J. White

Killing John Constantine

Which seems like a better idea for Hellblazer? Would John Constantine be better off killed - giving the future Gemma Masters a better chance for a new Hellblazer(?)

Or would John just continue living the good life...er...well some kind of life.

It's something I was pondering over half a joint and a High Life last night, but I'd still like to hear creative ways the Hellblazer could bite it.

I think J.C. shouldn't die... yet.

but if it were to happen, he'd die alone and betrayed, therefore fullfilling his mesianic complex, dying to save everyone else, kinda like Jesus who hates humanity, but STILL decides to die for it, for the sake of few good men and women he knows.

Even if you killed him off, he'd just go down to Hell and kick up shit down there. So you might as well let him grow old and venomous as in Delano's Bad Blood.

or kill him, and let Mike Carey move the comic's direction into the realms of Hell, when he's done with it in Lucifer...

Even if you killed him off, he'd just go down to Hell and kick up shit down there. So you might as well let him grow old and venomous as in Delano's Bad Blood.

Putting aside Bad Blood, I'd still like to see Constantine reach a high age. Still, I like Rogan's idea but, correct me if I'm wrong because I don't read Lucifer, but can you really make Hell that elaborate?

hell, John'd have a larger supporting cast in hell, then anywhere else... :)

his dad, Demon Constantine, all of the not-so-friendly ghosts, S.W. Manor... :D

Putting aside Bad Blood, I'd still like to see Constantine reach a high age. Still, I like Rogan's idea but, correct me if I'm wrong because I don't read Lucifer, but can you really make Hell that elaborate?

Carey's split hell into a series of feuding factions and counties, so there's room for plenty of Constantine cunning there. And there's something Very Big happening to Hell in the latest issue...

I really would recommend reading Lucifer; for the most part, it's superior to anything Mike's done on Hellblazer.

So, James - do you think hellblazer would be ready for such a major change of setting, or does J.C. work best in the social commentary enviroment of UK/US/third world countries?

I didn't say that it would be a good idea, did I?

No, it'd have to be a completely different comic, and I can't see it running for long before the novelty wears off.

hmmm... this certainly brings up a question closely related to John's death - does Hellblazer need a drastic new change in direction? (it already had one with Azz...) or should it rather be cancelled?

John's death would unleash a shitstorm in hell, would it not? Doesn't everyone want a piece of his soul? I still can't quite untangle how many demons want a piece of him. I suggested once on the Vertigo board that if I were John I would be magically creating an alternative space in the afterworld, where neither heaven nor hell could get their hands on me. Anyway, it seems like all kinds of stories of John-after-dying could be told. However, I prefer to see him live to a ripe, cranky old age. We've seen a variety of future Johns. Aside from Bad Blood, which I love, there's issue 36, where he dreams he's eighty years old (so 2033) and living in some conformist future hell where he has to smoke homegrown tobacco and they expel him from the community. And there's my personal favorite, where I get my username, in issue 40 where his future self has produced twins with Mary, the daughter of the son of Errol and Merc, Errol Jr.... I kind of hope that prophecy will be fulfilled, although I despair of ever seeing the Freedom Mob characters again. I still think Zed and Merc are great characters. And Errol... he's the bollocks.

Should John be replaced by Gemma?! NO! It might be ok to do, but do not make a comic revolving around her! You can mention, Gemma took over John's job, or whatever....but I don't care or want to know about Gemma's adventures. After John is gone, there's no more story.

Should John die?! YES! In the end, I cannot see John's story ending other than him dying alone.

Should it be soon?! NO! I just want that be the end of John's life. Let him grow old and bitter. #36 has always been my vision of John's true future (without the annoying references to Mercury and Marge which the little bitch made John dream about, IMO).

Maybe he could be hoping to find Kit again in the end instead of Mercury. NOTE:I also do not want to see Kit appear in "Hellblazer" again. I wouldn't mind seeing a story about her, but not in relation to John. That's over.

