Trace

Astonishing X-Men

So, anyone pick up the new issue yet?

I enjoyed it. It's good to have one of the better creative teams in all of comics back.

It's ok. not has good as Whedon's first few issues and really the characterization of some people is a bit off.

I thought it was fucking dire, myself. Bland, boring toss. Oh, and the final page was awful - wasn't this book meant to be a sequel to Grant Morrison's New X-Men? If so, what was with the "shocking" final page which is exactly the fucking same as one of the most memorable cliffhangers from that run? Lazy doesn't even begin to cover it.

I downloaded it out of morbid curiosity, having thoroughly burned out on Whedon's first year (first arc was tolerable but uninspired, second arc was arse), but the lengthy break seems to have done nothing to arrest the downward spiral the book was on. I don't think I'll bother with the rest of the arc.

First time i picked up astonishing it was pretty good bit slow but guess it will pick up but gotta say cant see what all the fuss is about it just seem missing something (beside gambit) but just that spark like the ultimates have.

No, it wasn't meant to be a sequel to "New X-Men". It was meant to replace "New X-Men" as the flagship title of the X-line.

But, yeah, it's quite horrible really.

The first story-arc was average. Nothing new, but nothing bad. Just a return to 1980s style X-Men stories.

The second story-arc was abysmal!

The first issue of the new story-arc is looking better than the last story-arc, but it's still quite boring.

"Sequel" was a poor choice of words on my part...but I don't think there's much doubt that Astonishing was intended by Marvel to serve as a form of replacement/follow-on from Morrison's New X-Men. It fills the same "flagship" role in the X-Men line, with the highest-profile writer/artist team on any of the books, it's got the same core cast of characters, and is, so far as I can tell, the only X-Men title to have seriously attempted to carry forward some of the central themes of Morrison's run. It's not a direct sequel, perhaps, but it's definitely linked more closely to it than any of the other currently ongoing X-titles, which makes my point about the shameless retread of a central plot point from Morrison's run still valid, I think.

what was with the "shocking" final page which is exactly the fucking same as one of the most memorable cliffhangers from that run?

oooo would you spoil that for me please? Did Scott and Logan get into a fight? Is Magneto back again? :icon_rolleyes:

I gave up on New X Men and the 1st issue of Astonishing turned me right off, which is tough to do given John Cassaday's work but there's only so much redundant X - Crap one can take.

I wouldn't worry - Cassaday seems to be phoning this in every bit as much as Whedon.

Anyway, the issue ends with Emma appearing in Scott's doorway dressed as Jean (either in an innocent-but-slightly-disturbing attempt to spice up their relationship, or as a sign that she might be turning evil again. It's not clear at this point). You know...just like it happened TWICE during the Morrison run.

Mark, I think the word you were looking for was "successor."

I admit the issue's a little shit. But I think it's actually a sign of good things to come. The mere fact that Whedon is incorporating Morrison's work is great. I'm really hoping this arc turns out to be a powerful psychological drama about Emma and Scott and not the return of Jean.

And regardless of how lackluster his plots have been, Whedon can still write dialogue like nobody's business.

The mere fact that Whedon is incorporating Morrison's work is great.

Not if he's doing so craply, it isn't.

It was my established love of the characters that kept me attached to these books for so long to the point where I wouldn’t take a look at anything without an X on it. It took a while for me to realize that these titles were turning into shit…I swear they attract flies and everything. Astonishing was the best the X-Men had to offer though...dialogue is supurb in my opinion but plots really don’t cut it. The level of sophistication pales in comparison to Morrison's run.

Ah yes, there was that whole "New X-Men" becomes "Astonishing X-Men", "X-Treme X-Men" becomes "Uncanny X-Men", and "Uncanny X-Men" becomes "X-Men", while "New Mutants" is renamed as "New X-Men" thing, but they've shuffled the characters around even more since "Astonishing X-Men" went on hiatus.

Man, writing that makes my head hurt really bad!

Using themes that Grant Morrison left over from his run on "New X-Men"? A good thing.

Reusing the exact same plots that Grant Morrison just got done using? A really shoddy attempt to write a comic when you don't have the time to write a comic!

Peter Milligan's "X-Men" is far and away the best X-book currently. Hell, I'd say it's far better than Grant Morrison's run. No one else seems to be able to stand to read Milligan's "X-Men" though! I can see why....It's all one big joke to Milligan and most people don't understand the joke, but I've always been very fond of Milligan's sense of humour.

