Trace

Astonishing X-Men

The cast just got bigger. It was a natural extension of what was already sown.

They had to be bigger and more grandiose! You can't repeat the same story-lines from the 1960s, but they're the best stories to work with, so you make a relationship like Scott and Jean again, only you take it to the Nth degree, and voila, ROGUE & GAMBIT!

Look at the angst in those Lee or Thomas comics.

Bobby Drake:"Oh, who am I kidding? I know Lorna is the only girl for me. My life is forfeit if she doesn't love me!"

Trust me. They've always been soap operas and will always be soap operas.

Even the format is the same:

TO BE CONTINUED....

Retro continuity

Playing off of story-lines that happened 20 years ago when it works, ignored story-lines that happened two months ago when it works.

Christian's right - the X-Men have been soap-operatic pretty much since the beginning. If, like me, you don't really have any interest in the pre-Claremont stuff, that's even more so - Claremont's style of writing hardly changed over the entire duration of his run, things just became more complicated as the cast grew larger. The pre-Dark Phoenix material is every bit as soap-operatic as the issues which came after - it's just better.

Which issue is it that Cyclops beats the entire team? I have always thought of him as a monumental wanker and would like to see evidence as to the other side of my argument.

Can't remember the exact issue number, but it's during the Proteus saga, a little while before Dark Phoenix (the Proteus issues are some of my favourite X-Men comics, incidentally). It's worth reading the entire Claremont/Byrne run, really - the first two Essential volumes will take you most of the way through it (starting with the Cockrum era which preceded it, which is also damn fine), and contain some fucking great comics.

I don't find the earlier issues of Uncanny X-Men to be too soap-opera-y. There's human drama there, along with everyman concerns.

The later stuff that I was referring to is overly dramatic and silly.

But I guess opinions are like assholes....

But I guess opinions are like assholes....

If you look at them too closely they turn out to be a pile of shit?

I have no clue where that simile was meant to go.

There was a bit much soap opera in X-treme X-men (horrible pun) but most get the balance just right. Especially the New X-men.

Partly because it sums up my attitude far more entertainingly than I ever could.

But mainly because I thought it was funny.

Damn your sinister side.

Finally! An issue worth buying!

Action-packed, with the Hellfire Club revamped and deadlier than ever wreaking havoc on our merry mutants. This is the issue I've been waiting for since the title started.

Cassandra Nova is great, Shaw is once again awesome (something he hasn't been since the Dark Phoenix Saga), and Negasonic is even cool.

Perfection is still a mystery (as is who the "destroyer of Breakworld" is) but I don't care, so long as it doesn't turn out to be Jean Grey.

Emma isn't clearly aligned with the Hellfire Club, they seem to have something on her and there are hints that she's secretly plotting to thwart them (the first clue being her asking Kitty to re-join the team way back when).

Excellent compared to all the other issues, but in truth it's just above average.

7 or 8 out of 10.

I'm now excited for this arc, something I haven't said about any X-Men comic in God knows how long.

I thought it was an awesome issue myself, but in all honestly, I don't think I was ever disappoined with an Astonishing X-Men issue yet, unlike many people in this board might be. I'm really enjoying the current story and I would say its the best yet in the Astonishing series. Can't wait for the next issue, the bi-monthly release is killing me!!!

It was absolutely shit. Better than the last few issues, but only because it was directly copied from a far better story written several decades ago.

Whedon's dialogue was, generally, clunky and out-of-character, the plot was lifted beat-for-beat from a single specific chapter of the (vastly superior) Dark Phoenix Saga (literally...there were even a couple of direct panel- and dialogue-lifts), and Cassaday's art was the worst I've ever seen from him. Unimaginative page layouts, characters whose faces changed shape wildly between panels, awkwardly photo-referenced poses...embarrassingly-inconsistent work from an artist who, while I've never been a big fan, really is good enough to know better.

There's no way anyone could convince me to pay money for this toss, and the only reason I'm still even downloading it is out of morbid curiousity. The first 6 issues or so were tolerable, albeit uninspired generic superhero stuff, with some entertainingly 'Whedon' dialogue tics. Everything since has been dire. Why are people still talking about it as though it were something other than the lazy, fan-wanking crap it is? Am I taking crazy pills? Can someone else please confirm that it's as bad as I think it is, or am I just being mental?

No. It's awful. I have no idea why people praise it.

They completely ignore Milligan's X-Men. Sure, I understand no one gets it, but couldn't people at least admit, "Hey! This is different!". Unlike the recycled plots on Astonishing.

And, they don't even bother to buy X-Factor, which is heads and shoulders above any other X-titles. Save your money and buy X-Factor!

And, it's not as if these X-books are charting new territory for the future of the comic industry either. They're just readable or fun books, which shows how sad a critique that is of Astonishing X-Men that it's nowhere near the level of Milligan's X-Men or X-Factor.

Yet, everyone still claim that Astonishing X-Men is one of the greatest books being written.

"Hey! The book had been unreadable, but this new arc is passable, even if it is plagiarized! Another success for Marvel!"

