Guest MacGregor

Have you found God?

I like Jesus

Sorry, but this had me cracking up for a little bit. Don't know why.

It did me too....

I've heard that "God is in the TV", but I haven't figured out how a TV works yet, so I can't check this allegation for truthhood.

Like all good Commies, I'm an Atheist.

You Godless Communist!!!!

No, it's Elvis Costello.  It may be the tune he's most famous for.

tis Nick Lowe.

That's funny, because I remember clearly EC's voice singing the lines, and every hit on my first page of web results for What's so funny about peace, love and understanding? is for Elvis Costello.

I can't believe I'm getting so goofy that I'm misremembering the music of my teens and twenties.

I have a best of collection of Elvis Costello; it's on it.

OOPS!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Lowe

So Lowe wrote it but Costello made a hit out of it. Well what the hell. 8-)

I didn't know the two had worked so closely together so much.

"Have you found God?"

hmm....This thread reminds me of a little game we used to play called "Where's Waldo?"

Mojo thinks he found God living in the backwoods of Kentucky, playing a banjo.

Josh found God in the lyrics of a song performed BUT NOT WRITTEN by Costello.

And, Gen, she found God in a godless Communist.

Why is it that everytime I see a thread about "God" or "America", and I see that Christian has posted, I think "Oh shit....it's on now!'

What? I dont understand your post Christian -

I was saying "yes" to the thread question and nowhere else

so where did the godless communist remark come from?

I like Jesus

Sorry, but this had me cracking up for a little bit. Don't know why.

It did me too....

I've heard that "God is in the TV", but I haven't figured out how a TV works yet, so I can't check this allegation for truthhood.

Like all good Commies, I'm an Atheist.

You Godless Communist!!!!

Gen...this is what Christian was referring to...

It has always existed, and it needed no creator, because it is on a loop.

even a loop must be programed, often times most carefully. I'm no advocate but I can't help but wonder...life is just too beautiful (and sad) to be a mere accident, no? But that still don't prove shit, in the long run.

If man were made in God's image and likeness, like the book says, then he is a creator. We make these computers to simulate extremely fast human brains and mighty robots to do our work for us. Sometimes we train these machines to loop endlessly in a perpetual state until they receive some input to direct them otherwise. If we did not, these machines would not know how to interact with each other and crash.

even a loop must be programed, often times most carefully. I'm no advocate but I can't help but wonder...life is just too beautiful (and sad) to be a mere accident, no? But that still don't prove shit, in the long run.

I believe there had to be some start, but...

It could be argued that we think it needs a start point because we cannot comprehend something that does not have one.

What does God hope to gain from making us sad?

I find beauty to be far more profound to think that it would happen by accident. It explains all the fucked up shite adequately, but to think, that amidst all the awful that a perfectly formed leaf could have come into existence too (not by any craftsman) is truly amazing and awe-inspiring.

I believe there had to be some start, but...

It could be argued that we think it needs a start point because we cannot comprehend something that does not have one.

Life is too cruel to believe that someone up there is not laughing at me!

"It could be argued that we think it needs a start point because we cannot comprehend something that does not have one."

Moebius loop.

My prior post has been edited

What does God hope to gain from making us sad?

What is sad? What is happy? Perhaps God is simply the raw force of nature and does not care at all about your feelings. If the human experience is an accident of human nature than so is the earthquake, the mudslide, the hurricane, the human error, and all of those things that can take the life you hold most dear and rip it away in a matter of seconds. It was all an accident that brought it into being, and an accident that took it away. Does this 'God' care?

Just like with Mojo's fallible God, why would one want to believe in a cold, unfeeling God; who created us and no longer gives a damn about his creation.

Much like a petulant child who has gotten tired of his army doll and tosses it aside, now wanting the "Grand Theft Auto" video game.

Of course, if we are referring to "god" in the sense that nature is a god, that's a different story. I don't see how you can label something such as nature as a "god". If you deified it, then yes, you could call it "god". It's a creator force, I guess you'd say.

"If man were made in God's image and likeness, like the book says, then he is a creator. We make these computers to simulate extremely fast human brains and mighty robots to do our work for us. Sometimes we train these machines to loop endlessly in a perpetual state until they receive some input to direct them otherwise. If we did not, these machines would not know how to interact with each other and crash"

Humans, in their fallible wisdom, attempt to make the best computer possible, correct? We don't want computers to crash and make mistakes, although they sometimes do, because they are programmed by our limited human intellect.

Nature is prone to chaos and entropy.

Obviously, God didn't try very hard when he created us. Maybe he should have taken more than 6 days to do all that work. He obviously got lazy.

If, as the book says, God is omnipotent and omniscent and omnipresent, then Hir would have the ability to create a creation that was ordered. We wouldn't have to worry about "system failures" and all that.

