Sign in to follow this  
lyra

Post a gay or lesbian comic book character

It seems since Vertigo lacked the large breasted super heroines typically found in comics it compensated with a high rate of lesbianism running through their universe.

I thought it would be neat if we could find as many as we could not just in vertigo but elsewhere.

Shade Changing man

Lenny and Kathy

len.gif

kat.gif

Shade wasn't actually gay or bi, was he? He could change his sex.

Northstar from Alpha Flight was gay....that was his whole purpose....to be a gay character....

As far as I know, he's the only homosexual character from Marvel. I believe Marvel has a policy which states that homosexual characters cannot appear in all ages geared comic books.

Yeah, I know. All you Marvel haters, you've got a valid reason to say you can't stand Marvel Comics now.

John Constantine is obvious as a bi-character from Vertigo.

Animal Man's wife turned bi-sexual out of nowhere during Jamie Delano's run. It was all quite awful, so let's forget about it.

David Wojnarowicz was gay! :lol: -Yes, I know he's a real person, but he wrote himself into an autobiographical comic, so I'm counting it! "Seven Miles a Second" is the comic, and everyone needs to read it!

"Stuck Rubber Baby"'s protagonist was gay, although that's also a biographical comic (the character's based on the writer Howard Cruse, right?), although I don't believe it's completely factual....? I could be wrong.

My mind is drawing a blank now!

Just about everyone from Sandman: A Game of You and that couple from "A doll's House"

Just about everyone who reads Sandman

That's not nice Jay!

Lou-What makes you think that? I've heard some other people guess that she is, but I haven't found enough proof to say for sure.

:lol:

Guest spiderlegs

Agent 355 in Y, the Last Man.

y_%20004.jpg

Has a steamy romance with...

Allison, the biochemist, also a lesbian.

y_%20005.jpg

Fascinatingly...well, gay in a post apocalyptic, woman rage ruled world with...one guy left...and his pet monkey, also a dude. Got wood?

Guest spiderlegs

The "Ambiguously Gay Duo": Ace and Gary

ambiguous.jpg

96agayduo2.jpg

"The Ambiguously Gay Duo!

The Ambiguously Gay Duo!

They are taking on evil, come what may

They are fighting all crime to save the day.

They're extremely close in an ambiguous way.

They're ambiguoysly gay.

They're ambiguoysly gay.

The Ambiguously Gay Duo!"

Agent 355 in Y, the Last Man.

y_%20004.jpg

Has a steamy romance with...

Allison, the biochemist, also a lesbian.

y_%20005.jpg

Fascinatingly...well, gay in a post apocalyptic, woman rage ruled world with...one guy left...and his pet monkey, also a dude. Got wood?

Y the Last Man is Vertigo's ultimate lesbian fantasy with new ninja and pirate lesbianism included.

Shade wasn't actually gay or bi, was he? He could change his sex.

Northstar from Alpha Flight was gay....that was his whole purpose....to be a gay character....

As far as I know, he's the only homosexual character from Marvel. I believe Marvel has a policy which states that homosexual characters cannot appear in all ages geared comic books.

Yeah, I know. All you Marvel haters, you've got a valid reason to say you can't stand Marvel Comics now.

John Constantine is obvious as a bi-character from Vertigo.

Animal Man's wife turned bi-sexual out of nowhere during Jamie Delano's run. It was all quite awful, so let's forget about it.

David Wojnarowicz was gay! :lol: -Yes, I know he's a real person, but he wrote himself into an autobiographical comic, so I'm counting it! "Seven Miles a Second" is the comic, and everyone needs to read it!

"Stuck Rubber Baby"'s protagonist was gay, although that's also a biographical comic (the character's based on the writer Howard Cruse, right?), although I don't believe it's completely factual....? I could be wrong.

My mind is drawing a blank now!

Theres a reason for the marvel thing i mean kids of all age read such as spider-man and i know if i were a parent and my kid came up to me and ask 'dad why is peter kissing harry' i'd have a few choice words to say at marvel.

I'm not saying theres a problem with there being gay characters but kids dont need to see it i'm not being funny about it but it's a bit too different from what kids see as a perspective of the world. There's no reason to hate any publisher for that fact it's just they wouldn't want angry parents.