Ah yes, there was that whole "New X-Men" becomes "Astonishing X-Men", "X-Treme X-Men" becomes "Uncanny X-Men", and "Uncanny X-Men" becomes "X-Men", while "New Mutants" is renamed as "New X-Men" thing, but they've shuffled the characters around even more since "Astonishing X-Men" went on hiatus.

Man, writing that makes my head hurt really bad!

Using themes that Grant Morrison left over from his run on "New X-Men"? A good thing.

Reusing the exact same plots that Grant Morrison just got done using? A really shoddy attempt to write a comic when you don't have the time to write a comic!

Peter Milligan's "X-Men" is far and away the best X-book currently. Hell, I'd say it's far better than Grant Morrison's run. No one else seems to be able to stand to read Milligan's "X-Men" though! I can see why....It's all one big joke to Milligan and most people don't understand the joke, but I've always been very fond of Milligan's sense of humour.

That bastard milligan can burn! he's as bad as the Howard Mackie twat (not that i hold a grudge but the bastard destroyed spider-man luckily strasynski recovered him quickly)

Ha, ha! Yes, very good! That's something like Peter Milligan's sense of humour, only without the tact, sure.

........ Yes im completely tactless

Joss always has fantastic dialogue but Jesus isn’t everyone bored of X-men yet? I find each story to be so dull.............beautiful art though.

I just re-read Astonishing XM #14, and it actually grew on me. I think I'm starting to like this title now that Whedon has gotten away from trying to create his own villains (Ord, Danger, etc.) that suck.

It's nice to see a writer not only acknowledge Morrison's run, but to actually use some of the things he created. Also good to see some more 'mature' themes being addressed instead of the usual face-punching and whining about being a mutant. Maybe Cyclops will be cool once again, it's certainly overdue.

Great comedic moments, especially Kitty phasing through the house during climax.

And as usual, Cassady's art kick ass.

Excluding Cassandra Nova, the X-titles have no had a new villain who didn't scream "one-dimensional who will never be used again!" since at least 1996.

The X-titles are notoriously bad for creating awful new villains. The title work best when they use villains created by Claremont (in the 80s), Roy Thomas, or Stan Lee.

Well who would you consider as the better (as characters) villains?

I'd say:

Magneto

Shadowking

Mr. Sinister

Hellfire Club, the original that is

Selene

Dark Phoenix

Non-Lee/Thomas/Claremont creations:

Apocalypse (Walt & Louise Simonson)

Cassandra Nova (Grant Morrison)

Sabretooth (duh duh dun! That's old man Byrne)

Possibly Stryfe, but I hate clones (I can't remember who gets credit for that one--- it might be *gulp* Rob Liefeld)

Hmmmm, pretty short list.

And truth be told, a lot of these characters haven't had good appearances/storylines.

Well who would you consider as the better (as characters) villains?

I'd say:

Magneto

Shadowking

Mr. Sinister

Hellfire Club, the original that is

Selene

Dark Phoenix

Non-Lee/Thomas/Claremont creations:

Apocalypse (Walt & Louise Simonson)

Cassandra Nova (Grant Morrison)

Sabretooth (duh duh dun!  That's old man Byrne)

Possibly Stryfe, but I hate clones (I can't remember who gets credit for that one--- it might be *gulp* Rob Liefeld)

Hmmmm, pretty short list. 

And truth be told, a lot of these characters haven't had good appearances/storylines.

This list looks like an elimination game.

-Proteus

-The Sentinels

-The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (either Magneto's or Mystique's version)

-The Brood (they're not a favourite of mine, but the first Claremont Brood story is quite cool, and on the basis of that alone they're probably better than some of the villains on your list)

-Sublime

-Rev. Stryker

Stryfe would have been Liefield on art, Fabian Niceza writing.

I wouldn't put Sublime on any list. Rev. Stryker is really hard to call. He had one very major story and then was rarely ever seen again.

I'm adding Sauron and Juggernaut to the list.

But, I never meant there was a huge number of great X-villains. Looking at the entire Marvel Universe how many great villains can you name for "Iron Man: or "Thor" or "Capt. America" or "Hulk" or "Daredevil".

Really Spider Man is the only Marvel character with a long list of really good, recurring villains.