JohnMcMahon

And where is the Batman ?

Just read Detective 820. Liked the storytelling. Great art too, though I could've done without all the crotch shots of B&R. (Mind you, the cover is one big in-your-face crotch shot, so why was I surprised?)

Why, then, did I think it was all forgettable crapola?

Haven't been following, but I gather this takes place after another round of changes to the continuity or universe or whatever. Aren't they supposed to improve things when they do that? Is Robin's new costume, all-red with vintage 1930s black dickstickers on the outside, a step forward or backward? The Thomas Wayne Batman is drawn with a sculpted mask that looks impressive, but the real Batman still has a mask that looks like it's tattooed onto his shaved head. The bright yellow utility belt is still camp, and so is the Batmobile with a big bat head on it for fuck's s*ke. And I don't care for the pseudo-deco logo, but that's just a quibble.

There's nothing left to do with the Scarecrow; it's all been done before, again and again, including this issue's approach. They killed Scarface and kept the friggin' Scarecrow... give me strength.

I liked the dynamic between Batman and Robin in the car, but that took one and a half pages. Big woop.

In the Jason Bard thingy, Bard looks like a male model, and the move he makes with the cane is plain stupid comic book nonsense. I can't quite tell what's happening in the rest of the fight, but then, neither can the colourist.

Most of the book is fight scenes. Is this how far Batman comics have come?

Just read Detective 820. Liked the storytelling. Great art too, though I could've done without all the crotch shots of B&R.

- Is Robin's new costume, all-red with vintage 1930s black dickstickers on the outside, a step forward or backward?

-The Thomas Wayne Batman is drawn with a sculpted mask that looks impressive, but the real Batman still has a mask that looks like it's tattooed onto his shaved head.

-The bright yellow utility belt is still camp, and so is the Batmobile with a big bat head on it for fuck's s*ke.

-And I don't care for the pseudo-deco logo, but that's just a quibble.

-In the Jason Bard thingy, Bard looks like a male model,

For all our readers, if you liked this post, be sure to check out Jason T's regular fashion column in Vanity Fair.

:happy:

What do you think Batman has planned for Tim's future?

He will teach Tim the "five point palm-exploding heart technique." :)

Or adoption. Isn't Dick Grayson the legally adopted son of Bruce Wayne also?

The whole fight with Scarecrow and how Bats and Robin handled the fear gas and dealing with their inner fears was awesome. And Tim saying he had nothing left to be afraid of, due to his father and best friend being murdered, was moving.

I thought it interesting that when Tim imagined seeing Superboy Prime, he says, "But Conner died taking you with him. You're dead. And I'm not!" So is this a writer mistake since Superboy Prime is alive and imprisoned at the end of Infinite Crisis? Or does Tim not know he is imprisoned and alive? Maybe Batman didn't tell him?

Most of the book is fight scenes. Is this how far Batman comics have come?

Hmm...not sure I'm with you on this. This arc, as a whole, has been moving rather too slowly (redeemed by generally excellent characterisation, though), but I liked the way Robinson managed, in this issue, to combine character scenes, exposition and action through the old-fashioned but disappointingly under-used dynamic of simply having the characters talk while fighting. Normally, we'd get three separate scenes, one featuring Batman talking to Jim Gordon, the other being the exciting fight against the Scarecrow, followed by a post-match breakdown wherein Batman and Robin discuss the tactical decisions they made, and what lessons could be learned from it. Here, the three are combined into a single sequence, in classic Spider-Man-monologuing-about-his-personal-life-while-beating-up-the-Green-Goblin style, and I liked it.

The art is unremarkable but perfectly acceptable, and Robinson clearly has a fine grasp of the Batman supporting characters, including over-used villains like Scarecrow (the way Batman & Robin defeated him here was something I've honestly never seen before in a Batman comic, which is always a pleasant surprise - it seems so obvious, but as far as I'm aware, this was the first time they've done it this way). This arc is clearly more about re-establishing the core values of the Batman-verse for subsequent writers to make the most of, but it's doing that so well that I really can't bring myself to complain that the story itself is a bit thin.

I've liked the current Detective Comics logo since it was first introduced, too, and the new Robin costume is growing on me.

Scarecrow (the way Batman & Robin defeated him here was something I've honestly never seen before in a Batman comic, which is always a pleasant surprise - it seems so obvious, but as far as I'm aware, this was the first time they've done it this way

That's what I was raving about.

They simply just faced the fear, and the writers didn't make a big song and dance about it either.

The understatement really helped.

Again, here's your healthier Batman and Robin, it must be a tightrope to write, but Robinson's pulling it off.

