Sign in to follow this  
The Question

Gaiman on comic book movies

Fair enough. I still say complaining about crappy scripts for a proposed film of a comic is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, though.

Not if you've negotiated a contract which gives you some degree of script approval, it isn't.

Anyway, that's me out of this discussion. Sorry I let myself get baited.

Not a problem. I was forgetting applying my habitual lack of tact to Gaiman would be a faux pas around here.

Mark:I have no idea what you're on about. Gaiman has read some Sandman scripts, didn't think they were very good, and has said so. That's all there is to this - it's totally unrelated to any interest he may have in seeing films adapted from other people's comics, and has nothing to do with whether or not the film is or isn't going to be made. It's just a simple case of a writer giving an honest opinion of a script adapted from something he wrote, and therefore has a proprietory interest in."

DogPoet replies:"I just find it odd that he's getting precious about it after selling the film rights"

Holy hell!

Mark and DogPoet wrote the exact same posts twice!

I thought my computer had pulled me to the top of the page, but nope, I think they actually copied and pasted the original argument over again!

That's when you know you've run a discussion into the ground. :lol:

Holy hell!

Mark and DogPoet wrote the exact same posts twice!

I thought my computer had pulled me to the top of the page, but nope, I think they actually copied and pasted the original argument over again!

That's when you know you've run a discussion into the ground. :lol:

If we'd kept it going any longer I'd doubtless have accused him of flip flopping and he'd have started to argue that my lack of support for Gaiman was letting the terrorists win...

:ohmy:

I was forgetting applying my habitual lack of tact to Gaiman would be a faux pas around here.

Next time you want to start an argument based more on your own prejudices about a writer than on the actual facts of the case in question, could you let me know in advance? It'd save time and effort for all concerned.

Cheers!

I was forgetting applying my habitual lack of tact to Gaiman would be a faux pas around here.

Next time you want to start an argument based more on your own prejudices about a writer than on the actual facts of the case in question, could you let me know in advance? It'd save time and effort for all concerned.

Cheers!

I really need to look into Sandman to see what inspires such loyalty. Christian, were you saying in the other thread that #51 is a really good single issue? And if you could think of any others, that would be great.

No single issue can bring across the sheer brilliance of Sandman. If you have to pick a single issue, one of those collected in Fables and Reflections might be a good idea but, really, Josh, you should read the entire thing from start to finish. If you don't want to invest any money in the thing before reading it, go to a library. But seriously, read it all. I don't think there's a person here who wouldnt recommend it heartily. There is no way that you will be able to get just how good this series is by reading just one issue. Glimpse, taste, indication - perhaps. But why just pick up a crumb instead of eating the whole tremendous pie.

I really need to look into Sandman to see what inspires such loyalty.

My comments in this thread had absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of Gaiman's writing (which is far from universally positive, anyway).

Oh, and Christian's recommendations are all solid. Issue #8 and the Sandman Special, featuring the Orpheus story, are also pretty damn good.

Abhi - yes, Sandman is worth reading from beginning to end. But if Josh has never been grabbed by the urge to read the series before, and just wants to see if he thinks it's worth his while investing that amount of time and/or money in a series, suggestions like that aren't particularly helpful (if nothing else, I'm sure he's been told that before plenty of times). Besides, first impressions count, and the first volume of Sandman is relatively poor.

I thought it pertinent to make sure that Josh knew that a single issue cannot give a very accurate impression of the overall quality of the series, given its epic nature.

I thought it pertinent to make sure that Josh knew that a single issue cannot give a very accurate impression of the overall quality of the series, given its epic nature.

Not actually true: there are a lot of the single issue stories that can be read in isolation from the rest. Most of Dream Country, August and Ramadan for a start.

Not actually true: there are a lot of the single issue stories that can be read in isolation from the rest. Most of Dream Country, August and Ramadan for a start.

I never said that there werent any that could be read in isolation. There's plenty - the entirety of Fables and Reflections for a start. What I said was that no single issue can give an accurate picture of the epic brilliance of the series as a whole.

I never said that there werent any that could be read in isolation. There's plenty - the entirety of Fables and Reflections for a start. What I said was that no single issue can give an accurate picture of the epic brilliance of the series as a whole.

Arguably, but that isn't what he was asking, was it?

man........

i know it wasnt what he was asking. I just thought it a pertinent bit of info that it might be useful to throw out there. Hardly counts as some sort of horrendous, unforgiveable drift from the topic, does it?

Hardly counts as some sort of horrendous, unforgiveable drift from the topic, does it?

How can you even ask that? Of course it does.

You monster.

Hardly counts as some sort of horrendous, unforgiveable drift from the topic, does it?

How can you even ask that? Of course it does.

You monster.

Not actually true: a monster is technically a side-show freak 8-)

man........

i know it wasnt what he was asking. I just thought it a pertinent bit of info that it might be useful to throw out there. Hardly counts as some sort of horrendous, unforgiveable drift from the topic, does it?

"Can you recommend a single issue of Sandman?"

"No. Read the whole thing."

Eh, lame-ass joke, conceived and birthed about an hour after I really ought to have been asleep. Pay no heed :blink:

True though - "monster" derives from the Latin "monstrare", "to show". Originally applied to things which were being shown off, such as circus freaks :)

I recommend any issue of "The kind ones" trades (2 pcs).

They are easy to read, but still very weird, interesting, mythical and funny/charming/shocking etc.

Eh, lame-ass joke, conceived and birthed about an hour after I really ought to have been asleep. Pay no heed :blink:

True though - "monster" derives from the Latin "monstrare", "to show". Originally applied to things which were being shown off, such as circus freaks :)

Isn't it something to do with their monstrosity showing God's displeasure with some part of his creation?

Isn't it something to do with their monstrosity showing God's displeasure with some part of his creation?

Doubt it. That sounds like contrived Victorian wishful-thinking to me.