Sign in to follow this  
lyra

Post a gay or lesbian comic book character

There was an issue of Gloom Cookie in which Lex and Chrys appeared as a couple, but it seems that this was merely to stress that reality had gone badly wrong. The only other gay characters to appear were a pair of shapeshifting androgynes who were clearly evil sorts and got killed off quickly. Perhaps Serena Valentino has a problem with homosexuals?

Must not be one of the early issues. After How Loathesome, I can't imagine that Ted Naifeh has anything against gay people.

No, it was an issue from last year with the killer androgynes, Hayley Spark drew that one, I think.

Jesus wept! :blink: What's worse, the harrowing shower incident, or the execrable script?

"C-Can't, though. Horror... revulsion, sweeping through me--"

After reading that dialogue I feel the same way. Lyra, who was the scripter? I'm guessing Michelinie.

JOSH:

Wait, the guys are named Dewey and Luellen?

:) Well spotted. Wonder where Huey was?

LYRA:

It would be pretty hard to survive a superhuman hulk rape.

There's someone's new sig line right there. :biggrin: You just don't get this kind of thing on other internet forums. Probably.

superman.jpg

That's pure gold.

And "... a strange inexplicable malady descends on Gay City"? :ohmy:

I think that one was the '70s, so it may have been before Michelinie's time.

(I like the implication that they've had him without him losing his temper though. That and the fact that he was planning to wear his trousers in the shower...)

It was written by Jim Shooter for issue 23 of Hulk MAgazine it even has a rainbow cover to boot. I am also perplexed as well Dogpoet they are scaring the crap out of him and hitting him so why didn't he turn into the hulk right away? Does he secretly want this to happen? He is warning the two thugs to stay away he doesn't want to hurt them. This sort of reminds be of the issue of miracleman with kid miracle in the bathroom.

Next stop gay city!!

Hulk23.jpg

Perhaps he was containing himself because he knew it'd nark the Hulk?

"Banner takes it up the arse! Raaaaargh!"

I thouight Shooter was a better writer than that page would suggest, to be honest. This was before he landed the editor in chief job at Marvel, I hope?

JOSH:

Wait, the guys are named Dewey and Luellen?

:)  Well spotted. Wonder where Huey was?

I hadn't caught that. 8-)

It just seemed that those weren't exactly the two most butch men's names, if you know what I'm saying about the writing here.

Also, I can't tell from the page shown whether Banner got raped or not.

As to him wearing his pants into the shower, well, he's a rather repressed man, isn't he? 8-)

I found the source of these of images it contains some commentary about it. I guess it was discussed in the comic journal at the time.

http://www.postmodernbarney.com/archive/20...ey_archive.html

I also thought Jim Shooter was a much better writer as well.

Isn't he on a lot of people's top 10 list of most hated people in comics? Outside of that, I've heard him ripped on an awful lot by comic fans.

Thanks for the link to Postmodern Barney, Lyra.

DOGPOET:

I like the implication that they've had him without him losing his temper though.

I caught that too; in fact I thought that "Horror... revulsion, sweeping through me--" referred to having just been raped. But Postmodern Barney states that Banner talked his way out of it. By the way, he's trouserless in the shower — check out the panel that starts with "Look, I-- hey!"

JOSH:

It just seemed that those weren't exactly the two most butch men's names, if you know what I'm saying about the writing here.

Ah, gotcha. That's what Postmodern Barney says too. Oddly, I find myself disagreeing with a lot of Barney's — or rather, Dorian Wright's — reading of that Hulk sequence. For instance he says:

Wow, so they're not just rapists, they're promiscuous rapists...as all gay men are, don't you know.

... which I think is Dorian inferring something that's not implied. He also says:

I'm going to give Shooter the benefit of the doubt here and presume he didn't intend to imply any racial subtext by having the African-American gentlemen make the comments about "pearly white" skin...

If that was a racially-based remark by Luellen, so what? God forbid any writer should depict a black man making a racist remark, hey?

