JohnMcMahon

The Ex-Machina Thread *Big Spoilers*

I have #6. I'm waiting for the trade to come out. Or i'll look around ebay for them next month.

Great thread, John. I'd go further and say it is THE best ongoing series of 2004, not just amongst the new crop. One of the best things about Vaughn's work is that there is sometimes just a really down to earth answers to the questions he poses, and it makes the extra-ordinary things seem even more effective.

Great ideas from all you guys, it's really opening my eyes to some of the possibilites, but I'll give you my thoughts on John's questions:

What was the Great Machine doing that kept him from stopping the first plane ?

I just presumed he wasn't doing his Great Machine thing at that moment, and got to work when he found out about the first plane. Unless he was "on patrol" and saw the first plane when it came in he wouldn't have been in a position to deal with it.

Was his delay in someway related to the evidence (of what!) that the Republican chap tried to blackmail him with ?

I think the republican chap was going to blackmail him with the REAL reason he got into power. He says to a doubting Dave, when he announces he's going to run for office, to trust him, and that "my power is my voice". Did he TELL the voting machines to cast a vote for him?

Is Mayor Hundred a dangerous lunatic ? His cold, caluclated threat to turn off his would-be blackmailers pace-maker ? His flashbacks in the basement ? His physically angry reaction to the his presumed betrayl by Kremlin ?

I think the opening scenes of #1 point to a dark side of Hundred, maybe he's got a bit ruthless, got in over his head, and it's all turned to shit?

Speaking of those flashbacks, what happened to his mother ?

Good question. Maybe something, maybe nothing. I love this book!

Who was Jack Phearson ? Should that be a who is ?

Dunno, but I look forward to finding out.

And with #6, I have no idea where this story is going, but I'm going along.

Dunno, I just assumed they used an electronic or mechanical process, and they'd therefore be susceptible to his powers.

Wow, what a preview! And i love the way he can sense any machinery that is nearby!

And is it me, or is the coloring getting better with each issue?

Issue seven spoilers follow....

"The Beast Of The Subway" story takes a totally unexpected turn as it appears to be some kind of deadly meme that's populating its way through the city - and has now found its way above ground.

What about Mayor Hundred's reaction to the suggestion that people would start to question his sexuality should he officiate at the gay wedding ? Running out to grab the first woman you could think of doesn't exactly paint him as someone who's overly confident in himself. I'm half thinking that the alien tech has killed his sex drive.

Then there's the past...2/3 of the city hadn't heard of Hundred a month before the election and then he was forced into hiding....

oh, yes, another good issue. the art didn't seem to be up to par on EVERY page, but the story was compelling. I'm still wondering if those germans that attacked him are that easily explained - sounds a bit like a prelude to Syndicate Wars... :)

some minor niggles - those two lesbians seemed too... well - Eill and Grace for me, a bit cliche...

on the plus side - good to see that Mayor Hundred's staff doesn't consist entirely out of handsome people.

but they called each other "bitch" and "dude", and held hands at one point (well, one was drgging the other to hurry, but at the moment she stabed herself with a pen, the other said : "hey, gimme back my pen you little..." - and i have a nagging thought the next word would be a playfully said "[over-used word]"...)

also - they looked both far too young to be a mother/daughter, and besides, they looked like your typical cliche lez couple - a black-clad bussisnesslike butch artsy intellectual girl, and a delirium-haired ditzy younger flower-child...

visual evidence to follow, and we'll let the other decide... :p

<<<EDIT>>>

also - a lezbian suicide could somehow, loosely, be tied into the whole gay marriage subplot, somehow?

bitchy0sq.jpg

here we go - maybe it's just my overly filthy imagination, but the look on the "butch's" face doesn't seem too "matey" or "motherly"...

i thought the point was to show a hip trendy lez couple, without having to resort to girl on girl action...

It occurred to me that they were a couple, and they were so horribly contrived that they *had* to be based on someone the writer and/or artist knows.

It occurred to me that they were a couple, and they were so horribly contrived that they *had* to be based on someone the writer and/or artist knows.

using lesbians as cannon fodder in comics makes little baby Gaiman cry!

and since the ELder Brown agrees with me, i pronounce them bitch und butch!

I'll hopefully be caught up with the series next month. When i pick up the Trade.. Sense I jumped on the title at like #6

Agreed about a few of the niggles with this issue, but the positive still vastly outweighs the negative for me. The pacing of the scene building up to the 'pen-in-the face!' panel was beautifully handled, and call me odd, but I rather enjoyed Hundred's decision to ask the journalist out as a de facto 'beard'. Yet again, it highlights the disparity between his apparently high-minded idealism and his pragmatism - whether this is just him being a politician, or if it plays into revelations about his character further down the line, it makes him a much more interesting and human figure.

Well Vaughn hanst let me down sense Y the last man. Thought I need #18 and #26..

Good issue, it needs a re-read seeing as I read it late, but it was good all the same, got some intriguing things happening. I mean for one, this symbol was graphic enough to set the girl foaming at the mouth and stab herself in the eye! This symbol means business!

I couldn't help being reminded of this. Just a little, but still...

GoonPic1.jpg

The Goon. Written by Eric Powell, published by Dark Horse. It's feckin' aces.

Well, better late than never. Issue #8 of Ex Machina came out today, and it's pretty darn good. Full comments tomorrow, 'cos I'm about to go home, but first impressions:

-Is the journalist woman Mitch is now dating to be trusted?

-Moore's art seemed a little more 'cartoony' and less detailed this month, but that may just have been me. Anyone else, who's got the last few issues to hand? Care to compare for those of us whose copies of #1-#7 are in Norway?

-More pre-9/11 backstory makes Mark a happy boy. Now it turns out there was a primary on that date. Will Vaughan have the nerve to show Hundred's actions on 9/11 as less than 100% altruistic? Here's hoping...

More thoughts tomorrow, when I've read the issue properly. I'm still loving this comic so far, though.