Sign in to follow this  
Trace

V for Vendetta

They didn't seem that tough for fascists (perhaps they were nihilists). They couldn't catch the #2 terrorist in England while she hung out at a famous TV star's house. She also had quite a nice flat. I also found the lack of grunginess distressing. In the book there are food shortages, rationing, and a general dinginess while the movie folks didn't look all that oppressed.

I guess the explanation for the lack of dinginess is that it's supposed to mirror modern Western culture. America and England are hardly all slums....

Not that I agree with the lack of dinginess, just positing a theory is all....... :-?

I found it strange that the one really iconic image of V getting ready to jump on the train was not used in some way.

Like many said before changing Finch from a talented outsider to a collaborator with only a half irish ancenstry hanging like an albatross around his neck was just horrid.

If they could of have at least included the death of Derek by V in Doctor Delia Surridge's house and the consequences of this action to Rosemary his wife it would have lifted the film from the simplistic wrong v.s right. What made V special for me was there were reprecutions felt by the innocent by V's actions in the film this is never touched on.

v.jpg

This is the teenage fan in me speaking now:

But post the train murders, where they think that he may have pierced their chests using his fingers.

Chilling stuff, would have worked well in the trailers-even if it wasn't used in the film.

Lyra: But this image is similar too the scene were he jumps on the roof of the priests house.

Yeah it should have been more darker, the way portayed like when they tried to rape Evey in the backyard.

i must of dozed off and missed it. I look for it when it comes to the dollar theater. It just seemed if they were going to show him screaming in three or four distinct seens the shadow would have been at least half as distinct. Please forgive me for the overuse of distinct.

The fingers would of been a nice touch for a death.

Its like i thaught: a maybe midly enjoyable film and adaptation with some meaning (which is shitkit compared to the GN) gets universal appraise:

After being quite long 7.9 on IMDB, it has 8.2 stars now and moved into the top 250 films on IMDB, what imho it surely isnt. Because in both ways (Fun film/Meaningful film, and maybe even the cross of them) there are better ones.

Though without the comic it may look quite good.

Hope it gets many people to the novel and to Moore.

(Thats just angries me because of TAF...)

I'd like to see the version of V that made that have to delay the release back in November. I guess we should be happy for the movie we got since it was worse before.

The film is good since it did shoot V up into the top ten on Amazon.

V is for vapid not for video in my book. I'd never buy the film.

I also dont would want to buy it on DVD.

Though i want to see it once again with subs to get everything.

Thats good that it boosted Gn-sales, it deserves it.

Yeah i would want to see as well how the first cut looked, just to know where they wanted to go before fans said "Oy!"

I'd like to see the version of V that made that have to delay the release back in November. I guess we should be happy for the movie we got since it was worse before.

Iv'e been to tonnes of test screenings and in my experience they are mostly changed for the worse.

I did uncredited and unpaid work on Ritchie's Revolver (hate myself), it was honestly more coherant in it's first cut.

People thought it was too long, hell so did I until the second shorter cut.

They weren't impressed when i mentioned that the second cut was worse.

Plus grilling people afterwards, most of them had not understood the film, when during the redundant interviews they said that they had.

People lie, most of them are yes men.

Which is a shame because i thought Revolver had fuckloads of potential, to metaphysically transcend it's gangster shell.

Only positive I think I ended up contrebuting was the music from the unused Bank job sequence of Escape From New York.

Hagren: You shouldn't put so much stock in IMDB, the majority of people that vote at that site are complete muppets. It's better to find critics that you either agree with frequently or trust, and use their reviews as a measuring stick. At least it's their job to be informed about what they review.

Lyra: As Testy said, the changes are rarely for the better. But the main reason V wasn't released in November is because of the London Tube bombings.

QUOTE(unknownsoldier @ Mar 22 2006, 08:48 PM)

QUOTE(dogpoet @ Mar 22 2006, 11:13 AM)

QUOTE(unknownsoldier @ Mar 22 2006, 06:39 PM)

It's certainly not a horror movie, but the 1950's nuclear cold war paranioa classic "Kiss Me Deadly" is still fantastic. Great Mike Hammer movie for those that like good ol' fashioned noir thrillers.

Oh God, yeah. I love that film. It's the only decent Mike Hammer flick ever made (though that may be more Mickey Spillane's fault than anything else). It was a box of smack in the book, was it not?

Honestly, I don't think I read that Spillane book. But if what you say is true then that is an awesome adjustment made by the filmmakers to address a concern of the times, the Wachowski's should've taken note .

Problem is that they did-I've posted this before.

The comic although quite universal, is still very much about the 80's, where the poorer film is about the here and know.

The problem for me, is that the change in chronological setting, means that you would probably have to reatomise the entire comic and start again to aptly reflect the times.

They poorly adapted the comic (still better than most sure), and then made alterations to it, as to be relevant now.

Unfortunately theses wedged in changes are not smooth and homogenous, infact contextually they glare.

I think I'll wait and rent the DVD in a few months time. From what I hear it doesn't look like there's any immediate need to spend a tenner on seeing this film in a theater.

