wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Lou K    1,098
11 hours ago, Ixnay by Night said:

his two Ghost Rider minis with Clayton Crain were perfect evidence of that.  "Road to Damnation" was everything I don't like about his writing while "Trail of Tears" was fantastic.

Very much this. Classic night and day Garf right there.

EDIT - Hell, his Nick Fury stuff is the same way. 1st mini - terrible. 2nd mini - quite good. My War Gone By - top notch

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

dogpoet    498

Amazingly, I have never read Hitman.

You really should: it's pretty much Preacher with the limp dick jokes switched for slapstick and no hope of a happy ending for the protagonist at all.

JasonT    456

The first issue of A Walk Through Hell (Aftershock Comics) was stunning. If he can maintain that standard, it'll raise the bar for horror comics.

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2018 at 10:04 PM, JasonT said:

The first issue of A Walk Through Hell (Aftershock Comics) was stunning. If he can maintain that standard, it'll raise the bar for horror comics.

Read the first two issues of A Walk Through Hell today, and while the second issue didn't maintain the momentum of the first, that first issue was goddamned amazing.  That opening sequence literally took my breath my away.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,098

I liked Jennifer Blood maybe a little bit more than I should have. It felt like you got the good and bad Garth with this one. The protagonist has an ongoing internal monologue that was good to read; really fleshed out the character's thoughts as she tries to balance life as a mother of 2 and also as an assassin. Add lots of shameless violence, and a sprinkle of dick jokes, and there you have it. I thought it ended rather abruptly, but still was enjoyable