JohnMcMahon

Spend Mick's Money

Our newly arrived resident Gambit expert, Mick, is looking to broaden his comic reading horizons - like most of us, he's working on a budget so he's more interested in something that he can jump into via a monthly issue rather than throwing big heaps of cash at trade paperback collections.

So, stick your suggestions in this thread, thankyouverymuch....

Emo Boy. Issue #5 just came out two weeks ago. It's usually bi-monthly (sometimes it ships late). It's published by Slave Labor Graphics.

No one else is reading it, but I adore it, so I must make someone else read it so they can tell me how wonderful it is.

Well, what are you into Mick? I seem to remember you like Marvel comics, no?

If I'm wrong you may slap me.

If I'm right you need all of Warren Ellis' Stormwatch trades...they should be pretty cheap and well worth every penny.

You got a good local comic shop or a good online source?

Well, what are you into Mick? I seem to remember you like Marvel comics, no?

If I'm wrong you may slap me.

If I'm right you need all of Warren Ellis' Stormwatch trades...they should be pretty cheap and well worth every penny.

You got a good local comic shop or a good online source?

Not really if i go through to leeds it tends to be just the newer comics! oh then again i found this little shop in a realy obscure place in wakey the just sells old comics almost forgot i'll look out for them. But not just marvel i wanna try some new stuff anything at all.

And when i saw this post 'spend micks money' fuck i thaught i'd been mugged by john unknowingly and he was just gloating at me.

Guest spiderlegs

All of the following are trades:

V for Vendetta

The Watchmen

Kingdom Come

Hellblazer: All His Engines

TRANSMETROPOLITAN: Lust for Life

Preacher: Gone to Texas

Stormwatch: A Finer World

The Authority: Relentless & Under New Management

Sandman: Brief Lives & The Kindly Ones

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

like most of us, he's working on a budget so he's more interested in something that he can jump into via a monthly issue rather than throwing big heaps of cash at trade paperback collections.

Fell #4 is out this week, each issue is a stand-alone story so you should be able to jump right in - it's about a cop stationed at a remote station in a very weird part of town.

like most of us, he's working on a budget so he's more interested in something that he can jump into via a monthly issue rather than throwing big heaps of cash at trade paperback collections.

Fell #4 is out this week, each issue is a stand-alone story so you should be able to jump right in - it's about a cop stationed at a remote station in a very weird part of town.

Didnt someone around here provide a link to the first issue of that online? Enjoyed it a lot as I recall...

yes, Fell is really good and cheaper than other comics. Only 4 issues into it so you can probably jump in there.

That fell sounds quite intresting i'll be going on thursday (one week off) so i'll save all your suggestions on a list but i suppose fell i could pick up all four issues to date.

This week against most recommendations i could not help my curiosity and picked up the last few swamp things. ....

Didn't see emo boy btw was probably buried somewhere but will have to keep my eye out and iv'e only just got the rest of your suggestions i'll def look for next wave and invicible anything dumb and fun sounds good to me. Keep them coming i can always stretch the comics over a few weeks.

If you ever save up enough $ for trades, then you must MUST get the Invisibles. It will change your life.

Actually, come to think of it, you can get the back issues for pretty cheap online. Good on up to Very Fine conditions will go for less than current comic pricing (about $2.50).

As for a Marvel title: 1602 by Neil Gaiman. Again, back issues shouldn't cost too much, but there is a trade.

I'd say it's a good time to jump on the Bat-train as it were (didn't he actually have a train that came into the batcave at somepoint?) and jump on with this months Detective Comics and Batman. Both written by the incomperable James Robinson.

I'll also throw out a plug or Manhunter from DC, Starting at number 19 later this month it's "One Year Later" so a fresh story and a break from the past year or so of stories. I don't have any idea what the issue has instore, but it's always a very well written and drawn adventure book. The protagonist is a Female District Attorney by day, and a "hero" on the side. I use the quotes because she's not above using lethal forse when necessary. Seriously. very good book here.

