JohnMcMahon

Johnny Red

JohnMcMahon    562

Bless the internet and all who sail on her!

http://www.falconsquadron.sevenpennynightm...co.uk/intro.htm

Having a serious nostalgia trip here as I read through the strips he's scanned - back when I was a child, I made audio tapes of my reading out various stories (complete with sound-effects, care of a toy gun I had at the time).

My sister found one of the tapes and held it over my head for months!

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442

Very talented guy that John Cooper. Is he doing anything at the moment?

dogpoet    442
Don't think he's still involved in comics, pays the rent with original paintings and prints.

Pity. Still, if it's keeping him solvent, why does he need to bother with the other?

Josh    6
Having a serious nostalgia trip here as I read through the strips he's scanned - back when I was a child, I made audio tapes of my reading out various stories (complete with sound-effects, care of a toy gun I had at the time). 

My sister found one of the tapes and held it over my head for months!

You should get it online so we can hear it.

JasonT    438

Woohoo!

Surprising to read in the Battle Picture Weekly section that Battle "was conceived as a rival to D.C. Thompson's new Warlord title". I'd always taken it that Warlord was the inferior knock-off of Battle. I recall several times going to the newsagent for my fix, only to discover that Battle wasn't in, and grudgingly buying Warlord as a consolation.

The memories, oh the memories.

Quite. :happy:

JasonT    438

Just downloaded a scan of the first issue of Countdown, from February 1971. (That's when it was published, not where I downloaded it from.) The strip based on Gerry Anderson's Captain Scarlet was drawn by none other than John Cooper. So it's full of rock-jawed, impassive men blasting the crap out of things.

I'm not really going anywhere with this.

dogpoet    442

I did like John Cooper's art hugely, myself. (Though he drew a pretty lousy Judge Dredd.) Where was that Gaunt strip first published? I'd always thought it was something The Eagle had retrieved from Battle, as they were retrieving shite like Ant Wars from 2000AD, but I've since been told it wasn't.

Josh    6

Uhm, guys...

http://www.falconsquadron.sevenpennynightm...y/1985/1985.htm

And 1986 and a bit of '87.

I don't know when 1986 and after were posted, I just spotted it tonight, but anyway, there's nothing between them and 1980. There's quite a bit of the story missing, and something rather unsettling, and mysterious due to the missing years, appears to have happened to Johnny Red's adopted unit, the Falcons, in the meantime.

JasonT    438

Thanks Josh!

I might have some of the missing years myself. I'll have to check.

JasonT    438

No probs. I envy you UK residents for getting free postage from Amazon. :tongue:

If you click on Amazon's link to other books by Tom Tully, a nifty collection of 1960s classics pops up: Albion Origins, with Kelly's Eye, Janus Stark, and two others drawn by Eric Bradbury. Tempting. The Johnny Red collection is a no-brainer, though.