Sign in to follow this  
lyra

Post a gay or lesbian comic book character

All I know is you go on about this "Earth X" thing a hell of a lot! :lol:

Look, I'm not saying there are not aspects of commonality to being African, just like there are aspects of commonality to being American or Canadian or English.

But, it is insulting to say that because someone is from Africa they have enough in common with another person from Africa that they would fall in love from limited exposure to each other.

That's like if I moved to the Phillipines and GenGris told me, "Hey Christian, that woman over there is from the United States. Why don't you go date her?"

It's extremely insulting to expect that I would have anything in common with a woman because she was from the same country as me.

Marvel would NOT use this as an excuse to pair up Hawkeye and Rogue.

The point is exactly what you said in your final paragraph, Marvel expects the readers to buy this marriage as a serious plot due to the fact that Storm is from Kenya and Black Panther is from Wakanda.

I'm not saying that if they started to date, that they wouldn't get along. Who knows?! A good writer could surely make us believe in their relationship and even play off the fact that they're both African. Nothing wrong with that.

But, that is not the path Marvel has taken.

Wasn't there another obese super villian the one who dated the Molecule man during that whole Secret Wars thing.

There really aren't any fat super heroes or villians that i can be attracted too. Sigh. :wub:

CHRISTIAN:

It's extremely insulting to expect that I would have anything in common with a woman because she was from the same country as me.

:huh: Huh? Do you read these things before you post them? :)

I hope everyone spotted this:

Mr. Winick, who is white, said that wasn't always the case,

But you're more likely to.

And I would dare say that you still would, no matter how minor.

It's all that memetics and nuture talk, which both of us would rather not go skinny dipping into right now.

Tchalla and Ororo are both Black, African, Royalty, and Superheroes.

That's alot more in common then you and the random american girl on Gengris' island.

Again it's not just that they're African.

I keep posting this.

They're are both/were royalty/revered, and they both fight effin crime!

It's like double royalty.

Plus, she's a mutant (and especially post House of M). That has it's own set problems.

Storm has the groomings of a Queen, that is in her character, presented in the comics.

Even during her Mohawk days, that was evident.

The Marvel U is not our world exactly, it tries but it aint.

Art one point, it saying what happens in the Marvel U, is what happens in the real world.

It's a great goal to strive for, but as a a control experiment, it's not possible to mantain.

Rogue is probably not going to get married to Phill from Arizona, he's a nice guy and an Airline Pilot.

No shes gonna shack up with Marvels poor answer to John Constantine.

Still Capwolf and Galactus!

Let me write comics Marvel!!!

LYRA:

Mr. T your not mad at me?

¿Que? Why, what have you done? Apart from calling me "Mr T" and cross-dressing your avatar.

Oh my, there are Two Mr.T's in my life. How will i decide?

Sorry about that JasonT that was little inside joke from another thread.

Can't imagine why anyone would leave this thread. :rolleyes:

:)

RE-EDIT: Next bit deleted.

Edited by JasonT

I don't know about that she the daughter of a NEw Orlean's slave trader who slowly went mad from this drum her father stole from an African slave he killed.

She might be crazy but not a lesbian.

rexxx.jpg

To further add to the confusion of this jumbled thread, I've just deleted the remark you're referring to, on account of it being the sort of offensive wisecrack best left in the pub.

Great woodcut, BTW, and I forgot to thank you for posting the article a few pages back.

CHRISTIAN:

:huh: Huh? Do you read these things before you post them? :)

So, the reason you date someone is because they are the same nationality as you? That's your big "go or no go" when you're dating, eh?

Doesn't matter if you like their personality, if you have common interests, how long you've known them, what their family is like, if they have a history of killing their spouses, or any other myriad reasons for dating them?

As long as they're from your country, you know they're good to go!

Because obviously, if they're from the same country as you, they're going to act just like you and enjoy everything you do!

Why bother to get to know them, right?

I live in the United States. It's a pretty damn big country! Hell, I live in Michigan, that narrows it down even more. Still though, pretty populous. AH! I live in Holly, Michigan! Can't be too many people who live here and surely with such a localized proximity I must have TONS in common with everyone who lives in Holly, Michigan!

Only....Only....I've never met anyone from Holly, Michigan I've had anything in common with.....

Only....Only....I've met lots of people in Michigan, but have hardly wanted to date any of them.....

Only....Only.....I don't really have very much in common with most people who live in the United States....

Holy fuck! Maybe living in Holly, Michigan, or the United States ISN'T the only thing that's going to decide if I have anything in common with another human being!

Holy hell! Who would've guessed that!

And....And....sometimes....working in the same place doesn't mean I have anything in common with them either! What?! Impossible! Surely if we have the same job, we must be made for each other, right?

What's going on here?!

I....I....have to date women to find out if we have anything in common?

I....I....have to spend time around and get to know a person before I decide if we can get married?

Only....Only....According to Marvel....if I was African....none of this would hold true!

