JohnMcMahon

The Ex-Machina Thread *Big Spoilers*

This is the thread where we talk about quite probably the best new ongoing series released in 2004, Ex-Machina.

There will be big spoilers here, no tags will be employed unless someone is talking about future issues, those already published are fair game.

Seriously, if you haven't read the first issue then fuck off, don't ruin the surprise for yourself.

Right then, let's get down to it.....

What was the Great Machine doing that kept him from stopping the first plane ?

Was his delay in someway related to the evidence (of what!) that the Republican chap tried to blackmail him with ?

Is Mayor Hundred a dangerous lunatic ? His cold, caluclated threat to turn off his would-be blackmailers pace-maker ? His flashbacks in the basement ? His physically angry reaction to the his presumed betrayl by Kremlin ?

Speaking of those flashbacks, what happened to his mother ?

Who was Jack Phearson ? Should that be a who is ?

I have one right back at you:

Considering that Wylie warned Hundred that there was no point in entering the mayoral race, less than three months prior to September 11, 2001 did Hundred suit up in large part, because doing so would win him the election and gain him a sustained period of grace in office?

I don’t think that there’s any doubt whatsoever that he’s cold & calculating is there?

No questions at present, but since I'm popping back into the forum for the first time in a while, I just thought I'd let JMc know that I found those first 5 issues of Ex-Machina eventually, at Mega City in Camden. Which is nice. Read them that evening...you were right, this is magic stuff. Thanks for the heads-up, and I agree, the art is gorgeous.

I don't think it's going out on too precarious a limb to suspect that Jack Pherson should still be referred to in the present tense, either. I'm looking forward to where Vaughan plans to take this title enormously.

This is the thread where we talk about quite probably the best new ongoing series released in 2004, Ex-Machina.

There will be big spoilers here, no tags will be employed unless someone is talking about future issues, those already published are fair game.

Seriously, if you haven't read the first issue then fuck off, don't ruin the surprise for yourself.

Right then, let's get down to it.....

What was the Great Machine doing that kept him from stopping the first plane ?

Was his delay in someway related to the evidence (of what!) that the Republican chap tried to blackmail him with ?

Is Mayor Hundred a dangerous lunatic ?  His cold, caluclated threat to turn off his would-be blackmailers pace-maker ?  His flashbacks in the basement ?  His physically angry reaction to the his presumed betrayl by Kremlin ?

Speaking of those flashbacks, what happened to his mother ?

Who was Jack Phearson ?  Should that be a who is ?

whoa, john, those are some cool questions! I am going to have to read them again, see if some of this stuff stands out more, because the questions youve asked make it sound so much more subversive and immersive :)

Gordon, good question man, and not too far out of left field - for no reason whatsoever though my gut tells me that the Great Machine was getting laid when he should've been en route to stop that first plane.

Mark, good to see you're still dropping in when circumstance allows, isn't that last page in issue one incredible ?

Meaner, I read the first five issues the night before I opened the thread. Was a little surprised at how many plot points where opened in im myself!

It was built up such that I knew it was going to be related to September 11th, 2001 and I was sure that he'd managed to save both towers...it was a risky move by the creative team but one that firmly established the series as something with the potential to become one of the greats.

Each and every issue bears rereading - to pick a plot point at random, the painter lass who turns into super-ninja in the last issue mentions her tae-boe lessons in the issue before.

Yeah, Brian K Vaughan is fast becoming one of my favourite comic scribes with this and Y: The Last Man. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing him do a run on Hellblazer, he can do the whole mundane everyday dialogue well, and some of his plot twists fuck you up like percocet.

It was built up such that I knew it was going to be related to September 11th, 2001 and I was sure that he'd managed to save both towers...it was a risky move by the creative team but one that firmly established the series as something with the potential to become one of the greats.

Each and every issue bears rereading - to pick a plot point at random, the painter lass who turns into super-ninja in the last issue mentions her tae-boe lessons in the issue before.

your experience in the world of comics clearly shines over my newbieness :D I had no idea the september 11th twist was coming :) Right, off to bed to read the rest of my weeks haul and ex machina 1-5 i think :D

haha John :D Great stuff no? I will look forward to seeing the results of this political saga :D

Does anyone else think the green tag found by the Miners mean we could be in for another great machine? Or maybe a nemesis?

Do you think Hundred's vow to 'do anything' for NYC firefighters stems directly from their actions on September 11th or moreso from his own ? I'm so into this series right now that I'm in danger of reading far too much into every little nuance of the cast!

The verbal confrontation between Mitchell and his right-hand man on the roof was straight out of the very best of the West Wing - when an argument over School Vouchers is made both tense and exciting, you know the writer is doing something right.

I'm thinking the green tag points towards the subway creature being a botched NSA job.

CBR have a good article on Ex-Machina that was put together before the first issue came out. It includes photo-references used for some of the main characters -

ref_bradbury.jpg

ref_kremlin.jpg

ref_mitch.jpg

Everyone needs to go here and follow the instructions.

*starts the looooong downloading process*

Great interview you dug up there John, I am in absolute awe of all those sketches.

Hello Jaw

say hello to floor.

Absolutely amazing. And well the inker and colorist have truly made them into a unique and amazing comic book art. But somehow It didnt occure to me just how amzing the drawing was from tony harris to begin with. :blink:

Oh and I'm glad they made Hundred a little more edgy than that guy :happy:

wow thats a really cool little package! Should I be surprised that the art was so heavily photo referenced? Because I actually found that a little dissapointing. I mean, its still awesome, but...ultimately a little sad to see.

I haven't checked the link yet (I'll be able to do it over a broadband connection when I'm in Oslo this Christmas), but I'm not surprised to hear that the art is heavily photo-sourced. It looks like it - gorgeous, but occasionally a little stiff.

I haven't checked the link yet (I'll be able to do it over a broadband connection when I'm in Oslo this Christmas), but I'm not surprised to hear that the art is heavily photo-sourced. It looks like it - gorgeous, but occasionally a little stiff.

were talking like they have entire spreads with characters photoed how Tony Harris wants them, then sketches almost identical how they end up in the book.

You should look into how Tim Bradstreet does the Hellblazer covers. Don't knock it, it works. :)

Oh I know his work, and know it well, I think its definitely some of the best in the business, I love it! But Tim Bradstreets style is such that I know it is photo referenced, thats part of the look he achieves. Where in this case I was under the assumption Tony Harris was just drawing straight, so it came as somewhat of a surprise. And a little (only a little) of the wonder was lost.

I have issue #5 and a previous one to that (#2, #3 or #4), but haven't even looked at #6. The two issues that I've read haven't excited me much. If I was to read one more issue to give this title a final chance, which should it be?