Sign in to follow this  
Tony B.

Superman

I was at a friend's house the other day when we noticed that Superman and Superman II were playing back to back on some weird cable channel. I remember how incredible those movies were, even with the cheesiness and um, the Gene Hackman.... but anyway the point remains that those two movies are about as perfect as you can get for a superhero movie. Chris Reeve is just so damn awesome and the music, dear god the music is fucking brilliant. Normally, anything involving Superman illicits from me a feeling of nostalgia and wonder at how people viewed the first superhero comics so long ago, and the first two movies totally capture that feeling. I know that feeling is sappy and sentimental and All-American type silliness, but is it wrong that I welcome it so willingly? I think that all comic fans, whether you hate the Big Blue Boyscout and don't read superhero comics or not, could benefit from watching these two movies. I really do.

This is totally random weirdness. Sorry.

I was watching it too. I didn't watch the whole Duperman 2, but I watched the first one and watching it again at my age now (18) than I did when I was in 2nd grade. It was a very entertaining movie and I got chills hearing Chris Reeve scream in anger when Lois died. Just amazing.

I don't think it's as good as the first one - the comedy elements are awkward, and there are some inconsistencies of tone which stem largely from the original director being replaced so late in the production (I really look forward to seeing the Richard Donner edit of the film, when it finally reaches a legitimate DVD release later this year), but it's still a really good piece of work, which puts the majority of subsequent superhero films to shame.

3 and 4, on the other hand, are crimes against God.

They're supposed to be one giant film...most of 1 & 2 were shot at the same time. Hackman never shot any new footage after the first go around for 2.