con.  Well it's not in any of the comics so how the hell did the writers write that if they didn;t understand John's nickname - ConJob?  You're preaching to the choir.  As for using his magic as a last resort --  don;t you think taking your last breath on earth would be a place to use something as a "last resort?"  Or is should he save his magic for something more important? 

And also when he does magic, not releasing every spell he has in the most gory and exhibitionist of fashions is ALSO part of his character. That way his enemies rarely know just HOW powerful he really is. He himself said once (dont remember when) that most of magic is to make people look the other way.

Have you seen the film?  Do you know that he doesn't do thatt?  This is the argument here - you pick up on the tiniest thing that might go counter with your interpretation and blow it up into the thing that ruins the film - while you're taking it completely out of context.

I'd add on to that making them see what really isnt there. The human imagination is a much more powerful tool than you give credit for. In terms of good cinema, the imagination conjures up better creatures/FX than more or less any FX company. Same with comics. Same with the character of COnstantine and his use of magic. See Gaiman's Books of Magic where he clears a club filled with the most dangerous members of the occult world by doing precisely Nothing. Thats the power of the character. Something you seem to know bugger-all about.

Well, I have enough imagination to picture you sitting in the theater and watching your physically eat your own words. 

Yes, I have read ALL the issues.

Really ?

Obviously they didn't make much of an impression given the numerous incorrent statements you've made about the events that occurred therein!

Oh and will Constantine have a PG13 or R cert ?

Guest Guest
Really ?

Obviously they didn't make much of an impression given the numerous incorrent statements you've made about the events that occurred therein!

Oh and will Constantine have a PG13 or R cert ?

How should I know? I'm just a troll/shill paid to cause disturbances. It's such an easy job.

Are you going to address the points I made in my last couple of posts ?

I've already told everyone to calm down, if you want to play the martyr then by all means sod off and go cry in the corner.

edit : I'm a big grumpy cause Everton just got turned over by the Arsenal under 14s. I'm quite enjoying this discussion and would like everyone to chill.

(Ade, I edited this post and ripped the quote tags out of the last quoted segment and replaced them with italics - John)

What you fail to realize is that many of those who jump into reading the Constantine "novels" discover that in the later issues John essentially does nothing and they get bored.  There is no evolving of the character or the mythology surrounding him.  He just mopes and gets the shit beat out of him and feels sorry for those he's gotten killed.

Over 200 comics say you are wrong.

Sure, there are times when he's stayed still, but then his story is told in a close semblance of real time, so that's just being realistic. Not a luxury Hollywood can afford, of course.

All of his best stuff was over in the first few issues.

Wrong.

Afterwhich the writers - note, the writers -- decided to force him to live in the past and cling to the pain - just like those here that hate to see any change. 

Wrong.

It may be why some love him the way he is because he is a direct reflection of their own sorry inactive lives.

Abusive.

(Matador claimed to be a psychologist of some sort, didn't he?)

But in real life people sometimes do change - they evolve and it's that evolution, even if it's being forced to talk to God,  that makes them worth watching. 

Correct.

Taking one point as an example:  The Holy Shotgun which has revieved so many threads on its own. --

John is dying, about to take his last breaths and he's gotten so pissed off at taking it up the ass from BOTH SIDES that he loses it and decides to take out as many fuckers as he can.  So he jury rigs a piece of shit looking weapon from religious and not so religious artifacts - so fucking what?  Trust me, if the filmmakers hadn;t done it, the writers of the comic eventually would have.  And you may not admit it here but you'd all sit up and say - yes, about bloody time, John! 

Okay, this merits some discussion.

It demonstrates your (and the movie's) fundamental misunderstanding of the established character. He AIN'T going to go POSTAL like you speculate. That's never been how he works. He's usually one step ahead of these "fuckers" as you so eloquently call them, and when he's not he usually makes it seem so.

Have you seen Takeshi's reworking of Zatoichi ?

If so, read the following spoiler, if not, ignore and read on.

Paraphrasing: The Blind Swordsman opens his eyes after he defeats the evil baron, who says "I knew you were not blind right from the start". Zatoichi says "A blind man gets treated differently. It is a good advantage."

After the baron dies, Zatoichi says "I *am* blind.

THAT is how John Constantine behaves.

It's the same with John's use at magic - hinted at  through out the comics - but we only see him do one tiny thing in twenty nine issues.

You have a lot more reading to do to see where we are coming from.

Do you mind if I call you Matoichi in the mean time ?

It's all eluded to as in -- <SNIP>

The problem is because these ideas were not YET shown in the comic, you look at them as mistakes and yet they reside naturally in the world that has been created up to this point and actually may improve on it.

Wrong. There *are* mistakes, but most of the things you are referring to (dare I say "alluding" ?) are just FUNNY.

Even John's past and how he got his abilities is shown in the film.  The comic only eluded to it, the film visualizes it and invents what was missing and does it in harmony of the tone already established in the comics. 

Wrong. Someone's already explained to you how John learned his stuff.

He did not develop it because he had some spurious psychic ability which caused him to see demons ... ORIGINAL ? Hmmm "I see demon people."

Matoichi also wrote -There are many ideas in the film that had they first been seen in the comics would be ideas many here would have embraced because they further the mystery and depth of a character you've grown to love. It's just sad that these inferior screen writers beat the comic writers to the punch.

There are some great scenes in there.

Some of those scenes were not even lifted from the comic.

Any explanatory backstory I have read about Constanteen appears to have been grafted on like that mouse that had a cloned ear on its back.

Thanks for raising so many provocative points that needed explaining to you.

The Quote function can be a little tempremental when it comes to certain things, so when you have a post full of quotes, all it takes is for one batch of tags not to work properly and your entire post gets mangled up.

