Sign in to follow this  
Trace

V for Vendetta

I was looking up John Hurt on the wiki after I heard he was in 1984:

Co-author and illustrator David Lloyd embraced the adaptation. In an interview with Newsrama.com, he states: "It's a terrific film. The most extraordinary thing about it for me was seeing scenes that I'd worked on and crafted for maximum effect in the book translated to film with the same degree of care and effect. The "transformation" scene between Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving is just great. If you happen to be one of those people who admires the original so much that changes to it will automatically turn you off, then you may dislike the film — but if you enjoyed the original and can accept an adaptation that is different to its source material but equally as powerful, then you'll be as impressed as I was with it."

I don't want what he's having if it makes me see Aliens in everything!

What some of you don't get is there are people who have never read V but they got the central message and they love the film for that, even the mask at the end. it makes a bit more significance if everyone watching them film can get the idea that they can all be like V and defy a oppressive government... i mean do u see who's running for president in the US Im scared on both sides of the aisle... I might just move to England

I was chatting about this the other night actually - I still love the film. Not as much as the book but the book doesn't have Hugo Weaving (or Stephen Fry come to think of it).

It could have been subtler, it could have been slightly more vivid but I don't know if it would have been any better - and lord knows it could have been a hell of a lot shitter! I think it did a great job of bringing a potentially unmarketable (Britain? Guy Fawkes? Terrorism?) tale to the big screen and adding a bit of thought to what was a very entertaining movie.

Hugo Weaving, I tells ya!

(plus my best friend's baby is due on November 5th so I am desperately trying to encourage 'V' names for the newborn)

But it's a really bad film.

Not because it strays too far from the source material but because most of the perfomances are sub-pantomime, the direction slack, the pacing is lacklustre and the ending is pure, festering cheese.

Also, considering that it's meant to be set in Britain it's actually nothing like Britain (even though most of the actors in it are British!). It feels like an American's idea of what Britain should be.

I might just move to England

Bearing in mind how in thrall this country is to your accursed dollar what makes you think it'll be any different there?

Politically, Britain's just America with shitter weather these days.

But it's a really bad film.

Not because it strays too far from the source material but because most of the perfomances are sub-pantomime, the direction slack, the pacing is lacklustre and the ending is pure, festering cheese.

Also, considering that it's meant to be set in Britain it's actually nothing like Britain (even though most of the actors in it are British!).

It feels like an American's idea of what Britain should be.

Too true.

Furthermore, Stephen Fry's performance in this film was far from noteworthy.

What some of you don't get is there are people who have never read V but they got the central message and they love the film for that, even the mask at the end. it makes a bit more significance if everyone watching them film can get the idea that they can all be like V and defy a oppressive government... i mean do u see who's running for president in the US Im scared on both sides of the aisle... I might just move to England

And what some of you person don't get is that there are people who thought [a] that it was shit anyway (see: Tom), and/or that depressingly-little of the central message of the book actually made it into the film, what with the removal of any references to Anarchism as a political movement, and the shoe-horning in of a thoroughly-contemporary War On Terror allegory which, despite some superficial thematic resonance, is concerned with a very different ideological conflict from the one Alan Moore was writing about in the 1980s. Whether the central message of the film is a worthwhile one (and, like you, I rather think it was, although I disagree with you as to how effectively it was put across) is, in that regard, largely irrelevant.

Also, and perhaps most crucially, [c] that "oh, you just didn't get it" is possibly the single most cretinous response anyone can make to criticism of a film which they themselves enjoyed. So, it's probably best to avoid using it if you want to be taken remotely seriously.

on a funny note if you own the double disc dvd... you can get a skit of natalie portman swearing and cursing from snl sketch