Sign in to follow this  
lyra

Post a gay or lesbian comic book character

What about the Forge and Storm relationship that wasn't to bad. I never even heard of STorm and Black Panther ever having anything going on.

It is sad that Batwoman is going to be just another lesbian in the DC universe. My question is are her boob's bigger or smaller than the last one the bigger they are the more popular she'll be.

They're so big you can't even see her face! Destined to be the most popular female superhero of all time!

The Storm/Forge relationship has been over for years and years now. Those "Life/Death" stories by Claremont were pretty damn good though.

Anyway, yeah, they've made a whole mini-series about the upcoming Storm/Panther wedding and they stuck it in as part of the "Civil War" cross-over and everything. Apparently, Marvel's whole idea is that they'll attract more black readers if they have a popular black superhero couple, so they just stuck Storm and Black Panther together out of nowhere and expected the readers to buy that because they're both Africans, they were obviously made for each other! :icon_rolleyes: Very offensive.

So we're talking glad bag garbage sized silicone implants. I think we've got a winner. Now she is only human so does she need a personalized bat wheel barrel to run around with them on her missions? Or despite being human she does she have the usual super power of breasts that defy the laws of gravity?

I really think the Forge relationship would be better but if their wish is to create more diversified readers then by all means go ahead with the panther thing. I don't think it is going to make me pick up any more comics because of it though.

They're so big you can't even see her face!

So just imagine what will happen when she tries to do acrobatics, martial arts, and swing from building to building.

And have a nice soft landing, when she miscalculates her bat swings (easy to do with the lack of vision).

BUMP off the side of the building.

"Quickly Batgirl, you need to turn over so you can land safely!'

BUMP bounces off the sidewalk, to a safe landing on her feet.

They're so big you can't even see her face!

So just imagine what will happen when she tries to do acrobatics, martial arts, and swing from building to building.

That's the beauty of comics, though - the artists can completely ignore gravity.

So we're talking glad bag garbage sized silicone implants. I think we've got a winner. Now she is only human so does she need a personalized bat wheel barrel to run around with them on her missions? Or despite being human she does she have the usual super power of breasts that defy the laws of gravity?

I'd imagine so: Catwoman hasn't been using them since Jim Balent stopped drawing her, so they're just going to waste at the moment...

Nice going on the diversity front, DC (although the lesbian contingent does seem to be increasingly heavily-slanted towards the Batman end of the DCU - perhaps there's something in the water of Gotham?), but can we have a couple of male homosexual characters now, please?

Perhaps, the DC universe will wither away and die from the lack of sexual reproduction. They are becoming a Roman society.

I too wouldn't mind more gay characters, men or woman. Just as long it is done respectfully and within context of the character. Don't have a character become gay just because and out of nowhere when there have been no signs of it.

Hey there is Obsidian, the son of Alan Scott. He recently came out in Manhunter, I believe. It was done well and makes sense within context of the character. I also enjoy the fact that Alan though accepting of his son's sexuality, he still refers to his boyfriend as 'his good friend.' Alan is from a different time to be fair.

I wish they would do the gay character's closer to what you have in Love and Rockets they are real humans not just cardboard stereo-types. They should hire Hernandez to do something about it.

Have you read the Gotham Central arc Half A Life? It's available in trade now, and I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Storm and Black Panther together out of nowhere and expected the readers to buy that because they're both Africans, they were obviously made for each other! :icon_rolleyes: Very offensive.

Well no.

As you've said they both African, it's not that they're both black.

Now that may sound slightly less offensive, but it actually adds another layer of cultural understanding between them.

It's not simply a matter of race (Which is still cynically been done at Marvel, no doubt)

Furthermore, because of her powers, Storm used to be treated as royalty, or at least as something holy back in Africa.

And as Tchalla is the Monarch of Wakanda, that's yet another layer in common.

Again, if it's written well, it worked in the Earth X Trilogy, the I have no problem with it.

Have you read the Gotham Central arc Half A Life? It's available in trade now, and I can't recommend it strongly enough.

No, i haven't. What exactly is Gotham central is that something to do with the police force?

