Sign in to follow this  
Trace

V for Vendetta

If you mean the great big alliterative "v...v...v...v..v..." thing with which he introduces himself to Evey during their first encounter, then no, it's not.

In the comic, he introduces himself with some lines from Macbeth (slightly abridged):

The multiplying villanies of nature

Do swarm upon him (...)

And fortune, on his damned quarrel smiling,

Show'd like a rebel's whore: but all's too weak:

For brave Macbeth--well he deserves that name--

Disdaining fortune, with his brandish'd steel,

Which smoked with bloody execution,

Like valour's minion carved out his passage

Till he faced the slave;

Which ne'er shook hands, nor bade farewell to him..."

While reading this my synapses follow a link to a voice file, and play it, like i would have heard quoted that somewhere.

Wasnt that, additionally, in the film?

Especially with the "Disdaining fortune....bloody execution"-line.

Even if V seems mediocre at first glance, it just cant be worse than Daredevil. What can?

I actually liked Daredevil... :blush:

Even if V seems mediocre at first glance, it just cant be worse than Daredevil. What can?

Daredevil was way less cool than it could have been. Oh course, I had high hopes and they were dashed. Maybe that's why I'm bitter. That said, If they made another one I would still see it.

Guest spiderlegs

Ben Affleck can kill any movie...except DOGMA which could have been killed by anyone yet lived.

DAREDEVIL sucked. I'm usually critical of films, I realize this, but he was SUCH a bad choice for the role.

This was an exceptionally good film. Hugo Weaving is proud of it, and I'm proud of him. Natalie Portman, with the exception of the awful SW prequels, moved me in at least two spots close to tears. I bought the original American versions of the comics back in the late eighties (?) and was blown away at my tender young age at the concepts in the book. I've purchased the trade a few times cos I loan it to everyone and sometimes loaners don't come back.

The Wackowski (sp.) Brothers really outdid themselves here. After The third Matrix film made me gag, I decided I wouldn't rent a movie just because they were involved, it was such a let down; thus I was expecting the usual comic to film disappointment. I don't even remember the last time a film had scenes that made my eyes all watery. The delivery of anarchic ideas to post-9/11 North America, complete with martyrs and exploding government buildings was real risk.

Natalie's conversion in V's hideout was handled wonderfully, her shorn head was incredibly sexy, Hugo's performance was stellar considering he had no face to show expression, the effects were spot on, the families watching the TV and finding their inspiration during V's excellent and lucid broadcast... what were the naysayers looking for that wasn't there? Hopefully not accuracy to the graphic novel?

The biggest detractor was the ridiculous villainy of the state. I appreciate that you cannot translate that many supporting villains to a two hour movie, but a giant yelling TV screen was a tad foolish.

Indeed. When I first saw it I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Now a few months after the novelty had worn off, I see the flaws in it and I I think it's merely excellent. Weaving as Rokwood and Evey's prison guard was so stupid that I wonder if it was intended to fool anyone. Leaving out V's link to the Carson was the thing that drove me to read the book (not that I wouldn't have done it anyway). Also it seems strange how no one wasn't willing to say they wanted a revolution.

I must say, I don't like Portman one bit, my grandpa Moses can pull off a better accent than her. Listening to my friends bitching on how she sacreficed her beauty by cutting her hair only made it worse.

Weaving as V was so brilliant that you'd think that porcelin mask was made of Human skin. Rea, Alam and Fry were top notch. Hurt was good but underplayed.

what were the naysayers looking for that wasn't there? Hopefully not accuracy to the graphic novel?

I wasn't looking for total fidelity, but an ending which wasn't a full 180 degree reversal of the book's conclusion and purpose would have been nice.

Book: Finch & Evey both undergo a transformative process, culminating in Finch killing V, and Evey taking his place. The significance of this ending is complex, but boils down to the duality of V himself/the underlying anarchic subtext being given full expression, with the two characters representing V's destructive nature and constructive intent, respectively.

