Sign in to follow this  
Trace

V for Vendetta

I havent seen the film YET so i cannot comment but -

It's also for Valueless gibberish. Yet another graphic novel has been bulldozed on to the screen, strutting its stuff for an assumed army of uncritical geeks - a fanbase product from which the fanbase has been amputated.

Peter Bradshaw - http://film.guardian.co.uk/

I do so hope this man falls down a flight of stairs!

Why do you hope he falls down a flight of stairs?

Oi!

To everyone who didnt see the film but is tempted to see it ,away from the not so good vis quality but okay sound, you can stream the whole film here (No downloads):

Good lookin' out Hags, I just watched it again and I found it much more enjoyable upon second viewing..... Still don't care for the last 15 minutes, primarily the love story, the thousands of V's, and the fact that Finch didn't kill V, but all my other complaints seemed less important. The film grew on me, and I'd rank it fairly highly on the comic book movie list. Wish someone other than Portman played Evey, and that there was a better connection between the two leads (especially in light of the love story) but still, a pretty damn good movie.

When i watched those 5 minutes, i also thought its better, because i didnt dislike it the first time, and i knew now what to expect.

X-Men, Sin City and Spiderman 2 had also to grow on me.

I just saw the movie "based" on V for Vendetta.

The Good:

-Hugo Weaving. Very,very good as V. He had the character down very well, with solid acting while under a mask.

-Natalie Portman. Not her acting, mind you, which was nothing special, but just looking at her. Very beautiful. And yes even with a shaved head.

(creepy side note: a man a few seats back giggled, yes giggled, when he saw Evey in the dress and pig-tails when meeting the Bishop. It was creepy because it was one of those weird giggles that might come from a pedophile)

>>I was wondering if anybody has seen any pictures on-line of Evey in the above mentioned costume from V For Vendetta? :icon_rolleyes:

-Good set design on the Shadow Gallery.

The Bad:

-Everything else in the movie.

-They did a bad job of portraying the state as being oppressive, facist, etc. The book does it perfectly, the movie not so.

-The whole point of Evey transformation was handled horribly. Evey was meant to replace V. She didn't go through the whole fake torture just so she could flip a damn switch.

-The crowd of Vs, while making some sense within the context of the movie, just seemed silly when I thought of how the book ends. So all these people have just been hiding their anger towards their government, but just didn't know what to do with it until they received Guy Fawkes mask? And even from the beginning the people were far too quick to side with V. Bull.

-Portman's English accent. Far from terrible, still not good.

-"Knife-time." That slo-mo knife stuff was just crap. Wachowski's enough already. It was cool in the Matrix. Yeah bullets move faster than I can see, so thanks for the help, but not knives. I can follow them easliy enough.

I agree very much with Avaunt, y'all are just a little TOO picky!

I thoroughly enjoyed it in all its completeness. And contrary to what most said, I thought Portman did a fantastic job. I would love to see any of you adopt another accent for an entire movie and do a job half as good as she did, and yet I see none of you complaining that V's accent wasn't even in the least bit english. But accent aside, scenes for example, like when she came out of the prison, and went through the stages of realisation and disbelief, was an amazingly compelling piece of cinema.

The whole "love story" thing that I have seen complaints about to me seem unfounded, because I did not see it as a love story in the hollywood sense, it went deeper than that, just as the toilet paper note spoke of loving the reader.

I also thought the ending rather superb (granted that i am yet to finish the comic.. haha) How it tied altogether with Evey's final statement.

I also (like Avaunt) thought the satire on the Tele as excellent and enjoyable, not embarrasing, because I wasn't allowing myself to be caught up in what is was, but what it represented, and I think Avaunt was on the ball when he said that Dietrich didn't really understand just what a shit storm he was brewing for himself. Lets face it, without that scene, you wouldn't have had the extremely gripping scene of him being flogged and dragged off.

My only small complaints were simply that they had to show the mask of rockwood (sp?) on V's table, as if we were completely oblivious that it was V speaking to the inspector, and I didn't quite get how just because it was V, suddenly all those compelling words and stories became detestable to the inspector, because he was himself on a voyage of discovery already that tied in so closely to what V revealed to him! So why should it appall him?

Secondly, the knife fight scene was superb, but there was in fact no need to have trails behind the knife points, it was just a bit silly.

Other than that, I loved it, and though I am not really in the comic book buying or reading business these days, I think this one needs to be on my shelf regardless!

Oh, by the way, Hi everyone :) I am still alive! Funny... when one sees a comic book adaptation, he knows where the most viable and interesting discussion will reside ;)

Saw it recently (saturday), and while I agree with Mark's criticism about the chage in Finch's role at the end, the rest of the film struck me as a rather good adaptation. The fact that they had updated from the "nuclear holocaust" as reason for the fascist dictatorship to "fear of terrorism" was actually a MASSIVE plus in my book, as it actually makes the film relevant.

