6. Jeph Loeb

7.Peter David

8. Erick Larsen

9. Warren Ellis

10. Neil Gaimen

Let the debate begin...

I hope those aren't in order....

So Jay what are your top 10?

Well, it would change from day to day, but here is who comes to mind...

Neil Gaiman

Alan Moore

Grant Morrison

Craig Thompson

Alex Robinson

J.M. Dematteis

Garff Ennis

James Robinson

Frank Miller

early Bendis

Wazza Ellis

Neil Gaiman (he gets 2 mentions)

That's 12, but i could go on

I have a hard time just picking ten, and it changes from day to day also.

Not really in order:

1.Neil Gaiman

2.Daniel Clowes

3.Chris Ware

4.Alan Moore

5.Grant Morrison

6.Peter Milligan

7.Jamie Delano-Always For His Hellblazer!

8.J.M. DeMatteis

9.Adrian Tomine

10.Harvey Pekar (toss up for the final name to make it on the list)

EDIT:And how do I have this Top 10 List without Steve Gerber?! Argh!

I've probably left off some of my favourites here who slipped my mind (see above now). And, today I have Pekar, but if I were to read Eisner tommorow, he'd have made the list. It's just so hard to pick ten, definitively!

My top 5 will always be on a Top Comic Writers list for me though!

I'd say:

Neil Gaiman

Warren Ellis

Grant Morrison

Greg Rucka

Mike Carey

Alan Moore

Brian K. Vaughun

Brian Azzarello (most of this coming from 100 Bullets)

Denny O'Neill

J.M. DeMatteis

Frank Miller

Garth Ennis

Alan Moore

Katsuhiro Otomo

Jamie Delano

Glenn Danzig (hahaha you guys are gonna kill me)

Grant Morrison

Jeph Loeb

Mike Carey

Howard Chaykin

I wanted you dead for saying Glenn Danzing, but then you were the only person to list Howard Chaykin, and he's a fellow Commie....so I'm going to let them cancel each other out! :p

Danzig is an asshole, but my love for his music carries over when I read his comics (I would probably think they were stupid if I didn't like his music).

But yeah Chaykin is badass.

Alan Moore

Neil Gaiman

Grant Morrison

Frank Miller

Warren Ellis

Garth Ennis - even tho he's slippin' lately

Those really are my only favorite writers. I could pick 4 more that I really like but they wouldn't be listed as favorites.

Peter Milligan

Steve Gerber

Pat Mills

Mike Carey

Jamie Delano

John Wagner

Howard Chaykin

Alan Moore

Marv Wolfman (purely for Tomb Of Dracula)

Jack Kirby

Neil Gaiman

Alan Moore

Grant Morrison

Warren Ellis

Garth Ennis

Mike Carey

Dave Sim

Jeff Smith

The others wouldnt be classified as favourites, but are rated highly - Frank Miller, Brian K Vaughan, Bill Willingham, Jamie Delano, Mike Carey, Joe Sacco. Probably missing a few.

Ahhhh! After reading this, I have to include Dave Sim, Howard Chaykin, and Katsuhiro Otomo!

can we do only writers? or also people who just do both text and art on their comics?

Given the number of votes Frank Miller and Howard Chaykin have had so far, there's no reason why not. hell, even Grant Morrison and Alan Moore went through a phase of illustrating their own scripts at one point.

(And I forgot to mention Jack Kirby. Arse.)

That's 12, but i could go on

Very good choices.

Peter Milligan

Steve Gerber

Pat Mills

Mike Carey

Jamie Delano

John Wagner

Howard Chaykin

Alan Moore

Marv Wolfman (purely for Tomb Of Dracula)

Neil Gaiman

I see Howard Chaykin on your list. What did you think of his version of the Shadow that he did in the late '80s. Oh and yeah sure writer/illustrators are perfectly exceptable.

can we do only writers? or also people who just do both text and art on their comics?

Given the number of votes Frank Miller and Howard Chaykin have had so far, there's no reason why not. hell, even Grant Morrison and Alan Moore went through a phase of illustrating their own scripts at one point.