Film: Finch has bugger-all to do with V's death, reducing his entire role in the story to little more than that of a bumbling "explaining the plot to the audience" investigator. Meanwhile, everybody in London becomes V except for Evey, who, instead of being the key character in the closing moments, just sort of vanishes after V's no-really-what-the-fuck-were-they-thinking? declaration of love on the platform. The significance of this ending is facile, but boils down to the Wachowski Bros. thinking that it would look really cool to have a whole bunch of extras wearing Guy Fawkes masks.

Being fair, up until the final 25 minutes or so, I was genuinely surprised and impressed at how well it was done - it wasn't the book, by any means, but was a fairly entertaining, if intellectually-confused, re-interpretation of it. The film-makers also get serious kudos for including the interrogation/prisoner's letter sequence more-or-less intact, although the "you see what we're doing here? Do you? Do you?" juxtaposition of Evey's rain-soaked 'baptism' and V's fiery escape from Larkhill was a bit too heavy-handed for my tastes.

I could go into more detail about how the attempt to update the book's intrinsically of-its-time political content into a heavy-handed War On Terror allegory left the film's subtext confused and unconvincing, while the deliberate excision of any mention of anarchism as a political philosophy rendered the whole enterprise utterly fucking pointless anyway, but why bother? Based on the many previous occasions when our tastes have clashed, you probably already think I'm just a bitter ranting hater-of-everything anyway. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it, though. No, seriously.

Yeah, but fuck those guys. Why should those of us who actually pay attention to the films we're watching have to put up with cack-handed, over-the-top symbolism just for the benefit of the slow kids who've been huffing pots of glue in the back row?

Yeah, but fuck those guys. Why should those of us who actually pay attention to the films we're watching have to put up with cack-handed, over-the-top symbolism just for the benefit of the slow kids who've been huffing pots of glue in the back row?

I love you.

I love you.

I saw him first.

I love you.

I saw him first.

No, Tony B. did.

I could go into more detail about how the attempt to update the book's intrinsically of-its-time political content into a heavy-handed War On Terror allegory left the film's subtext confused and unconvincing, while the deliberate excision of any mention of anarchism as a political philosophy rendered the whole enterprise utterly fucking pointless anyway, but why bother? Based on the many previous occasions when our tastes have clashed, you probably already think I'm just a bitter ranting hater-of-everything anyway. ;)

I again have laughed until I have now pissed all over myself. Mark you are a bitter ranting hater of everything bastach, and God bless you for it. I'll be damned and go to hell that was funny. :lol:

I thought DD was pretty good. Far better than it could've ended up, as we've seen with other comic movies.

The world is set up in a way to make special allowances for the stupid people. The rest of us have to suffer, because this is not our world. In a democracy, the majority must be allowed to rule, while the minority's rights are protected. Therefore, we have the right to come to this little internet community.

Based on the many previous occasions when our tastes have clashed, you probably already think I'm just a bitter ranting hater-of-everything anyway. ;)

Just for the record, these many occasions you refer to, I know I'm the white trash of this community. At first I was so impressed by the place that I kept my tastes to myself, but after a few months, I said what the hell, it is either eternal silence or play the fool. And when I do have the idea that someone is being an elitist hater, I just have to post and compare my anoerexic two-or-three sentence message to the lucid and usually well-crafted responses I get.

I've been to a couple comic book message boards and generally speaking, the level of conversation is abysmal. Here, however, I have yet to see a versus topic of who is stronger, Hulk or Superman? So next time you roll your eyes, do it with a grin cos I am so on board that I almost roll them at myself. I just. Can't. Help. Myself.

I know I'm the white trash of this community.

Hey pal I'm the white trash of this community. This trailer park just ain't big enough for the two of us. Dueling banjos at dawn sir. And if you are a gentleman you will be there.

Well, what are you waiting for?

You know as soon as white trash moves into the high class district, the first thing they do is put their couch on the front lawn to bring down property values and piss off the snobs.

Get to work ghettoing up the neighbourhood!

Start making those "Who is Stronger" polls and "Who's the Baddest Bad Ass, Dr. Doom or Magneto" polls, and start telling us that X-Men comics are the best comics on the market and why Scott Lobdell is the greatest comic writer of all time.

You're not doing your job!

No. Don't really do that. Adrian will just be kept busy locking threads all day.