Of course, this is a comic book, and maybe this isn't really about race or ethnicity or any of that. Maybe Marvel has just pegged their reading audience, and knows that most people reading a Marvel superhero comic are not going to know the first thing about dating!

But you're more likely to.

And I would dare say that you still would, no matter how minor.

It's all that memetics and nuture talk, which both of us would rather not go skinny dipping into right now.

Tchalla and Ororo are both Black, African, Royalty, and Superheroes.

That's alot more in common then you and the random american girl on Gengris' island.

Again it's not just that they're African.

I keep posting this.

It's like double royalty.

Plus, she's a mutant (and especially post House of M). That has it's own set problems.

Storm has the groomings of a Queen, that is in her character, presented in the comics.

Even during her Mohawk days, that was evident.

The Marvel U is not our world exactly, it tries but it aint.

Art one point, it saying what happens in the Marvel U, is what happens in the real world.

It's a great goal to strive for, but as a a control experiment, it's not possible to mantain.

Rogue is probably not going to get married to Phill from Arizona, he's a nice guy and an Airline Pilot.

No shes gonna shack up with Marvels poor answer to John Constantine.

Still Capwolf and Galactus!

Let me write comics Marvel!!!

Look at every other marriage in the Marvel Universe.

Reed and Sue Richards.

Scott and Jean Summers.

Peter and Mary Jane Parker.

Ant Man and the Wasp.

Exactly how long did all of these couples know each and date and go through soap-operatic plots before they finally got married?

The Richardses had a long relationship BEFORE "Fantastic Four" #1, and it was a number of years before Marvel's first wedding.

Scott and Jean, it took them like 30 years to get married.

Peter and Mary Jane, probably about 10 years.

Marvel does not hook two characters up and have them get married next month! That is not the style that Marvel has shown.

They have dating and break-ups and all this stuff before the two characters finally get married.

Why does no one else see that having two characters, who met in a 7-page back-up strip in a Marvel Tales issue from 1981, meeting up again 19 years later in Priest's "Black Panther", and then not meeting again until they decide that they're soul mates, getting married immediately is problematic?

The problem here is that if Black Panther had decided to hang around with the X-Men for a while, it would be a fine idea to have them get married! OK?! Storm and Panther deciding to get married is not the problem here, OK?!

Reed roomed with Susan Richards' family during college.

Peter and M.J. went to school together.

Scott and Jean were team-mates.

All these characters had time together, to get to know each other.

They didn't arbitrarily decide, "Hey! Rogue comes from a poor family and fights crime! I bet she'd be a perfect match for Spider Man!". No, they decided that since Peter and Mary Jane went to school together and were dating that they should get married.

It makes sense.

The Marvel Universe is not so removed from any reality we know that we can't comprehend why two superheroes fall in love.

Marvel has already proven the opposite.

Here, read this actual dialogue from "Black Panther" if I must keep hammering home the point of how wrong this all is (remember, this is all meant to be taken seriously):

From TheXAxis.com:

BLACK PANTHER #14 - The story continues to try and convince us that, honest, this is a totally organic and sensible pairing rather than a faintly desperate publicity stunt. This month things descend into glorious self-parody, as Reginald Hudlin assures us that Storm and T'Challa are clearly destined to be together because, see, Storm's grandmother Harriet once met T'Challa's dad! Why, if she hadn't taken young David to Wakanda with her when she was working for Malcolm X, David would never have been inspired to return to Africa as an adult, so he wouldn't have met Storm's mother! IT'S DESTINY! An aide for Malcolm X, for fuck's sake. And then poor Luke Cage has to say this: "Ororo? Really? It was like that? With Malcolm and your dad? Okay, this is deep." And you just know Reginald Hudlin really believes that. So bad it's unintentionally hilarious.

Yeah, but what if you and another person from Michigan were in say, Namibia?

I wouldn't marry them!

.....And most likely, I wouldn't even talk to them, because most likely they're money-grubbing Capitalist pigs.....

OK Test, as the resident X-expert here, I thought I should clear something up also:

"Again it's not just that they're African.

I keep posting this.

It's like double royalty."

Storm has never been a queen.

She was born in Harlem, New York. Her parents were photojournalists who got assigned to go to Egypt during the Suez Canal crisis.

While there, her parents were killed when an airplane is hit by gunfire and crashes into a building. Storm is buried alive in the rubble and develops claustrophobia.

Now an orphan, Storm is "adopted" by the Shadow King, who kidnaps and trains children to be pick pockets.

After a confrontation with Charles Xavier (when she tries to steal his wallet, but he senses her thoughts), Storm runs away from Egypt.

She ends up in Kenya, where she develops her mutant powers.

Since she has the ability to control weather, a local tribe thinks Storm is a goddess.

She has no royal blood, and is American by birth, and has never been a queen. She was considered a goddess, but besides that, she's spent years on the street living as a thief.