JohnMcMahon

The Ex-Machina Thread *Big Spoilers*

... 18 issues in, and now it's bothering me. :mad:

On a lighter note, do the 2 specials need to be read before or after any particular issue/s?

Naah, they can pretty much slot in anywhere after the first dozen issues or so, if I recall correctly.

The third issue (#23) is out.

I don't care much for Tony's new colouring style. It's obviously accomplished, but not suited to this type of comic. The previous clean, slick colouring style worked better for me.

The third issue (#23) is out.

I don't care much for Tony's new colouring style. It's obviously accomplished, but not suited to this type of comic. The previous clean, slick colouring style worked better for me.

Spider J, you need to get me those two issues, plus the second and third Animal Man trades. Two issues behind!

yea i know i have a big stack for you there brother. my work schedule changed so i havent been home in 3 weeks! im going this weekend cuz we're on mon-fri now, so ill have you all filled in on this amazing book. punisher and some others too....

yea i know i have a big stack for you there brother. my work schedule changed so i havent been home in 3 weeks! im going this weekend cuz we're on mon-fri now, so ill have you all filled in on this amazing book. punisher and some others too....

You narrowly avoided a big can of whup-ass

Spider J, you should find the old thread where Bradstreet reveals that he's painted a Hellblazer cover with all these cats names on it. Good reading.

Latest issue of this is the best in some time, a done-in-one story focusing on Hundred's bodyguard, Bradbury. The art is gorgeous, of course, and Harris gets plenty of different things to mess with here - from the Iraq war to strip clubs to a snippet of a superhero scrap. Lurved the last page, top 'fuck yeah' character moment I thought.

Looking at the series as a whole, I've taken it out three times now since it started and read from start to finish and it defintetly works better in large chunks than month-to-month.

I thought it was a solid issue, but I was (as usual) frustrated by some minor-but-glaring inconsistencies in the art. Harris seems finally to have got his 'elaborate interpretative dance' choreography/body language under control, and some of the facial expressions were superbly well-done (Kremlin's cartoonish outrage at the notion of Mitchell going into politics was hilarious)...but then there are things like the fourth page of this issue, on which we get stuff like a father/son hug in which young Bradbury suddenly seems to loom over his father like some sort of mutant giant-child, or his father's bizarre thalidomide-arm in the subsequent panel. The colouring is still great, though, and that last page was, indeed, aces.

Latest issue of this is the best in some time, a done-in-one story focusing on Hundred's bodyguard, Bradbury. The art is gorgeous, of course, and Harris gets plenty of different things to mess with here - from the Iraq war to strip clubs to a snippet of a superhero scrap. Lurved the last page, top 'fuck yeah' character moment I thought.

Looking at the series as a whole, I've taken it out three times now since it started and read from start to finish and it defintetly works better in large chunks than month-to-month.

Ditto to all that. I think Ex Machina works better in chunks because each issue is so decompressed and bite-sized you have to join a few together to get something meaningful; but it's still bloody well done. Loved issue 25.

I thought it was a solid issue, but I was (as usual) frustrated by some minor-but-glaring inconsistencies in the art. Harris seems finally to have got his 'elaborate interpretative dance' choreography/body language under control, ...

:huh: I know that's been a bugbear for you for some time now, but it's never even made it onto my radar. Stilted reference photos bother me in Sean Philips' art, yeah, but to me it's never been an issue with Tony Harris' art. And if anyone was gonna nitpick, it'd be me. :)

...but then there are things like the fourth page of this issue, on which we get stuff like a father/son hug in which young Bradbury suddenly seems to loom over his father like some sort of mutant giant-child, or his father's bizarre thalidomide-arm in the subsequent panel. ...

The hug takes place on the doorstep, and Bradbury is standing on a higher step than his father, who's hunched over to boot.

Good catch with the mini-arm, though, I hadn't spotted that. I wonder if Tony H ran out of reference and drew that panel freehand? (No pun intended.)

:huh: I know that's been a bugbear for you for some time now, but it's never even made it onto my radar. Stilted reference photos bother me in Sean Philips' art, yeah, but to me it's never been an issue with Tony Harris' art. And if anyone was gonna nitpick, it'd be me. :)

Heh - horses for courses, I guess. I know I'm one of relatively few people to have been seriously bugged by this, but it just leaps off the page at me with every new issue, which is why I keep going on about it (I'll try to stop, I promise). It's particularly frustrating because, 95% of the time, Harris' work on this title is superb.

The hug takes place on the doorstep, and Bradbury is standing on a higher step than his father, who's hunched over to boot.

I can tell that's the way the panel's intended to be seen, but for some reason it still looks really odd to my eyes. The body language from the ankles up, and the relative sizes of the two figures, just look all wrong to me. Given that, as I said above, it seems to be mainly just me seeing things this way, though, I'll cheerfully accept that it's quite probably a problem with my eyes rather than the comic itself.

Still a damn good issue of a generally-fine comic, either way.

Cor!

Two great issues back-to-back, nice to see this one getting its grove back.

Prediction : the chap in the diving suit is from the future, where Mayor Hundred managed to convince everyone to rebuild the second tower.

Yeah, I reckon you're right there.

I liked this issue too, but maybe not as much as you did. There was fuckall in it. Several pages only held 2 panels, and it's not because they needed big pictures or lots of speech balloons. Half of page 14 is taken up by Hundred saying hello to his Mum. :icon_rolleyes: Vaughan's having a laugh, surely?

The Thalidomide Arm returns on page 11, and the final panel of the issue will have Mark adopting a similar pose of horror. :biggrin:

I liked this issue too, but maybe not as much as you did. There was fuckall in it. Several pages only held 2 panels, and it's not because they needed big pictures or lots of speech balloons. Half of page 14 is taken up by Hundred saying hello to his Mum. :icon_rolleyes: Vaughan's having a laugh, surely?

That'll also serve for a review of issue 27. It averaged 2.3 panels per page. The art is gorgeous and the dialogue is professional, so Mr Vaughan has beaten formidable odds by successfully making it a padded underwritten pile of shite.

[in Yoda voice:] Dropped it is.

I'm really liking this book. Despite the decompression of the last story arc I feel like Ex Machina is finally getting somewhere.

I'm glad Zeller

wasn't from the future, as most people probably guessed, but was from an alternate Earth.

Time for some carnage.

Let me just blow the dust off this one.

Read the latest trade, Power Down, which as Trace revealed just over twelve months ago features a traveller from another dimension's Earth who warns Thirteen about...alien immigrants who want to fuck everything up.

Can't help but think this has the makings of a classic series, hopefully it'll come together when all's said and done as the release schedule is a killer.

So, anyway, this was brilliant. So many classic moments, the artwork never faltered, and the ending was appropriately as bleak as you'd always hope against all odds it wouldn't be.

Fave moment from the finale that sums up the series and its intent in a nutshell :

em50003.jpg

em50004.jpg

em50005.jpg

And one of the best single issues of all times :

i5urkl.jpg

2vrso5y.jpg

1hzgap.jpg

Ex Machina had the right amount of meta, humor and drama and it never underestimated the reader's intelligence. I'll miss it greatly. What else is BKV working on nowadays?

I reread the final trade recently and have to concur with Rogan. The ending of EM, to me really made me hate the way YtLM ended because Vaughan tried to make both of them dark and sad, but injected enough hope onto Y only to make its ending silly, whereas, the ending of Machina was perfect in its hopelessness. Being such a huge fan of Saga, I am concerned where he will take it, and knowing how Vaighan likes dark endings, I'm even more afraid of how Saga ends, because for once, I want the chracters to live happily ever after because I love reading them so much.