I'd say it's a good time to jump on the Bat-train as it were (didn't he actually have a train that came into the batcave at somepoint?) and jump on with this months Detective Comics and Batman. Both written by the incomparable James Robinson.

More pertinently, in 3 months' time, after the 8-part "Catching Up With Gotham, One Year Later" story Robinson's doing, Batman will be written by Grant Morrison, and Detective by Paul "Batman: The Animated Series" Dini. The best writer of superhero stories in modern comics, and the guy who co-created (and wrote many of the adventures of) the definitive, best-ever version of the character? I think it's safe to say that something approaching greatness can be hoped for, even if you've never been much of a Batman fan before.

The first couple of issues of The Exterminators are out from Vertigo and although the first issue was a bit crap, the second one is much, much better. As Ade pointed out elsehwere, it's got the same whacked-out sensibilities as the movie Repo Man, but with the added bonus of really attractive artwork.

Not quite sure where the plot is going, but there's all kinds of oddness about: a roach poison that makes people explode, mad - and possibly lesbian for some reason - businesswomen with bombs in their offices, a secretive war criminal and a guy who eats bugs for fun.

The third issue's out this week, I think.

possibly lesbian for some reason

It's Vertigo, isn't it?

There you go.

If you ever save up enough $ for trades, then you must MUST get the Invisibles.  It will change your life.

Actually, come to think of it, you can get the back issues for pretty cheap online.  Good on up to Very Fine conditions will go for less than current comic pricing (about $2.50).

As for a Marvel title:  1602 by Neil Gaiman.  Again, back issues shouldn't cost too much, but there is a trade.

I buy trades all the time but at min my money goes on hellblazer trades. HB being top priority!

As for Batman ..... just dont start me as much as im willing to try god damn you'll have to give me a REALLY good reason to read him same for the blue and red flying bastard!

The exterminators actually iv'e seen that and it sounds quite good think your onto summat with that!

I think i may actually be coming around on his Swamp Thing. I actually liked this last issue.

You're better off buying "The Invisibles" in Trades.

I'd also keep away from "1602" until you've read a lot more Neil Gaiman. I can forgive Neil for "1602" because I know how damn good a writer he actually is. If one of your earliest tastes of Gaiman is "1602" you might mistakenly believe that's the best he's capable of.

I'd also keep away from "1602" until you've read a lot more Neil Gaiman. I can forgive Neil for "1602" because I know how damn good a writer he actually is. If one of your earliest tastes of Gaiman is "1602" you might mistakenly believe that's the best he's capable of.

Right, but I'm recommending it to a person who's read mostly Marvel titles, particularly X-Men stuff. I think it'd be a good "baby step" before he moves on to Sandman or any of Neil's more sophisiticated work.

The Invisibles are great in trades, very well divided. I only mention the single issue option because I found them online at a very cheap price (as little as a $1.00 per issue). But I suppose one can find the trades online cheaply as well.

Right, but I'm recommending it to a person who's read mostly Marvel titles, particularly X-Men stuff. I think it'd be a good "baby step" before he moves on to Sandman or any of Neil's more sophisiticated work.

The Invisibles are great in trades, very well divided. I only mention the single issue option because I found them online at a very cheap price (as little as a $1.00 per issue). But I suppose one can find the trades online cheaply as well.

Well i have only really read marvel so might be ok for me...

Dave i have only actually read issue 21 of swamp thing but i realy enjoyed it

Well i have only really read marvel so might be ok for me...

Exactly. Plus, the bigger stars of the Marvel Universe are in "1602" including the X-Men. I think you'll enjoy it.

(I make these recommendations as someone who was in the same boat as you. I read primarily Marvel stuff in my teens, mostly X-Men related titles. It wasn't until this past year when I returned to comics that I branched out from the X-Men and other Marvel books. I found "1602" to be a good introduction to Gaiman's writing and have since moved on to this more accomplished works in HB, Sandman, etc.)

Don't be too quick to recommend, or to accept recommendations of, The Invisibles. I'm re-reading the whole lot now, and in hindsight, it ain't all that.