Humans are flawed, therefore, if there is a Creator Deity, Hir must always be flawed. And, once again, I ask, why would anyone care to believe in a flawed, imperfect Creator Deity? We could do better for ourselves!

Since we are talking about religion and God and nature...I thought I would share this.

From Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis:

You see that bench?" Deepak says.

"Yes," I say.

"You think it's a bench," Deepak says.  "But it isn't."

I smile patiently.

"It's also you,"  Deepak says.  "You, Victor, are also that bench."

Deepak bows deeply."

"I know I've changed," I tell Deepak.  "I'm a different person now."

Deepak bows deeply again.

"I am that bench," I hear myself say.

"You see that pigeon?"  Deepak says.

"Baby, I gotta run,"  I interrupt.  "I'll catch you later."

"Don't fear the reaper, Victor,"  Deepak says, walking away.

I'm nodding mindlessly, a vacant grin pasted on my face, until I turn around and mutter to myself, "I am the fucking reaper, Deepak," and a pretty girl smiles at me from underneath an awning and it's Wednesday and late afternoon and getting dark.

I find beauty to be far more profound to think that it would happen by accident.

Just like with Mojo's fallible God, why would one want to believe in a cold, unfeeling God;

So if a God (which I absolutely do not believe in) creates absolute beauty purely by accident, why would we think it has a reasonable, moral thought pattern to distinguish between pain and pleasure?

"If man were made in God's image and likeness, like the book says, then he is a creator. We make these computers to simulate extremely fast human brains and mighty robots to do our work for us. Sometimes we train these machines to loop endlessly in a perpetual state until they receive some input to direct them otherwise. If we did not, these machines would not know how to interact with each other and crash"

Humans, in their fallible wisdom, attempt to make the best computer possible, correct? We don't want computers to crash and make mistakes, although they sometimes do, because they are programmed by our limited human intellect.

Obviously, God didn't try very hard when he created us. Maybe he should have taken more than 6 days to do all that work. He obviously got lazy.

If, as the book says, God is omnipotent and omniscent and omnipresent, then Hir would have the ability to create a creation that was ordered. We wouldn't have to worry about "system failures" and all that.

Humans are flawed, therefore, if there is a Creator Deity, Hir must always be flawed. And, once again, I ask, why would anyone care to believe in a flawed, imperfect Creator Deity? We could do better for ourselves!

The God concept is flawed. If he/she would have wanted us to love him/her unconditionally, then he/she would have programmed that without fail. Perhaps love and admiration is so much more delicious when it is earned. To feel the need to be worshipped to me is a flaw of character, maybe because I'm only human.

If God gave mankind conciousness to decide wether or not man loved God unconditionally

Then God itself is not selfless

And therefore is flawed in my eyes, and petty as a human.

The God concept is flawed. If he/she would have wanted us to love him/her unconditionally, then he/she would have programmed that without fail. Perhaps love and admiration is so much more delicious when it is earned. To feel the need to be worshipped to me is a flaw of character, maybe because I'm only human.

If God gave mankind conciousness to decide wether or not man loved God unconditionally

Then God itself is not selfless

And therefore is flawed in my eyes, and petty as a human.

Well, in the Bible, it does say, "I am a jealous God"

I agree with you, Lou.

Sadly, this God doesn't do much to earn our love, and so feels Hir must bully us into loving Hir.

Yahweh, conceptualized in the "Holy books" is actually not that distant from the idea created by the Greeks and Romans for their Pantheon.

Human ideas of religion has not evolved anywhere near as quickly as their other ideas.

"Our God is a jealous God,

He reigns fire and hail

from Mount Olympus!"

According to Biblical scholars, the use of the term "jealousy" in the Bible has a different meaning when applied to God than when we use it.

Sounds like serious ret-conning to me!

"Our God is a jealous God,

He reigns fire and hail

from Mount Olympus!"

According to Biblical scholars, the use of the term "jealousy" in the Bible has a different meaning when applied to God than when we use it.

Sounds like serious ret-conning to me!

Hmmm...I desire your attention exclusively....

sounds like the same jealousy to me...

....I am an obsessed God

I am sitting in your driveway now, crying and looking at pictures of our first date. Remember that? The amusement park? When you says no other God would ever share your bed? WHAT HAPPENED, huh? Why...Why don't you love ME?

That is why I can't believe God has a concsience. That is why I equate God to a cold relentless and beatiful force of nature. The old-man-in-the-sky-who-remembers-your-birthday concept is flawed. We are placing humanistic behavior on a force we do not undertsand. It's ludicrous. But at the same time it's all too beautiful, innit?

God giveth and he taketh away. It's god's way. your best friend dies? Oh it was God's will. It's all too easy to say that and that shit really burns my ass.