JohnMcMahon

And where is the Batman ?

I checked out that Batman Year 100 at the shop. Not realy impressed, the art kind of turn me off. But then I seem to have this reaction to Paul Pope's art. At first glance I don't care for it, but then I read the story and take it all in and I like it. Maybe I should actually read the damn thing?

I checked out that Batman Year 100 at the shop. Not realy impressed, the art kind of turn me off. But then I seem to have this reaction to Paul Pope's art. At first glance I don't care for it, but then I read the story and take it all in and I like it. Maybe I should actually read the damn thing?

yep! it took me a while to get into Pope's art style as well, but now I'd rate as one of the best storytellers in the comics field.

Ready the Bat-Bombs!!! Launch the Bat-Missles!!! Prep the Bat-Tank!!!

:lol:

But seriously, this sounds like the worst piece of shit idea from Frank Miller ever, agree? Is he a raving jingoist generally?

at the beginning of the punisher max line, the government wanted frank to fight al-qaeda, an offer which he refused. frank fights a war on crime, not a war on terror. batman fights for a similar cause, and will be fighting al-qaeda because they 'attacked gotham city'. this somehow makes it personal for bats and he needs to kick ass and win (batman always wins) and that would be nice if people didn't have to hear "war on terror" every fucking day over here. frank miller is trying to show how awesome superheroes can truly be, in a "what would batman do?" kind of way. i'll admit that i'm a huge frank miller fan, but if he does this in a racist or ultranationalist way, i'll be very dissapointed. could be terrible, could be great. we'll see.

sorry long post.

Those WOT pages looks incredible - he's been working on this for years though so I wonder if they're from before he hit the shit period he's currently wallowing in. Batman smacking Al-Qaeda around for 200 pages could be good for a laugh.

As for you Shawn, Pope's art is drop dead gorgeous so you are clearly stark raving mad.

Ready the Bat-Bombs!!! Launch the Bat-Missles!!! Prep the Bat-Tank!!!

:lol:

But seriously, this sounds like the worst piece of shit idea from Frank Miller ever, agree? Is he a raving jingoist generally?

Reading Dark Knight Returns, that wouldnt be my first general impression of him...

If it was being written by the Frank Miller of 10-20 years ago, I'd be looking forward to this enormously, to be honest, in anticipation of a piece of broad-but-witty satire on both sides of the pro-/anti-war debate. Since he seems to be going out of his way to insist that this isn't what we're going to get, though, coupled with the distinct swing to the right which Miller's politics seem to have taken post 9/11, I suspect it's going to be either offensive, laughable, or both. Shame, really, 'cos what little I've seen of the art looks fucking gorgeous, better than anything else Miller's drawn in years.

There's a more detailed interview with Miller on this (among other things) over at Newsarama, here. Pay particular attention to the way he's an entertaining, thoughtful and intelligent interviewee right up to the very moment the subject of this book comes up, at which point he instantly transforms into a total fucking asshat.

Now that Andy Kubert's been confirmed as the artist for Grant Morrison's Batman, they've released a couple of preview-type images, showing the sort of look which he'll presumably be using on the series:

andykubert.jpg

BMCv655.jpg

More details found here. Me, I like - I was sceptical about the choice of Kubert at first, but these look good.

Dude.

Duuuuude.

Sweeeeet :D

Seriously, those look cool as.

Obviously it's hard to get a feel for how the actual pages of the comic will look from pin-up art like this, but if these are indicative of the general tone of the art in the book, I'll be a very happy camper indeed. There's a nice Neal-Adams-via-Frank-Miller vibe to these pieces, which appeals strongly to me.

I am more looking forward to Dini's Tect comics. Anybody who isnt, Is not a comic fan and needs to slam a car door on their head. Dini is the man when it comes to writing stuff like that. JLU. JL. Superman: The Animated Series. Batman: The Animated Series. Batman Beyond. All top knotch cartoons.

This is true - he's also responsible for some of the best Batman comics of the past decade (Mad Love, in particular, is close to perfect). I'm still marginally more excited by the Morrison book, though, simply because, on current form, Morrison's the best writer of superhero comics we've got, by a huge margin.

That art looks great....I'm sold.

Finally got around to cracking open Batman: Year 100. While I'm not a big Paul pope fan, this is amazing. Excellent rendition of the character with his makeshift outfit. Very cleverly written. Can't wait to see the rest.

This is a bit tangential, I know, but it just struck me when I recently read Frank Miller's excellent Daredevil-story "Born again". Recently, we've had some discussion elsewhere on the board about Mel Gibson, and how torture, symbolic death and rebirth etc. seem to be recurring themes for him. Well, I say the same thing goes for Miller. He seems to have a penchant for writing about troubled male protagonists subjected to heavy torture, yet persevering and rising again. I've found this in his Daredevil, his Wolverine, and his Batman.

Anyone agree/disagree?

(And what would then happen if Gibson and Miller ever met and joined forces? :D )

I think those are definitely among the themes to which Miller returns time and again in his work (see also; all women are whores ;) ). It's hard to deny that there's a trace of ultra-macho, testosterone-addled fantasy running through much of Miller's best work (it's not generally something I'm offended by, although it gets boring when he indulges it to an excessive degree, such as in some of the later Sin City arcs), and the themes of self-sacrifice, torture and rebirth through violence are part and parcel of that.

Incidentally, if you're interested in that side of his work at all, I can't recommend 300 strongly enough - it's a historical piece, based during the Greco-Persian wars, centring on the Spartan king Leonides and the last-ditch defence he and 300 of his men mounted against the Persian invaders. Regardless of your take on the political subtext, it's one of the most profoundly affecting tales of pure, heroic self-sacrifice I can remember reading, and a gloriously homoerotic schlong-fest to boot. I can sort you out with a copy if you're curious.

I've flipped through it in the store, and it's interesting, but it didn't peak my curiosity enough to fork out the exorbitant price... I'd happily borrow it though.

Now I gotta go to hollywood and sell my idea of a movie scripted by Frank Miller, directed by Tarantino and starring Gibson. :D

a movie scripted by Frank Miller, directed by Tarantino and starring Gibson. :D

Ow. You made my mind hurt :wacko:

I've flipped through it in the store, and it's interesting, but it didn't peak my curiosity enough to fork out the exorbitant price... I'd happily borrow it though.

Now I gotta go to hollywood and sell my idea of a movie scripted by Frank Miller, directed by Tarantino and starring Gibson. :D

How many testicles can one movie have?

....said the guy who's screen name is TestosteRohne...:lol:

Admit it, you'd all watch it!