I think if John did make that part of the afterlife where no one could touch him, he'd pretty much end up like Aleister Crowley.....

I like the common man image of John. Where he thinks he can bluff his way around Hell, but in the end, he's just another damned soul trapped in his own self-pity and regret.

I'm sure all the people that love John would hate this. But, I love John as much as anyone, and personally, I just do NOT want to see the guy happy! Could be aspects of my own subconcious rubbing off on my alter-ego of John Constantine.

Oh, and on a seperate note, Zed and Merc bore me. I don't want to see the Freedom Mob again! Sorry Jamie.....

Say in five or ten years time when Hollywood hasn't helped sales and the Vertigo imprint is ending, Hellblazer has been cancelled. I say let Constantine live on to make guest shots in other DC titles. He could return to that figure of mystery albeit somewhat aged. It could be each person's guess on how he's spent the rest of his life.

I didn't say that it would be a good idea, did I?

No, it'd have to be a completely different comic, and I can't see it running for long before the novelty wears off.

Besides, it's already been done.

One word: "Inferno"

I wouldn't try to continue Hellblazer without John Constantine - if you're killing him off then end the title and use his death to spin-off a new book.

Gemma would need a lot of work to make her an interesting titular character though.

Being dead would be far to easy an out for Constantine. He's got to see this through, no matter how hard it becomes. He's the kind of guy that cleans up his own messes.

Fascinating idea. However, I think John can't die. If there's ever a Ragnarok in which the whole DC universe ends, Constantine would simply have to be there.

I could see John transcending his humanity and becoming some kind of immortal trickster spirit, though. Maybe he'd become the next Phantom Stranger...

I could see John transcending his humanity and becoming some kind of immortal trickster spirit, though. Maybe he'd become the next Phantom Stranger...

Sort of like what Neil Gaiman hinted as a possible future for John in part 4 of the original Books of Magic mini?

Yeah, John's personality was the one that domninatyed the archetype of the fool/jester/trickster

Guest Guest

I don't believe you guys're talking about killing Constantine :(

I would be absolutely devastated if they did so. I'm hoping Hellblazer has at least another 10 years in it before anyone even THINKS of killing him off.

And Gemma constantine no way.......after John it would be like Lucien replacing Morpheus in Sandman after he died.

this is a fan site, lets everyone be more optimistic, at least 10 years more of Constantine running around London....on earth is where Hellblazer works and with everyone's fave magus. I will be angry with Carey forever if he offs Constantine.

Guest I think most of us would prefer for Conjob to live a long and basically wretched life, both in story and as the Hellblazer series. That said, if given the choice between John meeting an appropriate end, or seeing the series linger for years with a repetative nowhere storyline, I'd rather see him dead. Hell, I think John would probably agree with me.

At the moment we're very lucky. Carey's writing has been, in my opinion, superb and the stories are still going somewhere interesting. I want the Hellblazer series to continue for as long as it remains fresh and surprising, I don't like to see something I love staggering around half dead.

I could see John transcending his humanity and becoming some kind of immortal trickster spirit, though.

I like that - could see him as a more down-to-earth member of the Endless.

Son of God: "You don't know what you have done--"

John: "Yes I do. I've got this great threat worked out, see? It goes like this: I know it's going to sting for a while--the devil will have his due--but I can wait, see? I'm a stubborn, patient little bastard when I want to be. We both know I can outmaneuver that silly sod with half my brain tied behind my back. Five hundred years tops before I'm running the show. Imagine a sod like me let loose on god's pretty little creation, armed with reinforcements, all of them organized, for a change. Well, it'd be a right bloody mess, wouldn't it?..." (Issue 128, page 15)

John clearly plans on living well after death... And in this issue there is also a multi-interpretable event that I'd be curious to know your opinions on... On page 16, does the Lord of Hosts clear John of his sold-my-soul-to-the-devil-ness? Or does the First still own him, as many people claim?