Sign in to follow this  
Trace

V for Vendetta

Was that the scene that reminded me of Benny Hill for some reason? :)

Ah Americans and their views of British culture....

I didn't mind the sheer sucking of that scene, simply for the magnificence that is "Yakety Sax". If every movie played this song at least once, I think cinema as a whole would be better.

1) note to anyone who thinks that V for Vendetta was a shit film:

You need to go and rent or download some shit films.

2) note to anyone who thinks it was a shit comics adaptation:

If you're here, you already know the answer to that one.

Also: Batman Queen of Gotham City.

And it's worse for comics than books because so little is left to our imagination.

3) note to anyone who thinks it was a shit Alan Moore adaptation:

It's the best so far, and although that does not make it not shit, see #1 and #2.

1) note to anyone who thinks that V for Vendetta was a shit film:

You need to go and rent or download some shit films.

2) note to anyone who thinks it was a shit comics adaptation:

If you're here, you already know the answer to that one.

Also: Batman Queen of Gotham City.

And it's worse for comics than books because so little is left to our imagination.

3) note to anyone who thinks it was a shit Alan Moore adaptation:

It's the best so far, and although that does not make it not shit, see #1 and #2.

Agreed

I agree to the bad things said about Natalie Portman and thhe love element. Still I think the movie was fine - nowhere near the novel of course, but far better than what cinema usually delivers. I can also accept some of the changes were necessary because film is just a different medium. Among other differences, it cannot handle long monologues, and it does have a higher standard for believability (so V can't have the government by the balls in quite the way he did in the novel). It is also going to make some people buy the comic and SEE THE LIGHT, which is good.

Still the moviemakers made a lot of mistakes. I think Finch's acid trip should have been in it, and the story of how exactly V got out of his cell would have been great to include just because of the weirdness and because it makes no sense to have it go completely unexplained. And I'm SERIOUSLY disappointed all those masked people in the end had to wear black clothes. If it had been just everyday clothing and masks, it would have looked a lot more anarchic, much more in the spirit (not letter) of the novel and it wouldn't have triggered the near-universal disgust at this part in the reviews. Oh well, guess someone preferred cool over good.

Guest spiderlegs

Why use many many English actors except for one of the crucial leads? Why give that part to an American with a VERY BAD English accent? Makes no sense at ALL!

Why use many many English actors except for one of the crucial leads? Why give that part to an American with a VERY BAD English accent? Makes no sense at ALL!

Admittadly, She's the only real STAR, becuase obviously you never see Hugo's face (thank god-Judge Dredd anyone).

The only reason we have all those british actors, is because she was cast as Evey.

Except for John Hurt, he is the english bad guy after all? :huh:

Again Hollywood-Sense, that's one hard ledger you're trying to balance.

Guest spiderlegs

Nonsense! Authenticity is what wins you the adoration of the masses!

Portman's accent was awful. In a film comprised mostly of English actors, why in the FUCK did they get an American actress--one who can't even get the accent down--to play Evey? Need an English star who is also hot? Kiera Knightly, anyone? Utter fucking nonsense. I thought Hugo Weaving was excellent as V, but I was disappointed in most of the other performances, even Hurt's to some degree (and I think he's greatness).

I think one of the biggest culprits keeping this film from attaining its glory was the editing, of all things. It seemed like there was too much time at the end of scenes, causing the film to drag in some parts, really.

It's also obvious they filmed "their Crapowsky vision" of V (which got trashed by test audiences and fanboys alike), then reshot some scenes more true to the comic after they postponed the release from November to March. The trouble is, they didn't reshoot all of the ones they should have and what you are left with is this awkward mutated offspring partly of Moore's story and partly the Hollywood bang-bang vision of the brothers 'sky.

Could have been worse, but could have been SOOOO much better.

I wrote the same :)

Btw, while attending my train back home, i thought of something i didnt think before, while and after, but i think its (quite) important nevertheless:

Its obvious they modernized the novel, with all the cars, TVs and such things.