As for the "V crowd" at the end, I have mixed feelings. The problem in the book is that the spontaneous uprising seems a bit too optimistic. The distributed V masks was clever, because it's easier to see how people could be enboldened into protest by the cover of anonymity. In addition, I had a really hard time not to associate the aerial photos of the converging crowds with the massive antiwar demonstrations in London in 2003. I hardly think that was coincidence.

But Finch's story was seriously undermined - what was the end point of his story, except that he gave his green light for the "revolution"?

The problem in the book is that the spontaneous uprising seems a bit too optimistic. 

I dont believe that the books uprising was both spontaneous and optimistic.

In the book, V plunges them into anarchy.

The uprising of the book, was an uprising out of sheer forced desperation (the looting etc), not a specificaly coordinated and unified V protest/uprising.

In the book, V forces the public's hand, by cynically creating conditions ripe for revolt.

It is the uprising of the film that is optimistic, and the crowds at home are disillusioned enough to merely require a figurehead.

However, your remark concerning the masks is astute, and that they paradoxically can express their individuality by conforming to a specific persona etc.

I've just thought of something. Brace yourselves.

If these films are really aimed at the (often) niche markets of comic or graphic novel readers, and then proceed to change evrything that those readers like, who the hell are these things aimed at? You want action, you go for mission impossible or something big budgety of that ilk. And if you're one of the fans, then you'll avoid it like the plague.

I've just thought of something.  Brace yourselves.

If these films are really aimed at the (often) niche markets of comic or graphic novel readers, and then proceed to change evrything that those readers like, who the hell are these things aimed at?  You want action, you go for mission impossible or something big budgety of that ilk.  And if you're one of the fans, then you'll avoid it like the plague.

Evidently, the studio didnt make this connection, which is why the movie didnt do all that well. That said, I do think that the fans of the comic mustve showed up pretty much en masse. I'm guessing.

I just saw the film today, and I'm surprised at the support for the W. overtones of the film that I'm reading. It just didn't sit well with me that they tried to cram an alagory of current American politics into the original story, what little of it they retained. I thought that Natalie Portman was completely awful as Evey, her Brittish accent being as good as Kevin Costner's in Robin Hood. The only time in the film she was worth her salt was during the "imprisonment" scenes. However, and on the flipside of the coin, Hugo Weaving was too good as V to have been forced to work in such a shit adaptation. He really made me believe in V as a character. The loss of Mr. and, most importantly, Mrs. Almond from the story was an unfortunate fuck up on the part of the screenwriter leading to the ultimately anti-climatic ending. I was saddened to see Fate as a concept in the film completely removed as well. I didn't appreciate the replacement of that particular character with the main emphasis on the BTN as the main tool of propaganda. Fate the system is a character in the original story and losing it takes away some of Adam Susan (Sutler)'s character development, and ultimate downfall. Overall I found it to be a mediocre adaptation of the comic book story, a decent movie, and the best Alan Moore film adaptation thus far. Hollywood prevails.

well, DVD is out for sale. preview has ended.

anyway, visit our board to see more previews.

here

Forum "interchange" is a nice concept!.

It has been nice to visit you also. see ya!

what is not good? the post? you may have it removed 8-)

it´s just that there where many hits

on the server asking for the stream.

So here it is. But.. are you complaining about it´s quality? :o

Krydiam, you are the man!

I watched the movie via your streaming links a month or two ago, and the quality was excellent.

Don't listen to that old curmudgeon TonyB!

You're good in my book.

I meant it's not good that you made it so easy to steal it and watch it. When I was a kid, we had to work hard for our downloads! We had to um... like.. go to KaZaa, and wait 3 days for the movie to finish downloading!

Ok I'm curmudgeonly. I kind of like it.

Good on ya, Krydiam.

well, kazza it´s kind of recent, and it sucks a litlle! :laugh:

Yes, I do remember those days where some friend would

give you a cd with a pre-release and you would jump and say,

"wow, where did you get this?"

These days we have like an underground hollywod, lol...

cheers to you too tony. B!

Cool!

I linked your video back then, hope youre not angry, and i still didnt watch it :lol:

But im going to.

The quality suffices, not horrible, but decent.

At least its no giga-download :)

If you have problems with Kazaa, use Kazaalite.

Its the same without all this junk stuff.

But its hard to get it nowadays, legal thingos, you know.

It´s ok, no prob. as long as there is bandwith, it will play! :biggrin:

thank´s for the tip. There´s a lot to chose from these days. 8-)

but sorry on these topics, I don´t want to talk too much on these.

Google is indexing all we post in forums. we ned robots.txt :unsure: