Trace

Astonishing X-Men

Ah fuck, I just ManThing'd myself with some DP from CC.

I think the fact that Larocca was doing the art on the issues in question was what confused my memory since he's done almost every issue of Milligan's run.

And here I thought you were just being hyper-defensive of your boyfriend.

It's late and I need to work tomorrow, I should know better than to discuss X-Men past my bedtime. Or at all for that matter.

That's right! No one at this web-site knows more about X-titles than me! Not even Keeyah! Not even Mick, while he does something experimental with pictures of Gambit! ME!

Tony-I own a whole load of X-crap. I mostly stuck to just the core titles, unless I actually wanted to read the story.

I own every issue of "Uncanny X-Men", except #1. Every issue of "X-Men", every issue of Chris Claremont's "New Mutants", every issue of the original "X-Factor" and "X-Force". Including Annuals and shite for all these series. Almost every issue of "Cable"/"Soldier X" (missing a few in the middle of Cable). I have all of the Essential Wolverine books. I even have every issue of "X-Treme X-Men" even though I could barely read the book; I don't know why I bought it! I own the early issue of "Generation X". I have every "Gambit" series. I just have the Warren Ellis issues of "Excalibur". I have the Tony Bedard issues of "Exiles".

I have the first TPB collecting those short stories in "Classic X-Men" from the 80s.

I think the only X-mini-series I have left are "Further Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix" and the Magneto mini-series written by Milligan.

I think that covers my entire X-collection.....Might've missed a few....

Maybe half of those books are actually comics I'd want to read.

That's right! No one at this web-site knows more about X-titles than me! Not even Keeyah! Not even Mick, while he does something experimental with pictures of Gambit! ME!

Tony-I own a whole load of X-crap. I mostly stuck to just the core titles, unless I actually wanted to read the story.

I own every issue of "Uncanny X-Men", except #1. Every issue of "X-Men", every issue of Chris Claremont's "New Mutants", every issue of the original "X-Factor" and "X-Force". Including Annuals and shite for all these series. Almost every issue of "Cable"/"Soldier X" (missing a few in the middle of Cable). I have all of the Essential Wolverine books. I even have every issue of "X-Treme X-Men" even though I could barely read the book; I don't know why I bought it! I own the early issue of "Generation X". I have every "Gambit" series. I just have the Warren Ellis issues of "Excalibur". I have the Tony Bedard issues of "Exiles".

I have the first TPB collecting those short stories in "Classic X-Men" from the 80s.

I think the only X-mini-series I have left are "Further Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix" and the Magneto mini-series written by Milligan.

I think that covers my entire X-collection.....Might've missed a few....

Maybe half of those books are actually comics I'd want to read.

Holy ballsack christian loves X-Men i would never have even guessed, oh by the way iv'e emailed you those gambit pictures you wanted mate. :biggrin:

Im looking forward to carey too, hes the only reason im staying with X-men after they raped and tossed aside gambit. And if rogues gets with that new fella, well i just will not have kind words for her!

These people should get a life, in fact no, not a life they can all go die, fuck off and burn in hell in fact. BASTARDS. I bet they all watch big brother, losers. And they have no girlfreinds!! (By they i am refering also to the posters although i didn't read them all.

Why even post this mark, why do you hate me so, i have been trying tremendously to improve my grammer just for you. Damn you.

Partly because it sums up my attitude far more entertainingly than I ever could.

But mainly because I thought it was funny.

Man #1: “Dude, we should catch that movie Dreamer, the one about the little girl and the horse that taught a family to love again.”

Man #2: “Fuck no we shouldn’t.”

Man #1: “It’s got Kurt Russell and Kris Kristoferson.”

Man #2: “Let us do this thing!!!”

Amen.

Powerful Truth lies behind this link.

8-)

...and choirs of angels sing “Amen.”

Next to Cyclops, Gambit is my most hated X-Man. One good thing about fortuitous resurrections is that you get to watch characters you hate die over and over again…it’s just the coming back part that bites.

Imagine if he and Rogue managed to generate offspring…they’d have the most fucked up speech impediment in the history of the world.

Trace…they could name him Zenith. :biggrin:

Cyclops is a genuinely strong, interesting character who's suffered from being incredibly badly written since about 1981 (Grant Morrison's New X-Men excepted). Gambit, on the other hand, is just a bad character. Ill-conceived, poorly-designed, and appallingly-written ever since he first appeared.

Agreed. But therein lies my irritation. That is a long time to be badly written. 1981 is also a date that precedes the appearance of Gambit by about 10 years or so. Also, I started reading X-Men in the late 80s so I suppose it played on my first impressions of him. Gambit is so abysmal that I never took him seriously to begin with so his crappiness doesn’t have as much of an impact on me. He’s unimportant and easy to ignore. Cyclops on the other hand is, as you say, a genuinely strong and interesting character that is continually butchered. It’s tiring. Thus, with him, the irritation is much stronger for me. Characters I’ve never been invested in don’t concern me as much.

Cyclops is a genuinely strong, interesting character who's suffered from being incredibly badly written since about 1981 (Grant Morrison's New X-Men excepted). Gambit, on the other hand, is just a bad character. Ill-conceived, poorly-designed, and appallingly-written ever since he first appeared.

