JohnMcMahon

And where is the Batman ?

I am very familer with this guy but will not say anything until Mark has read it.

The Bruce and Tim stuff was very nice but why did Bruce give Tim Dick's room? The man lives in a mansion! Can't they have a room each?

I don't think it's being used right now. I got the impression that Bats hopes it will provide inspiration for Tim.

Mark, when you get the issue can you tell us who the person was? I couldn't care less about the story, but I'm intrigued to know if I recognise this person...

You do. It's

The Great White Shark, Warren White - the lead character from Dan Slott/Ryan Sook's Arkham Asylum: Living Hell miniseries, which you actually sent me a copy of a year or two back.

For those who haven't read that series - White was an investor who was caught out committing acts of massive fraud, costing a lot of people their savings. At his trial, he (successfully) pled insanity - so the judge, not being sympathetic to his cause, called the bluff and sent him to Arkham. At first he was a weak, frightened little fella, but over the course of the series his terrible experiences toughened him up, and by the final issue he'd been hideously scarred and deformed by a bit of good old-fashioned torture, and set himself up as a reasonably powerful figure within the criminal hierarchy of the asylum. It's not a bad series, to be honest - well worth reading.

It's certainly an incredibly weird conclusion to a big, high-profile arc which is supposedly setting the stage for the next few years of Batman comics. I actually rather liked the miniseries the character originally appeared in, but it wasn't a particularly widely-read one, so far as I'm aware (apparently it wasn't technically even in continuity, due to certain references within the book to aspects of the Bat-mythos which no longer existed at the time, but for those who care about that sort of thing, Infinite Crisis will have sorted it out), and the character hasn't appeared anywhere else since. I'd imagine a lot of people read that issue and thought "huh? Who he?"

Other than the totally random reveal, I really enjoyed that issue, and indeed, the arc as a whole. The slightly disjointed narrative worked well without being intrusive or pretentious - it just made a very straightforward story slightly more interesting to read. Robinson's dialogue was a bit florid and unconvincing at times throughout the arc, but the basic story was solid enough, and after a slow start it managed to throw in a healthy amount of spetacular action, detective work, interactions with the well-rounded supporting cast, and even some brooding. All I could ask for in a Batman story, really, especially a supposedly tone-setting one. That's given Morrison and Dini a pretty good version of the Bat-Universe to work in, I'd say, and I'm looking forward enormously to seeing what they do with it.

Sorry to be an ass about the identity thing earlier - I just get a bit pissy about spoilers sometimes.

Is Batman: Gotham County Line worth a read? I'm interested in the Scott Hampton art, but I'll give it a miss if the story's duff.

I was at the shop picking up All-Star Superman #5 (which I then put down and decided to coughdownloadcough instead) when my eye caught a gigantic Showcase Presents Batman. EEeep! I bought it based on seeing the spine of the book alone, remembering how much I loved the Superman Showcase.

The stories in the Batman book are from about 5 years after the Superman stories were, but they are still awesome. It was 1964 and the editors at DC wanted a fresh, new-look Batman (ReBoot Batman? Who does that?) and the results were the campy, goofy Batman that we all know and love from the TV series. I read all of the dialouge in the voices of the actors from the show (Actually I try to read every Batman story I have with Adam West's voice in my head at least once) and it comes off perfectly. 36 stories of awesome fun. It was a bit pricier than the Superman Showcase, but it still averages about fifty cents a story.

Mark, had you heard of/do you already own this? I know you liked the Supes Showcase.

I've been waiting for this to come out! I heard about it a few months ago.

The second installment of the Batman Chronicles, collecting all the Golden Age apperances of Batman in chronological order should be out now too.

Why in the hell....?

Amazon has the book listed as being released August 30th. But, it says "This book has not been released. You may pre-order the item now."

I checked Border's and they have the book listed as not yet available too.

What?!

They'v got another one. But what sucks is that DC is only going to release these every year or so. So by the time you get up to Batman 200 or Detective Comics 345.. You will be long past dead..

I know! These Batman Chronicle books are such a stupid idea with the way they're releasing them!

At least DC got smart enough to figure out that they could release the Silver Age stories in the Showcase format and just do the Golden Age Batman stories in the Chronicles.

I mean not everybody is going to want to get the back issues (which are more then any of us can afford). Just that it would be nice to see how Batman evolved over the years.

Damn straight! I think it's an awesome idea for DC!

It was an awesome idea for Marvel with their Essential line, and I think it's even more important for DC to do similar.

It's completely impossible unless you're rich to complete a Batman & Detective Comics collection, and the only way to read some of the Golden Age stories was those hugely overpriced hardcovers DC used to release.

DC's comic go all the way back to the 1930s.

This is the first time I've ever been able to read any of the Golden Age or Silver Age Batman stories.

DC really needs to get their shit together with regard to collections.

I want my Hitman dammit!