As for vertigo they can do that it's made for adults and as for peoples problems with seeing so many it's the way of the world lot's of people are gay and i think just having the odd one character gay just would be a massive waste of time because in real perspective most people know a few people that are gay, i have at least 2 close mates that are and know a few more.

I think gays being in comics should not be a major issue it's like saying hey how come there is/isn't so many (any kind of culture) people in this title!

Theres a reason for the marvel thing i mean kids of all age read such as spider-man and i know if i were a parent and my kid came up to me and ask 'dad why is peter kissing harry' i'd have a few choice words to say at marvel.

I'm not saying theres a problem with there being gay characters but kids dont need to see it i'm not being funny about it but it's a bit too different from what kids see as a perspective of the world. There's no reason to hate any publisher for that fact it's just they wouldn't want angry parents.

As for vertigo they can do that it's made for adults and as for peoples problems with seeing so many it's the way of the world lot's of people are gay and i think just having the odd one character gay just would be a massive waste of time because in real perspective most people know a few people that are gay, i have at least 2 close mates that are and know a few more.

I think gays being in comics should not be a major issue it's like saying hey how come there is/isn't so many (any kind of culture) people in this title!

It's a fair point, but the assumption that Peter and Harry kissing is worse than Gwen getting her neck broken is a bit of an odd one.

That said, there's one of the Eternals (Makkari?) who's apparently gay, and I think there's one of the lot from Titan as well.

See, the funny thing is that to me, that's EXACTLY what you're saying. I really wonder why you'd be angry at Marvel, or even think it was an awkward question if your kid (hypothetical?) asked you why two guys kissed. Your argument, if taken to its logical conclusion, means that children shouldn't be "exposed" to practicing homosexuals at all. What would you do if your kid saw two guys kissing in the street then? Get angry at them for kissing?

Y the Last Man is Vertigo's ultimate lesbian fantasy with new ninja and pirate lesbianism included.

And a monkey...

...but no spanking, so far...

Give it time: Vaughan's building up to that one...

See, the funny thing is that to me, that's EXACTLY what you're saying. I really wonder why you'd be angry at Marvel, or even think it was an awkward question if your kid (hypothetical?) asked you why two guys kissed. Your argument, if taken to its logical conclusion, means that children shouldn't be "exposed" to practicing homosexuals at all. What would you do if your kid saw two guys kissing in the street then? Get angry at them for kissing?

No but i'd be angry at a media which produces for children showing them something that they have no reason to be exposed to as i would them showing spidey actually having sex not something they need to know if the must they can make remarks that hint that way for the older readers. HAving girlfreinds is something there already exposed to it isn't something new to thm but a same sex relationship is something new that they do not need to know at that point in there life.

Also ULTIMATE COLOSUSS IS GAY so there is a marvel character and i think there handling that in quite an appropriate way it also does address that some people have irrational fears towards gay people and that there not needed which i do think is quite a good way at handleing that. Especially the fact that its a huge guy like colossus hich helps take away the awful stereotype such as jack from will and grace.

Maggie and Hopey, duh. some of the best characters in any comic (though you could say Maggie is bi-sexual, given all the guys she's been having flings with. but then, Hopey is the only one she really loves...).

Maggie and Hopey, duh. some of the best characters in any comic (though you could say Maggie is bi-sexual, given all the guys she's been having flings with. but then, Hopey is the only one she really loves...).

That is one of the better ones.

a same sex relationship is something new that they do not need to know at that point in there life.

At what point? Wouldn't you say that a child mature enough to be reading superhero comics (and no matter what some say, at heart they are about fighting and very little else) is mature enough to learn about same-sex relationships?

No but i'd be angry at a media which produces for children showing them something that they have no  reason to be exposed to as i would them showing spidey actually having sex not something they need to know if the must they can make remarks that hint that way for the older readers. HAving girlfreinds is something there already exposed to it isn't something new to thm but a same sex relationship is something new that they do not need to know at that point in there life.

And again I ask: Why? What possible harm would it do to the kids to know that homosexuals exist? :huh:

Noone is saying they should draw guys fucking each other here.