I think Cyclops, is like Alfred, for that matter.

What would appear to be a simple character on the outset, is actually a complex and subtle and nuanced role that's effin hard to write.

I liked some of Lobdell's character writing.

There was one sentence, inwhich Xavier is discussing Cyclops and the very reasons that he gave Scott the name.

Apart from the obvious, it was his clarity of vision, his focus, his singlemindedness and determination.

Cyclops is lacking that, and Whedon's recent dissection-which is more a dissection of the movies I'm-a-dick-Cyclops than the comics Cyclops- is at odds with that initial role.

Cyclops isn't some blind follower, he believes in Xavier's dream irrespective of all the shit.

So much so that he (SPOILER) actually chucks Xavier out of his very own school at the end of Brubaker's Deadly Genesis.

Great H'ronmeer!

This is a man who is supposed to be able to punch a whole in a mountain with his optic blast, not some wet boyscout that they always make him out to be.

Grant Morrison put the testes back on Cyclops, is Marvel going to take those away again!

I liked Gambit when Lobdell or Niceza was writing him. I felt they actually made him interesting.

I disagree about Cylcops ever being interesting before Morrison. He's always been a bland, boring character. His only purpose was to follow Prof. X's orders and be a team leader. He was never even a boring leader-type in the mold of Reed Richards. At least Richards was a genius, so you knew when he was boring and emotionally distant, it was because he was trying to work out the best plan to stop the danger.

I like Gambit and Cyclops just fine though. Us long-term X-fans have had to put up with people like Bishop and Longshot. After enduring the torture of those types of characters, one comes to enjoy the bland boyscout flavour of Cyclops, because at least it doesn't taste like dog shite!

I've got to agree with Christian, for the most part. The only time I found Cyclops even remotely interesting was when he was either going balls out and being generally out of character, or when he was getting severely knocked down.

Oh, and Christian, don't knock Longshot. He brought us Mojo, and everyone loves a good Mojoverse story!

I disagree about Cylcops ever being interesting before Morrison. He's always been a bland, boring character. His only purpose was to follow Prof. X's orders and be a team leader.

You mean aside from during the sizeable chunk of the Claremont/Byrne run when Prof. X was off in space with the Shi'ar? Or the period after Xavier returns, during which he and Scott are constantly butting heads because the Professor simply doesn't have a clue how to interact with the new team?

Because I've just been re-reading those issues (which is the X-Men era I tend to gravitate towards, because it's the best one, really), and there's nothing remotely bland or boring about the character. He's a total bad-ass! He beats the living shit out of Wolverine - and fights the entire X-team to a standstill - just to give the guy a bit of a motivational boot up the arse, for fuck's sake!

I've got to agree with Christian, for the most part. The only time I found Cyclops even remotely interesting was when he was either going balls out and being generally out of character, or when he was getting severely knocked down.

Oh, and Christian, don't knock Longshot. He brought us Mojo, and everyone loves a good Mojoverse story!

When it was a self-referential story by Claremont dealing with the marketing Marvel was doing of the X-universe, yes, Mojo was a good, humourous story.

After that, the Mojoverse stories were just plain awful!

It was a one-shot story, and we should never have had to suffer through the Mojoverse, or any of its inhabitants, ever again!

The X-Babies recently appeared again, about 5 months ago.

I hate, to the very soul of my being, the X-Babies, Mojo, and the entire fucking Mojoverse.

I liked the Longshot miniseries, but not that much. Spiral is another one of those intially cool and mysterious characters that became mind-numbingly horrible upon subsequent origin and false background stories.

Cyclops was briefly interesting, then terribly one-dimensional for years, then very briefly interesting again (Morrison), and is back to being lame.

Gambit was ok when he first came along and didn't care about anyone (except the de-aged Storm). But he suffered the same crappy fate as Spiral. Gambit=douchebag.

Rogue bugs the shit out of me as well. I didn't mind her when she initially joined the team, there was a great dynamic there, but she grew tiresome.

The problem with the X-Men is that the characters have all been around too long, and for the most part have had terrible development patterns. And the constant retconning or adjusting of histories and motivations is beyond retarded. The x-books are too similar to soap operas.

Goblin: lol@the Zenith comment. Actually, lol@Zenith himself.

Oh, and don't get me started on Cyke being able to punch a hole through a mountain. That pussy couldn't punch a hole through a wet paper bag.

"The X-Men are too much like a soap opera?"....umm, really isn't this true of every superhero comic? Weren't comics really just the equivalent of soap operas for men?

"The X-Men are too much like a soap opera?"....umm, really isn't this true of every superhero comic? Weren't comics really just the equivalent of soap operas for men?

I don't know, I don't read many superhero comics.

But the X-Men weren't always that way. Things got out of hand after the Dark Phoenix Saga.

No, really the X-Men always were like a soap opera. And, almost all superhero books are pretty much like soap operas for males.

Looking at the 1960s X-Men:

Scott loves Jean....BUT HE CAN'T TELL HER!

OMG! Angel is going after Jean!

Jean really likes Scott....but will she go out with Angel anyway?!

Professor X is DEAD!

No wait....he's back from the dead!

Hardly anything compared to Madelyne Pryor, the Siege Perilous, Rogue + Gambit, blah, blah, blah.