But when we talk about modern totalitarism, why did they leave out watching by cameras, eavesdropping by phone/ with wiretaps?

Thats a big part of fearmaking and totalitarism and i think that should have been totally in there.

Or did i overlook/forget something?

[nitpick]

Portman is Israeli.

Weaving is Australian.

Knightly wasn't quite the star at the time of production that she is now.

[/nitpick]

Spider: you're absolutely right.

Tom Cruise in Far and Away anyone?

Btw, while attending my train back home, i thought of something i didnt think before, while and after, but i think its (quite) important nevertheless:

Its obvious they modernized the novel, with all the cars, TVs and such things.

But when we talk about modern totalitarism, why did they leave out watching by cameras, eavesdropping by phone/ with wiretaps?

Thats a big part of fearmaking and totalitarism and i think that should have been totally in there.

When I "attend to my train" I'm not thinking of those things.....

Jokes aside, you bring up a good point hagren. In fact, Moore alludes to this himself in the 2nd part of the article inca was kind enough to link to. The installation of cameras in English neighborhoods in 1998 (?) was a big deal and should have been touched upon/echoed in the film. They really missed the boat on that one.

I still think it should have been grimier.

I watched it yesterday, then came home and re-read it. (I didn't think it fair to re-read it just before viewing.) I have to say, I'd forgotten a lot of what happens, it's been so long since I looked at it.

Well, the knives have been spoken about so I won't add anything.

The Stephen Fry bit with his TV show was deeply silly and pointless.

There was no explanation of how V escaped from Larkhill at all. If I hadn't known the story, I'd have thought a freak explosion gave him a chance to escape. I thought that should have been cleared up, as it's an early example of how V can wait and plan in a calm and calculated way.

I agree about him howling. Terrible.

The end was very unsatisfying, there should be a sense that Evey will lead the people to a (hopefully) better future. All those masked people. No. Dear me, no.

I may have enjoyed it more if I hadn't had to pay £5.20 to watch it. :icon_evil:

Ah yes, the lack of the Larkhill explanation.

Again, a missed opportunity. Larkhill would have reflected Abu Ghraib (and obviously, WW2 concentration camps) nicely. Another chance to make a political statement about current events........

Personally, I don't have much to add to everyone else's reviews, but to say that this film lacked teeth, which the comic had in spades.

AND for the first half of the film I found V to be an insufferable tosspot, which I don't get from the comic.

soldier: yes.

Pooka:

The end was more about "Now everyone works on a better future".

soldier2: Why, they explained Larkhill, but not how V escaped

pooka: yesyesyes!

In response to 1). man you must have watched some SHIT films in your time!

Did you get a fright fest pass?

Yep, see the first post in the new thread for movie discussion.

Listen, even Constanteen probably isn't in the bottom half of films that I have seen ordered in terms of quality. Oh wait, it is just outside the top half because I watched Guest House Paradiso again.

Hehe :)

I enjoyed Constantine more than V, but V is the better adaptation.

I like it halfway.

Not shyte, not good.

they explained Larkhill, but not how V escaped

But that's what I mean, it lacks humanization and therefore, relevance to our reality. They didn't go into it enough.

In the comic it was well detailed and important. It's where V, a force, is born. And it's how he gives birth to Evey's awakened state.

I didn't mind the sheer sucking of that scene, simply for the magnificence that is "Yakety Sax". If every movie played this song at least once, I think cinema as a whole would be better.

I wholeheartedly agree!!! More Yakety Sax for everyone.

...Its obvious they modernized the novel, with all the cars, TVs and such things.

Or did i overlook/forget something?

They didn't seem that tough for fascists (perhaps they were nihilists). They couldn't catch the #2 terrorist in England while she hung out at a famous TV star's house. She also had quite a nice flat. I also found the lack of grunginess distressing. In the book there are food shortages, rationing, and a general dinginess while the movie folks didn't look all that oppressed.