Hagren:  You shouldn't put so much stock in IMDB, the majority of people that vote at that site are complete muppets.  It's better to find critics that you either agree with frequently or trust, and use their reviews as a measuring stick.  At least it's their job to be informed about what they review.

Lyra: As Testy said, the changes are rarely for the better.  But the main reason V wasn't released in November is because of the London Tube bombings.

Not that i care, just sometimes i dont get it :)

I know that the forum-users are unpolite and dumb very often though.

In truth, we shouldnt care, should we?

Well, I certainly didnt hate it as much as some of the others seem to have. As a fan of the comic book, I don't think the Wachowskis bastardized it as much as they could have (which isnt saying much, true) but I thought it was a decent film, one that I mostly enjoyed and occasionally admired. Not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but no piece of shit either. There's a lot to like. Will get into detail later on.

Not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but no piece of shit either.

Yepp.

Some very excellent scenes, some neat visuals, great acting from Weaving troghout, some very important political issues, funny lines, cool action dramatic/speech-scenes.

Shame that they forgot to mention Chaos vs. Anarchy, and the ultimate tool of the totalitarism, surveillance cameras, spies and likewises.

Also left out some very cool scenes of the book, V is not such a good character in the first half, and that it was a bit empty and not so dark etc.

Some annoying things like Sutler, overacting asf.

So yeah, not bad, but also not very good.

I will see it once again, but im not so interested in it anymore, the books much much better.

But i can see why people like it so much who dont know the GN, though my sister found it boring and not so special.

I've been expecting the worst for so long that I'm amazed to say that I enjoyed the film. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot, which is bizarre as reading through the all the faults listed in this thread, I agree with many of them but even so, somehow, for me the spirit of the original series still seeped out.

Ok..I saw the movie, and it's been a while since I've read the book (though I have read it twice);that said, I liked the movie. It was entertaining, it didn't shy away from the fact that the hero was a terrorist, the acting was good...

I'll buy it when it comes out.

Ok..I saw the movie, and it's been a while since I've read the book (though I have read it twice);that said, I liked the movie.  It was entertaining, it didn't shy away from the fact that the hero was a terrorist, the acting was good...

Now, just as a point of reference, do you often buy movies on DVD?

Ok..I saw the movie, and it's been a while since I've read the book (though I have read it twice);that said, I liked the movie.  It was entertaining, it didn't shy away from the fact that the hero was a terrorist, the acting was good...

Not as much as I used to, but I have 70 or 80 DVD's, I'm sure...I used to work at a video store, though.

I like to pick up Comic Book DVD's.

I did not buy Constantine or LXE, if that matters. Didn't buy From Hell, Either, though I thought it was an OK movie, if a bad adaptation.

Oh, BTW...Got the EVOO and the Cabernet Wine Vinegar! You rock! Thanks!

Not as much as I used to, but I have 70 or 80 DVD's, I'm sure...I used to work at a video store, though.

I did not buy Constantine or LXE, if that matters. Didn't buy From Hell, Either, though I thought it was an OK movie, if a bad adaptation.

Oh, cool! I wasn't sure if they got lost in transit since I never got a delivery confirmation.

Did you buy Hellboy, Batman Begins, or the Spider-Man movies?

I guess what I'm getting at is: Are you going to buy V because it was a good enough movie, or do you just buy a lot of movies in general. I'm beginning to think I may need to see it again when it comes out on dvd.....

Oh, I didn't even see the last few pages of that thread you (and the rest of us) got locked. That shit was hilarious! Particuarly Y's acidic post! I should've never dragged Mark or JMac's names into it, even though it was all in good fun...... Best. Byrne-like. Thread. Ever.

Thanks jay! :D

Oh, cool! I wasn't sure if they got lost in transit since I never got a delivery confirmation.

Did you buy Hellboy, Batman Begins, or the Spider-Man movies?

I guess what I'm getting at is: Are you going to buy V because it was a good enough movie, or do you just buy a lot of movies in general. I'm beginning to think I may need to see it again when it comes out on dvd.....

Oh, I didn't even see the last few pages of that thread you (and the rest of us) got locked. That shit was hilarious! Particuarly Y's acidic post! I should've never dragged Mark or JMac's names into it, even though it was all in good fun...... Best. Byrne-like. Thread. Ever.

Thanks jay! :D

It's funny, because I want the Spiderman, batman begins, and Hellboy DVD's...along with Ghost World, Road to Perdition, American Splendor...buy I don't have any of these! Ah! I have to get shopping!

I like to buy DVDs, mostly if something was a good film or i didnt see it but i would want to (The latter category should be a rental, i discovered. And you have to think about it if you really would watch this DVD often, or get something out of it).

With me its like this, if i have money i spend the most on DVDs if not, than i dont buy any of course.

I have 114 DVDs or something, from that Spiderman 1, Spiderman 2, Hellboy, X-Men, X-Men 2, Batman Begins Constantine, Sin City, Oldboy and Fantastic Four are the comicbookfilms.

I dont want to buy V, but i want to see it definetly again with subs, because im not giving up fast on something that isnt completely shit.