As Ninth Art (RIP) always says, "Astonishing X-Men is everything that is wrong with the comic industry today wrapped up in one book".

Well, me. Honestly, I am really enjoying Astonishing X-Men as I said before, and mostly because I find it to be a very fun read and the art appeals to me. It's usually one of my first picks when released and I consider it one of my favorites so far.

And about X-Factor, I LOVE the new X-Factor series and I make complete sure I get that book on time and read it and enjoy it. I guess it all just comes down to what you prefer to read. I don't hate on people who don't like AXM, merely because its not their cup of tea and do not enjoy the writing, but I know I am enjoying it and that's fine with me.

Christian is the type of guy who'd bring a knife to a gun fight.

By "knife" I mean "Peter Milligan" and by "gun fight" I mean "a discussion about something other than Peter Milligan."

AXM#16....

More recycled story/plot points (Kitty all alone! Kitty the one-woman army! Beast reduced to an animal-state! Evil mutants!) but still entertaining as fuck.

I cannot get enough Cassady in my life. I'm thinking of shredding my issues of Planetary, Desperado, and AXM then injecting the pulp into my veins.

His visual storytelling is superb and unique, the expressions he draws properly evoke Whedon's scripting, and damn if he doesn't absolutely nail Emma (heh).

Whedon continues to be one of the best writers of dialogue and humor in comics today, and the all-new all-not-so-different Hellfire Club stomps colons professionally.

It was also nice to see Kitty be as resourceful as possible (she does have *cough* ninja training) and using her powers to their full potential.

I even like Ord and Danger both of whom I previously loathed.

The only thing that worries me is the possibility that the cloaked and hooded figure is Jean Grey.

Lord, hear my pleas and sing me back a tender rhapsody that Jean is dead, dead, dead.

7.9/10

Great to see I'm not the only one on this forum enjoying this series. I thought the new issue was a pretty fun read too. :happy:

AXM#16....

More recycled story/plot points (Kitty all alone! Kitty the one-woman army! Beast reduced to an animal-state! Evil mutants!) but still entertaining as fuck.

I cannot get enough Cassady in my life. I'm thinking of shredding my issues of Planetary, Desperado, and AXM then injecting the pulp into my veins.

His visual storytelling is superb and unique, the expressions he draws properly evoke Whedon's scripting, and damn if he doesn't absolutely nail Emma (heh).

Whedon continues to be one of the best writers of dialogue and humor in comics today, and the all-new all-not-so-different Hellfire Club stomps colons professionally.

It was also nice to see Kitty be as resourceful as possible (she does have *cough* ninja training) and using her powers to their full potential.

I even like Ord and Danger both of whom I previously loathed.

The only thing that worries me is the possibility that the cloaked and hooded figure is Jean Grey.

Lord, hear my pleas and sing me back a tender rhapsody that Jean is dead, dead, dead.

7.9/10

That's three deads, folks. Has anyone ever heard of On The Edge, by any chance?

AXM#17

Still more goodness goin' on, despite the obvious reveal of who the real mastermind was behind all this---- although, didn't Nova no longer need/have the mass of cells body a looooong time ago? And what happened between her being Ernst and her regaining her powers and old body?

And just what the hell is going on with Emma? Did Whedon read the Demon Constantine storyline one too many times?

Regardless, it's the title giving me the most pleasure, just a damn fun read.

James turning into Wolverine thanks to a can of beer was a funny Popeye satire....

And Cassandra back as Queen Bitch is always welcome. She's easily the best X-Men adversary since Magneto.

8/10

WOOHOO! Fun issue!

Although I expected who the mole was, it was still great to see the reveal, and the whole issue to me was just disturbing. Emma- I mean The Wite Queen- f'ked up Kitty pretty bad.

But of course, time for Cyclops to kick some ass, gun blazing style! :icon_mgun:

Chuck Austen

May I just point out I hate this man with every fibre of my being plus a few polymers and most of the silk products, despite many of those overlapping that only goes to show the extreme dislkie present within those fibres/polymers/silks.

Kind of like syphilis.

I never gave you kudos for this seriously-perfect burn.

I just downloaded and read #13-19 and I fucking loved them. I'm with the two (?) people here who liked it. I've been buying X-men since issue #131 and damn if this isn't the reason I started buying comics in the first place. I've re-read the Dark Phoenix saga dozens of times. Isn't that recycling?

The dialogue in this book is flat out some of the best I've ever seen. The issue where the FF helped take down a giant NY city monster, with Wolvie thinking 'I like beer', then seeing him pop back into character from looking at a beer, so cool.

Cassady's art is gorgeous. That same beer scene had two panels, one in foucs beer and one out of focus beer, that really makes me drool.

Are all the haters here from Europe? Not Christian, I know, but the rest of you, methinks Jerry Springer doesn't get good ratings over there. Different sensibilities, I guess.

Yup I buy the title...Whislt I prefer X-Force/X-Statix as if it were my own son...I am enjoying this title...better than most X-crap Marvel push out in droves?

Any thoughts on Mike Careys X-run? I havent read any of it...