Yep - it was a police procedural comic, taking a realistic, street-level view of crime in Gotham City, from the perspective of the detectives on the Major Crimes Unit. Basically, it was Homicide: Life On The Streets, but with Batman villains. Brilliant, brilliant comic, and it's a crying shame that so few people bought it. It came to an end with issue #40 earlier this year, and so far there are three trades available, with more to come. I'd recommend it strongly (Half A Life is one of the best arcs of the series, has a definite relevance to this thread which I'm loath to spoil, and is collected in a trade with a couple of other, lesser stories from various Bat-comics a few years earlier, which, while not quite as good as the main story, do provide all the context you could ever require).

Storm and Black Panther together out of nowhere and expected the readers to buy that because they're both Africans, they were obviously made for each other! :icon_rolleyes: Very offensive.

Well no.

Now that may sound slightly less offensive, but it actually adds another layer of cultural understanding between them.

It's not simply a matter of race (Which is still cynically been done at Marvel, no doubt)

Furthermore, because of her powers, Storm used to be treated as royalty, or at least as something holy back in Africa.

Again, if it's written well, it worked in the Earth X Trilogy, the I have no problem with it.

Actually, if you think about it, "They're both the same race" is less disrespectful than "They're both from the same continent", especially when it's a continent like Africa or a place like the "Middle East"....what I mean is somewhere that the typical Marvel superhero comic reader doesn't understand.

Being from Africa does not mean that you have something in common.

The culture of Egypt is not the same as the culture of South Africa. Just because both nations exist on the same continent does not mean they share the same culture.

The fact that Storm has lived in the United States for years while Black Panther has been the monarch of Wakanda all this time makes it even worse.

Storm has not lived her whole life in Africa, while Black Panther has lived his whole life in Africa. So, I think there's a good reason why people would begin to suspect that Marvel had taken the idea "hey, they're both black, right?" at the premise behind this marriage, even over and above the completely imbecilic attitude of "Everyone in Africa must share the same culture! It can't be that diverse a place, right?"

Look, I don't know anything about "Earth X" and I know you love to protect that precious series, but this isn't "Earth X".

"Earth X" was in the future and on a different Marvel universe. Perhaps Storm and Black Panther have a serious history on that world or maybe they were dating for a while.

The Marvel Universe expects us to believe in this marriage after the two have not even had any contact since 1999!

For the record, there's nothing wrong with "pairing up the racial couples" in an attempt to reach out to different races with comics that a primarily white people running around. It's the matter in which they're doing it which comes across as offensive.

Had Marvel started Storm and Panther dating and built up their relationship, showing that Wakanda actually does have cultural similarities with Kenya and next year they had the wedding, no one would blink their eyes.

Well no.

Look, I don't know anything about "Earth X" and I know you love to protect that precious series

Steady on Christian.

I had actually said, that my precious Earth X had the benefit of being set in the future already, If you read my posts carefully.

Now, your extreme example, Egypt and South Africa.

As I actually have met Egytians and discussed Africa and what it means to be African, and infact quite recently when my mates and I were dining in a Sudanese restuarant too.

Even for a White, English, Handsome, South African who's lived in England for too long, I still found a lot in common, that was Africa specific.

It's just something that's deep in the mental binary code.

Geographically and geoculturally (if that's a real word), Wakanda and Nigeria? (Is it?), aren't meant to be too dissimilar.

Although, Wakanda seems to be the only African country that wasn't plundered and perpetually handicapped by colonialism.

Again, the royalty aspect, further niches them.

Sure Storm may have lived in the U.S of A, but Tchalla, is far more traditional (proudly and without it handicapping him much).

I would hesitate, and say that it would matter to Tchalla and the whole of Wakanda, that his bride and their queen be Black and African.

It's sad that it would matter, but I suppose there would be a fuckload of cultural politics involved.

Afterall, I don't remember, the last british Monarch, that married oh i don't know a Japanese prince/princess, even in tis day and age!

And that still limited to the realm of Royalty.

It might not be progressive, but it's still realistically pertinent.

Of course, all these common factors would not guarentee a perfect couple, but it would show a tendency.

And of course, I agree that their relationship should be methodically built up and justified.

Capwolf can date Galactus for all I care, as long as it's been built up and justified.

Marvel are retconning their history to justify this relationship, with their Storm series.

I'ts a half arsed attempt sure, but it's an attempt.

I've actually been thinking about doing a critical analysis using the elements and principles of art to examine these new super heroes.