St. Apathy

Membrane

andy    2

I think it was John, Gaz, someone else, and the only once seen Beano on drums with Chas acting as Rodie. Beano was identified as the drummer in HB #77 by Ennis. Although you'd think Chas would know who Beano was is he was the Rodie. But I digress...I'm not sure which of the Newcastle crew besides Gaz were band members though.

andy    2

Which just shows that the exact line up of Mucous Membrane has never been established. You got J.C. on vocals, Beano on drums at some point, Gaz on either bass or lead guitar, and then the mystery member. It wasn't Ben Cox, Frank, Ritchie, or Judith. There's a story in there somewhere.

TheMojoPin    0
There's a story in there somewhere.

They were shit. They broke up. THEN John's life got interesting. The end.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

No, I saw them once. They were pretty good. I got the shirt and everything...

Pooka    785

Yeah, someone poke John about those t-shirts.

(I bet there's a bunch of people walking round Dublin wearing HB t-shirts, isn't there?) :biggrin:

bryce    0

Their last gig they opened for some band....only thing I remember from that showwas the headliner's number where Mighty Stonehenge was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.

slinker    893

Ta-daaaaa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y44dN556Uog

I got the band who recorded this piece of shit to promise they'll redo the vocals. It's otherwise a decent song if the singer sang worth a fuck. So enjoy this my labor of love for the comic, its creators, this forum, the book's fans, and punk rock.

I will be gone most of the summer. Take care of yourselves, be good enough that no one notices you doing anything wrong, and I'll catch you on the flip side of summer time...

James    38

There was also Les, who appeared in a couple of Azzarello stories, and an unnamed female keyboardist in the Venus of the Hardsell video. For more info, see here.

dogpoet    454

Wasn't the keyboards player Judith out of Swamp Thing?

slinker    893

I remember when jef first posted the mp3, someone, I think it was Jamie Delano himself, asked if extra lyrics had been added, and we looked at the lyrics in the HB Annual #1 and sure enough, he was singing a phantom extra line not present in the "video." But anytime we talk about the song, because I needle hima ll the time to redo it. I love it, it's a kickass version held back only by the fact he recorded it in one take. Basically, the version on the video is his working guide template that he records and then lays tracks over. I don't know or understand his process, but anyway, we couldn't figure out where the hell that lyric came from. It's at the part where it starts off "New uniforms at the church bizarre...fanatics got the rising star..." but in the HB Annual, it goes "past the billboard bride troops the national pride, it's all supplied by the Venus of the Hard sell..." In his recording, after that first phrase, jef sings, "Thin dark streets ring with marching men's feet...past the billboard bride..." etc.

But thanks to some diligent detective work on my part--because the lyric he added is poetic and cool and he swears he didn't write it but can't remember where it came from. I aksed him what he used when he recorded, just the comic. No, he used a txt file. He opened it, and there's that phantom lyric again. But he typed it, right? Yes, he did, but not from the HB Annual #1 as he thought. I refer the reader to the first traded printing of Original Sins, in which a fictitious writer is trying to track john down for an interview, but is unsuccessful to the point that he has begun hating john by the end. John sends an apology note with a broken 45rpm single of "Venus of the Hard Sell" with the lyrics printed on the outer sleeve. Voila. Mystery solved.

venushardselllyrics.jpg

It probably didn't even register with anyone else, but ever since Rogan posted that response by Delano about extra lyrics, it has bothered me and I bothered Jefro about it because, Like I said, I want him to rerecord it. Some people in Brazil fucking love it--most of the YouTube plays, over half of them, are from Brazil.

Finally, I got an email a few hours after we discovered where the phantom lyric came from--he HAD rerecorded the entire song, bass drums guitars, everything except the vocals. He says he likes how rough and loose they sound and he promises he did remix them so they sound clearer. but the power supply on his workstation computer failed this morning while mixing it. he doesn't even know if the crash damaged the file or anything, but his PC won't stay booted up. It runs for 5 or so minutes, and then pops loudly and dies. Sounds like shit to me.

But the darling boy sent me an email last night that I didn't check, which had an attachment attached to it. And for another lyrical miscue, in the first version, he left out the last line "free her and live". It's included in this version. Unfortunately, he put the crowd noise back in, and if his PC is crashed beyond repair, this might be the only good version of the song now. It's ALOT better, but still rough and still with the stupid crowd.

So, Venus of the Hard Sell for 2012.