What you fail to realize is that many of those who jump into reading the Constantine "novels" discover that in the later issues John essentially does nothing and they get bored.

You got bored. I didn't, and neither did a few of the Keanu fans who were good enough to gamble their money on a few comics. Some will like it and some won't - and we won't hold anything against those that hate it (Tom - the most vehemently anti-Constantine poster - wasn't a fan of Garth Ennis' run on the title, the very one that you allude to, either).

There is no evolving of the character or the mythology surrounding him. He just mopes and gets the shit beat out of him and feels sorry for those he's gotten killed.

Incorrect. There's a pretty obvious evolution of the character from Dangerous Habits through Fear and Loathing, Tainted Love, Damnation's Flame and Rake at the Gates of Hell. You problem is that you chose one book out of this character arc and declared that John didn't change, which is like taking one chapter out of a novel and deciding that nothing of import happens.

All of his best stuff was over in the first few issues. Afterwhich the writers - note, the writers -- decided to force him to live in the past and cling to the pain - just like those here that hate to see any change.

John's guilt over his actions is one of the most defining characteristics, and one that makes his character so compelling. If you'd read every single issue, you would know that there are periods of happiness inbetween the gloom. Just like real life, see?

It may be why some love him the way he is because he is a direct reflection of their own sorry inactive lives.

Ah, of course, when you can't come up with a plausible argument against the literature, blame the fans. A WINNER IS YOU!

And do try to remember - we come here because we're enthusiastic about a comic book. You apparently come here to taunt us. If we're losers, what does that make you?

But in real life people sometimes do change - they evolve and it's that evolution, even if it's being forced to talk to God, that makes them worth watching.

John has evolved - from the sarky, daring lad-about-town of his earliest appearances in Swamp Thing into the bitter, burnt out old man of late. There are certain elements of his character which remain static, but that's a result of the medium rather than an indictment of the writers' abilities.

And there's a difference between having him evolve and having him do something which is so absurdly against the whole point of his character that you might as well be writing about something else. It's like writing a Superman film, but having him give up the suit and go become a crack dealer because it's an easier and more lucrative life. Yeah, it's an interesting progression, but one which is completely contrary to the spirit of the source material.

So he jury rigs a piece of shit looking weapon from religious and not so religious artifacts - so fucking what? Trust me, if the filmmakers hadn;t done it, the writers of the comic eventually would have.

Christ, I hope not. Hellblazer's had some shit storylines, but nothing as bad as that. Are you saying that we should be grateful to the movie writers for stopping this crap idea from turning up in the comic?

And you may not admit it here but you'd all sit up and say - yes, about bloody time, John!

No, I wouldn't. And I sincerely doubt anyone else would have. Nothing loses an argument faster than trying (and failing) to second-guess the reactions of the other party.

It's the same with John's use at magic - hinted at through out the comics - but we only see him do one tiny thing in twenty nine issues. It's all eluded to as in -- off camera, wink wink.

Sometimes. And sometimes it's not. He's supposed to be part conman and part magician, you see? The appeal of the character is that sometimes he DOES just talk his way out of things, or trick people into letting him go. If he pulls magic spells out of his arse every ten minutes then he might as well be in some Hollywood movie... oh... wait...

But there have been times when he's used magic - and I'd like to know which 29 issues you're referring to, just so I can point out every bit of supernatural trickery he's used.

Some have balked at the scene they've heard of John sticking his shoes in a bucket of water but trust me - it fucking works and it's within his character and the audience will abosultyely love it and love him because it's surprising and allows them into John's world, no matter how bizarre.

Nah, it's just a stupid idea, isn't it? I can see it working with Weisz in the bath as a kind of reverse baptism, but when he's got his feet in the water and he's looking into the eyes of a cat... if that's how you get to Hell, surely every old woman in existence would have gone there at least twice?

The problem is because these ideas were not YET shown in the comic, you look at them as mistakes and yet they reside naturally in the world that has been created up to this point and actually may improve on it.

Nah, the problem is that it's a stupid idea. It doesn't have to be taken from the comics - god knows most of the writers are making it up as they go along - but it does have to be plausible within the fictional world and have some kind of logic to it. Why does sticking your feet in water make it easier to enter Hell?

Even John's past and how he got his abilities is shown in the film.

He got his abilities by teaching himself the relevant skills, as shown in the comics (issue 31, Mourning of the Magician). He doesn't have innate superpowers, except possibly some kind of predisposition towards the dark arts carried down in his blood. He's a self-made man though.

There are many ideas in the film that had they first been seen in the comics would be ideas many here would have embraced because they further the mystery and depth of a character you've grown to love.

Which ones? I'd have laughed at the FootSpa of Evil and spat bile at whoever came up with the Holy Shotgun. And don't get me started on the lame magical matchbox. Oh no! It's a mexian jumping bean FROM HELL!

Ideas from the film that I liked: the guessing game to get into Midnite's club, the death in the liquor store, the scene with the bible... er... no, I think that's it. Maybe John can enlighten me, because I do recall drunkenly rambling about liking bits of the movie to him when we were in London...

IN SUMMARY

The majority of your statements are ill-informed nonsense. Most of the rest of them are insults. You decline to engage in a genuine discussion, instead making downright incorrect statements about our personalities, tastes, personal lives and reactions to hypothetical events.

You seem to think that the screenwriters of this film are infallible, that every idea in it would be perfect in the comic if only the people who write it could be half as smart as you* and that the film will be a perfect evolution of the comic book series despite all evidence to the contrary.

You are Kevin Brodbin and I claim my five pounds.

*I hate to shatter your ego, but I'm pretty certain that you are nowhere near as imaginative or intelligent as anyone who's ever written for Hellblazer, even the rubbish one.