But Dorian redeems himself with

... let's face it, how naive are you to have been living in New York in the late 70s/early 80s and not realize that the YMCA is one of those places where men go to have sex with other men. There's even a song about it, for pity's sake. ... As if to drive the point home, the sequence seems to draw tremendous attention to the Hulk's ass.

:biggrin:

In light of this "latent desire for gay sex at the YMCA" undercurrent in his writing, I wonder if the name "Jim Shooter" isn't a clever pseudonym. ;)

I don't understand the racial implication either if your a serial rapist your not going to be a very endearing character to begin with. PErhaps, if we saw the panel after the hulk turns green and a similar comment by the rapist about the hulks "emerald like skin" we can call Shooter racist.

Dorian is gay so he is not exactly neutral on this issue and after reading some of his archives this past hour he gets incredibly upset when people call something "gay" (not cool) in his store or in comics.

I think the racism he is talking about there is that idea that "black men really like white people more than their own race." Remember the "these black people only want to rape our women, and who could blame them?" remarks?

But, I'd say Jason is right in that Dorian seems to be hyper-vigilant, in feeling that Shooter is writing a generalization, instead of writing a scene with a rapist.

Besides which, yes, a rapist character should not represent the endearing qualities of any person, race, or sex.

"Gay"=Not cool? No....

Gay=Happy! :D

In light of this "latent desire for gay sex at the YMCA" undercurrent in his writing, I wonder if the name "Jim Shooter" isn't a clever pseudonym.  ;)

:lol: :biggrin: :lol:

I found the source of these of images it contains some commentary about it. I guess it was discussed in the comic journal at the time.

http://www.postmodernbarney.com/archive/20...ey_archive.html

I also thought Jim Shooter was a much better writer as well.

Isn't he on a lot of people's top 10 list of most hated people in comics? Outside of that, I've heard him ripped on an awful lot by comic fans.

That was more down to stuff that was going on when he was EIC at Marvel, rather than him being a terrible writer, though. In some ways, that's a bit unfair: he did exploit the "DC implosion" in order to not offer a better page rate, but he was also responsible for introducing the first system of bonuses they had that eventually led into them paying royalties.

"Don't make me randy. You wouldn't like me when I'm randy..."

"Don't make me randy. You wouldn't like me when I'm randy..."

That gives a whole new meaning to the Hulks catch phrase "Hulk Smash...ass"

I suspect all these irradiated super hero's are impotent due to radiation. Do any of these characters ever develop tumors?

Batman is forever cursed for taking Robin under his wing.

ComicFightClub.jpg

Well he's about the only one who's strong enough now to make Hulk "take it", though Doc Samson was physically dominating Hulk for a while some years ago....

Well he's about the only one who's strong enough now to make Hulk "take it", though Doc Samson was physically dominating Hulk for a while some years ago....

The Thing and the Absorbing man could probably "take it" from the hulk as well. Anyone else in his league?

The Thing and the Absorbing man could probably "take it" from the hulk as well. Anyone else in his league?

Thor, perhaps? Maybe Wonder man (if he isn't dead at the moment) or Colossus (also, assuming he isn't dead)?

This is an increasingly odd conversation.

Yeah, it's odd; but it's my dream that this topic will eventually replace that tired old chestnut "Who would win in a fight between X and Y".

I live for the day when geeks will regularly go up to editors at conventions and ask, "Who in the Marvel Universe is strong enough to take it up the arse from the Hulk?" or "If Absorbing Man slept with the Thing, who would be the sponge and who would be the stone?"

"Absorbing Man". Heh. ;)

DOGPOET:

Thor, perhaps?

Afterwards, they'd both be Thor.

HA! This is wrong....

So, how did Marlo and Betty Banner manage to take it from the Hulk?

How does Lois manage to take it from Superman?

The great unanswered questions of the comic book world!

"I guarantee he blows a load like a shotgun right through her back! He'd have to wear a Kryptonite condom, which of course would kill him."