The scene was beatifully expedient and with great insights into the psyche of Batman and seperately, that of Robin's, and yet still working as the collective psyche of the duo Batman and Robin.

All this in the opening pages of the issue.

Great stuff.

It's got to be something bigger than adoption, I believe that they have already done that one, as you've said with Dick.

Even if it is just adopton, I'm looking forward to the way Robinson will do it, and if Tim will say no?

... I liked the way Robinson managed, in this issue, to combine character scenes, exposition and action through the old-fashioned but disappointingly under-used dynamic of simply having the characters talk while fighting. ... classic Spider-Man-monologuing-about-his-personal-life-while-beating-up-the-Green-Goblin style...

You speak of that like it's an achievement. To me it's a reversion to the sort of lazy funnybook shorthand that made the medium a byword for bad writing.

Most of the book is fight scenes with characters talking, like "classic" 1960s and 1970s fight scenes. Is this how far Batman comics have come? :)

They simply just faced the fear, and the writers didn't make a big song and dance about it either.

Probably because Robinson knew it was nothing new. :tongue:

There are only two ways Batman deals with the Scarecrow — wearing nose plugs, or inhaling the gas and working through the fear. I think the writers toss a coin.

Don't get me wrong, I can see how this issue might have been fun, and it's good that y'all enjoyed it; but it seemed to me that what was supposed to be a step forward was instead a step backward.

What do you think Batman has planned for Tim's future?

He will teach Tim the "five point palm-exploding heart technique." :)

Or adoption. Isn't Dick Grayson the legally adopted son of Bruce Wayne also?

Yep, Bruce adopted Jason Todd first then Dick much later.

Bruce already offered to adopt Tim in Willingham's Robin but Tim declined.

When was batman made a THE by the way?

Are we to have a The Spider-man or The Mick, hmmm i like that....

How about The x-men ( damn thats right anyway)

I'd guess sometime in the later 80s/early 90s, when Batman stopped being the chummy vigilate and became a scary nutcase.

Naah, he's been "the Batman" since at least the mid- to late-'60s.

Naah, he's been "the Batman" since at least the mid- to late-'60s.

Funny i really had never noticed a sign saying The batman untill we got a new range of figures at work a fair few month back.

His name is The Batman! No Batman or Bat-Man, dammit! Show some respect for this proud, brave man who has saved our lives so many times!

:lol:

His name is The Batman! No Batman or Bat-Man, dammit! Show some respect for this proud, brave man who has saved our lives so many times!

With no actual bat powers.....

But he did see a bat just after his parents were killed right, so what would happen if he had seen a hooker instead of a bat.

With no actual bat powers.....

But he did see a bat just after his parents were killed right, so what would happen if he had seen a hooker instead of a bat.

Pimp Man, with the backhand of justice.

I can't believe I'm wasting a post on this. But here it is.

In Detective #27, it was consistently rendered as

THE "BAT-MAN"

... including the quotation marks. We should all complain to DC that the logo should read THE "BAT-MAN". :icon_rolleyes:

My mate Ty saw a Batman comic at my place a few weeks ago and asked, "Batman... isn't that the bloke that flogs off in public?" :biggrin: Gold.

Just finished reading the latest issue of Batman and I quite honestly dunno what to think of the ending. I loved the bit with Tim, but the reveal as to who was behind all the "mystery" just came out outta nowhere. I mean... I never heard of him in my life!!!

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought that. I was afraid i'd missed an issue of 'tec or something that gave this guys backstory.

From what I do understand, he's in a story already, and Arkham Asylum one, I think it's called In Hell or something like that. Maybe Mark can inform us on this being with much detail...

I suspect I'm more likely to be able to help than anyone else around here (I've read far too many Batman comics, really), but I won't be getting the comic until tomorrow, so DON'T TELL ME THE NAME BEFORE THEN.

Just finished reading the latest issue of Batman and I quite honestly dunno what to think of the ending. I loved the bit with Tim, but the reveal as to who was behind all the "mystery" just came out outta nowhere. I mean... I never heard of him in my life!!!

Same here. The reveal of the guy behind it all made me go "huh, where'd he come from?" Once Batman connected all the dots it made sense, but it felt kind of shoe horned in at the last minute.

I was expecting what would happen with Tim and still enjoyed it. It was very touching. I definetly want to see what will happen next. Morrison, in his story arc, will have some fun with it I am sure.

I am very familer with this guy but will not say anything until Mark has read it.

The Bruce and Tim stuff was very nice but why did Bruce give Tim Dick's room? The man lives in a mansion! Can't they have a room each?