(And I forgot to mention Jack Kirby. Arse.)

That's just what I was thinking - I wouldn't necessarily include him purely as a writer, but as an all-round creator, Kirby is up there just behind Moore and Morrison as one of my absolute, all-time favourites.

On which note...

Grant Morrison

Alan Moore

Jack Kirby

Will Eisner

Frank Miller

Dave Sim (for the first 150 or so issues of Cerebus, if nothing else)

Denny O'Neill (purely and simply as the best Batman writer ever)

Bill Waterson

René Goscinny

Harvey Pekar

Not necessarily the list I'd have chosen yesterday, or the one I'd choose tomorrow, but they're definitely ten creators who I'd happily defend to anyone as among the all-time greats.

That's just what I was thinking - I wouldn't necessarily include him purely as a writer, but as an all-round creator, Kirby is up there just behind Moore and Morrison as one of my absolute, all-time favourites.

On which note...

Grant Morrison

Alan Moore

Jack Kirby

Will Eisner

Frank Miller

Dave Sim (for the first 150 or so issues of Cerebus, if nothing else)

Denny O'Neill (purely and simply as the best Batman writer ever)

Los Bros Hernandez (single choice, because I can't choose between 'em)

Joe Sacco

Harvey Pekar

Not necessarily the list I'd have chosen yesterday, or the one I'd choose tomorrow, but they're definitely ten creators who I'd happily defend to anyone as among the all-time greats.

Man Pekar and Eisner. I am such a retard how could I forget them. Well anyways I agree with you O'Neil definitely "best Batman Writer ever." ("" items to be said in the Comic Book Guy voice from The Simpsons)

I see Howard Chaykin on your list. What did you think of his version of the Shadow that he did in the late '80s. Oh and yeah sure writer/illustrators are perfectly exceptable.

I liked it a lot: I think updating the character worked brilliantly in that, and it gave Helfer a bit of a headstart for his series as well.

Mark, I think Gaiman has to go and I'm having Kirby instead. *nips off to edit earlier post*

Should've mentioned Bryan Talbot as well, but there's nobody else in the list as is I want to get rid of. Oh well.

I like Gaiman a lot (to be fair, that's based almost entirely on Sandman, because it's the only thing he's written which I really, totally adore - but then again, other people on my list are there based primarily, or even solely, on the basis of only one or two books, so don't take that as a massively damning criticism), and he's definitely a "bubbling under" candidate for position 11. Were my mood to change ever-so-slightly I'd be happy to substitute him for O'Neill, Sacco, Sim, or Pekar. He's undoubtedly a good couple of steps below Kirby, Morrison, Moore, Miller and Eisner in my Personal All-Time Pantheon Of The Wonderful, though.

I liked it a lot: I think updating the character worked brilliantly in that, and it gave Helfer a bit of a headstart for his series as well.

Mark, I think Gaiman has to go and I'm having Kirby instead. *nips off to edit earlier post*

Should've mentioned Bryan Talbot as well, but there's nobody else in the list as is I want to get rid of. Oh well.

The only problem I had with the modernization was the losss of the twin foty-fives. Those are classis and paramount to the Shadow. In my ever so humble opinion they should have kept the .45's with the modern setting.

The only problem I had with the modernization was the losss of the twin foty-fives. Those are classis and paramount to the Shadow. In my ever so humble opinion they should have kept the .45's with the modern setting.

He was still using .45s, though: that's the calibre those Ingram SMG things come in. It isn't quite as impressive as a pair of huge old fashioned pistols, though, you're right.

Mark, I'm a bit surprised nobody else has mentioned Eisner, to be honest.

Me too, but then, I'm sure not everyone would agree with my list either - ten isn't a lot, really, and there's never enough space to pick everyone you'd like. Just for example, I really wish I'd been able to make space for Bryan Talbot, Raymond Briggs, Bill Waterson, René Goscinny, and Paul Chadwick, among many others - some already mentioned in this thread, others not.

EDIT: In fact, fuck it. I've just amended my original list slightly.